base layers

midwesthunter

Whats peoples opinion on base layers? Specifically merino wool vs synthetics like under armors cold gear? I have the under armor and works great, heavies I have is their 2.0. I have never had anything with merino wool. Is it worth getting some over what I already have from under armor?

I have some of both.
The merino regulates much better, so when hiking you don't get as swamped and feel like you have to get out of them ASAP.
The merino is more comfortable (not as binding) to me. The merino doesn't get that stink to it after a few days (or a week). The UA dries a little quicker.
I haven't worn my UA in 2 or 3 years.

What John said.
I have some synthetics, I wear them & stink at the end of the day.
I try & find merino on sale now. Just got some cheap light models @Cabellas from bargain barn & they are better than the synthetics too.Should have bought 2 sets,now I can't find them.
Got Smartwool from REI on sale & it is the best I have so far.
Only downside is they can be chewed by moths like any wool.Cedar is their friend tho.

I like the combo stuff (merino mixed with synthetic). Seems to be the best of both worlds. First lite Aerowool is really nice. I've also used Patagonia and thats good too, doesn't quite have the softness of the First lite stuff tho.

I bought my first merino base layer tops this year to try instead of the UA cold gear I have always worn. I love the way synthetics move the moisture away from your body but at the end of a day or 2 days tops they stink real bad. THe merino on the other hand had no smell to it after 3 days of wearing it in a row.

I just got some First Lite Aerowool as well. The stuff is revolutionary to me. I've had regular old cotton long johns as well as synthetic stuff and used to get swamped immediately. No problems at all with merino, even when I should be sweatier than a coke bottle in Florida.

I will say, though, that the stuff that I got isn't all that warm. I'm sure if you got some heavier weight fabric it would be though.

I don't care if UA gave me every garment they make for free, I'd still throw it away and buy my own merino. I literally did throw my UA cold gear away recently...

It's all a compromise, there's no single best option. I've used good quality wool, synthetics, and blends. The the blends I've had (Rab Cocona and Outdoor Research Sequence) tend to not be as soft as either synthetic or wool under heavy loads, in the hips and lower back. I've gotten bloody from the shirt grinding my skin up on 100+ pound packouts. Overall I prefer wool against my skin, but if hunting in more humid environments I might not. Synthetics are always going to move moisture more effectively and dry faster. For me, using light wool that dries fast enough, but still offers improved feel (in my opinion) and comfort through a wider range of conditions is my sweet spot. A lot of it is just personal preference.

I use to wear merino. Synthetics are way warmer for me. I've bought my last merino item. I've got some UA pieces and love them. That was before they started putting lime green stripes in their camo clothing, though.

I only have one trip that I’ve used merino under my belt but I’m sold on it. Had the same shirt on for almost a week and no smell. That’s hiking all day everyday. I do like my UA for sitting in tree stands in cold Midwest deer hunts though. The UA gets to be to much when I’m moving a lot though.

I'm sold on the Sitka line of synthetics with the silver thread or whatever that keeps them from getting smelly. Merino is great, and I have a ton of it, but it doesn't dry well and to me is not as soft against the skin. I was really impressed this fall with how quickly the core lightweight longsleeve shirt dried and wicked moisture to outer layers. I have worn it XC skiing a couple times this winter and it continues to impress. For me, it stays just as stink free as merino and feels a little softer against my skin.

I’m always changing base layers and have tried a fair number of brands (9 in fact). I’ve finally settled on merino wool. I like the midweight stuff from LLBean and the heavyweight stuff from Woolx. I have some UA including the base 4.0 stuff but it doesn’t get used much. I just find the merino works, doesn’t smell and is comfortable. Merino does take longer to dry however.

Synthetics can be quite useful baselayers. They wick and dry fast and keep you warm.

But I too like merino. Although I am not a Kuiu fan, they make a zip off merino 3/4 long john which is my favorite piece of outdoor clothing. It goes with me everywhere. When you get warm, just zip them off. Sun goes down? Kuiu thermals go back on.

Back