PEAX Equipment

Any North Carolina Swan Hunters on Here???

redwoood

If so, I have a few questions about what the weather in Eastern NC will do the swan movement. My hunt is scheduled(or should I say rescheduled) for this Monday and Tuesday near Swan Quarter.
Thanks.

I would think that with so many frozen lakes around here that it would affect them. I can post the question on a local forum, which some of those guys will know for a fact. I'll let you know what they say. I'm too far west of there to know for certain.

The general consensus with the guys who live on the east coast of NC and hunt swans is:
The swans are still there. If you have a two day hunt, you shouldn't have any issues with killing a swan if you're hunting fields. One reply was:
"Swans dry feed typically so the ice isn’t as much of an issue. They are still here. Shouldn’t have a problem filling the tag, they are dumb birds."

I hope this helps, and good luck on your hunt.

Ha...I hope they are right. I didnt know if they would hit the fields with snow on the ground or not. I've been told they are fair weather flyers.

I really appreciate the help genesis!

Good luck! Swan hunting is one thing I look forward to each fall. I have missed out on a couple years and didn't fill my tag due to college at the time and the weather turning bad quickly. Think I have harvested 7 swans in total, cant wait to see pictures!!!

Ha...I hope they are right. I didnt know if they would hit the fields with snow on the ground or not. I've been told they are fair weather flyers.

I really appreciate the help genesis!

They said that the swans are there now, and in the fields feeding. I've hunted them in the past, and it's a fun, quick hunt. You should kill one on your first morning.

Have you contacted the land owner or guide, if you're going that route? They should be able to let you know.
Saying that knowing that most folks use guides or private land oners to hunt agriculture fields for swans.

Never hunted them but I saw a picture on instagram this morning where a buddy of mine got his...good luck, fill us in with the results!

It is a blast to hunt, just know they are flying faster than they look, so plan accordingly! I have a tag this year and am hoping to take the recurve and give it a go. Let us know how it shakes out!

My wife and I got a permit in '92. My swan was dead within the first 5 minutes in the ditch blind. Hers took twice that long. Their extremely easy and I have never had a hankering to kill another one. However, I do think using a recurve would be fun and a little more challenging.

Yes I have been speaking to the outfitter. He says they killed some swans yesterday and they are hitting the fields still even with the ice they received. I had a tag for swan in South Dakota for the fall of 2015 and had to cancel the hunt due to the migration being so off with the warm weather. Didn't draw a tag in NC last year so I am hoping my fortune change this year. I appreciate all of the feedback and I will HOPEFULLY post some pics up afterwards. Flying out early Sunday morning and it looks like highs in the 50s for Monday and Tuesday. Will be a nice break from the frigid temps we have been having here in MO for sure!

I think hes probably the most well known down there, and should get you on birds. Be sure to ride through the refuge if you can and check out some ducks. If they haven't all left... Been a long time since there has been this much froze water. We passed the record in Raleigh for most consecutive below freezing hours a couple days ago and just have hit it today.

Got it done today at 2:15 in the afternoon. They said I have the record for the longest swan hunt. They are so big and come in so fast it's almost scary. Wish I had 10 more tags

The refuge is just ridiculous. Almost deafening.

20180108_142827(0).jpg

I was wondering how your hunt went. That is a nice looking swan for sure. I've been down there while deer or bear hunting and the constant small bands of swans flying over and the deafening noise they make will wear on you after a while.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back