PEAX Equipment

Wyoming units 16, 17, or 23?

duckhunt

Looking to put in for some antelope doe tags with my dad and 2 boys. Looks like 16, 17, or 23 are sure bets. Just curious about access to public land. Looks like there is a few county roads around. Any advice or other unit suggestions?

There are better units that those three when all doe tags are by random draw with no PPs being used. If you do a search on this antelope forum over the last 2 or 3 years you'll see that 16 takes lots of miles on the boots to find animals, 17 has even less accessible public land than 16, and 23 is almost all private land other than the northwest section that gets hit hard, especially now that it's a Type 1 and the Type 2 covers all private property in the unit. If you want to hunt later in the season you may be able to get on a private ranch for free to shoot does, but I would be looking to lock that up before you apply for the tags and you have plenty of time since the application period doesn't end until 5/31.

16 is a fine unit for does. Look into the walk in area, there are plenty of does there but get there opening day for your best chance on public land.

The issue with these units is they get hammered due to the short season and after the first few days, a lot of the game is shot or leaves. I think you could get a couple does on a walk in area in 16 for sure.

Last edited:
16 is a fine unit for does. Look into the walk in areas, there are plenty of does there but get there opening day for your best chance on public land.

The issue with these units is they get hammered due to the short season and after the first few days, a lot of the game is shot or leaves. I think you could get a couple does on a walk in area in 16 for sure.

Be careful funneling people to those WIHAs in 16 because some don't allow antelope hunting and a couple are "archery only" if you look at the restrictions they have.

Johnson county walk in hunt area 3 is the only one I know of in unit 16 and allows rifle antelope and deer. Am I missing something ? That's all I've seem driving around while hunting.

Be careful funneling people to those WIHAs in 16 because some don't allow antelope hunting and a couple are "archery only" if you look at the restrictions they have.

I think you must be mistaken. I am not aware of any restrictions that you mention in unit 16 for walk in areas.

And I didn't want to tell him exactly where to go...some homework needs to be done. If I tell people exactly where to go then I may as well sell coordinates at that point.

Johnson county walk in hunt area 3 is the only one I know of in unit 16 and allows rifle antelope and deer. Am I missing something ? That's all I've seem driving around while hunting.

No you're not missing anything, top gun is confused with the WIA's in unit 15. No biggie, it happens.

Do you hunt WIA 3 in Johnson county? I shot a nice Muley in there a few years back.

That is the only WIHA in Johnson County that is in unit 16 for antelope, so when 375H&H mentioned "areas" I automatically understood him to mean more than one. The others in Johnson County are in other units as he mentioned and what I was thinking of.

Last edited:
Understand topgun, 375 Yea I've hunted it a few times but did not turn much up. I saw a few antelope and deer on the north side of it. I spend most of my time 3+ miles in on state/blm to avoid the crowds. To the OP you should be able to kill antelope in 16 but you will work for them. If your only looking for doe tags I would not go there.

Last edited:
Back