New Missouri Member

SlabHammer

Hey all, new guy here from Southwest MO. I'm a long-time whitetail hunter and a run-and-gun turkey chasing addict. Also an avid fisherman, especially for crappie (which is the reason for the screen name). I'm afraid I've caught the fever to do a DIY western hunt, though at this point I am torn between elk and antelope with a rifle or muzzleloader. I know chasing animals in the plains and mountains is going to be a learning curve from what I know, but I have extensive past experience backpacking/camping in the mountains so I'm hoping I can make a semi-competent go at a first trip this year. However, for a flat lander used to buying OTC tags for turkey and whitetail, there are an overwhelming number of options and decisions to make. This forum has already been a great source of info and I'm trying to soak it up! Big thanks in advance to those who take the time to share their knowledge and experience on here, and best wishes to all for 2018!

I'd recommend getting familiar with each states draw processes. Randy has some excellent youtube videos that explain the draw processes for each state. You'll probably want to start accumulating preference points somewhere and creating a hunt plan for the states you are interested in hunting.

If you want to hunt this fall you have some OTC choices, colorado elk for one. If you don't mind shooting does, there are antelope opportunities in Wyoming as well you could get without any points.

I'd recommend getting familiar with each states draw processes. Randy has some excellent youtube videos that explain the draw processes for each state. You'll probably want to start accumulating preference points somewhere and creating a hunt plan for the states you are interested in hunting.

If you want to hunt this fall you have some OTC choices, colorado elk for one. If you don't mind shooting does, there are antelope opportunities in Wyoming as well you could get without any points.

Very much appreciated Buckbull! Since this is all new to me, my goal for first hunt is really just to learn what it takes to find these animals and get close to em, so cow tags are exactly what I'm looking at right now...would love to put some elk meat in the freezer and I never had no luck cooking antlers anyway:p

Welcome from Wyo, the wife has family in Springfield and love visiting that place. We've been contemplating on jumping into that bow fishing tournament on Table Rock this year. Hard to beat crappie, one of my favorite table fare fish.

Welcome from Iowa. I did my first western hunt last fall. I started with a wyoming antelope hunt. Its a great hunt to start with. Also got to drive through some mountains and see mule deer while I was there. I am now addicted and have some hunts planned for the next 3 years. Which ever state and species you decide get on the game and fish website and learn your way around it.

Welcome from Wyo, the wife has family in Springfield and love visiting that place. We've been contemplating on jumping into that bow fishing tournament on Table Rock this year. Hard to beat crappie, one of my favorite table fare fish.

Table Rock is a beautiful lake. I mostly fish Truman. The bowfishing tourneys are catching on up there too, and it looks like a blast. Shoot me a message me a message next time you are in town and we'll go wet a line, or I will at least send you home with a sack of crappie from my freezer!

Back