Caribou Gear

Cameron Hanes to be on Zinke created Conservation Council

We need all the help we can get, and someone who is supportive of public land hunting being invited to be on a council that may influence our public lands isn't a bad thing. I don't know anything about special councils, but I wonder if they are as inert as public opinion, and are just for looks.

Either way, I have been grateful to hear someone with a platform as large as Cam support public lands and attack politicians who don't.

When I read through the goals of the council, it doesn't seem to me like there is much in if for the average hunter. I mean its all great to promote conservation in other countries and all, work on behalf of the Hollywood type hunters so they can import ivory, etc...but how is that good for the average US hunter?

Looks like this is all about international hunting anyway. Probably to find a way import tusks and polar bears.

What they said.

A lot about nothing. Doesn't impact me or my public lands.

What they said.

A lot about nothing. Doesn't impact me or my public lands.

Respectfully disagree.

This is the scenario I'm worried about:

Cam participates in the council, and basically they don't do anything substantive... but they have lots of photo ops various politicians say nice things to Cam praise him for being on the council. "Cam you really do speak for the average hunter, thanks for lending your wisdom to this group" etc etc.... six months or so after the meeting someone from the Utah delegation unveils a new public land transfer bill guised in the the next iteration of pro-american, states rights, spirit of the individualism that the country was built on, those dudes in DC don't know anything about your lands rhetoric. The various politicians Cam as rubbed shoulders with fly him out to Utah, wine and dine him and let him shoot a big elk on their ranch, then they talk about how this is all about conservation; "Really Cam we are just like you, local salt of the earth guys, shouldn't it be us who manage these lands, we live here and know what's best. Cam, all that stuff you read has been put out by 'green decoys', we have no intention of selling lands once the state owns them." Cam flattered by they way they treat him posts a bunch of stuff on his platforms and brings a whole crowd of people onto the transfer side, then the Utah delegation points to him and says see hunters support us and this pushes another load of people who are on the fence into the transfer camp.

Like I said I think Cam is a good guy, but I don't think he is 1/2 as savvy as Bin Fin, Land Tawney, etc. and I don't trust him to tell slime balls in Washington not to piss down his back and tell him it's raining.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree.

This is the scenario I'm worried about:

Cam participates in the council, and basically they don't do anything substantive... but they have lots of photo ops various politicians say nice things to Cam praise him for being on the council. "Cam you really do speak for the average hunter, thanks for lending your wisdom to this group" etc etc.... six months or so after the meeting someone from the Utah delegation unveils a new public land transfer bill guised in the the next iteration of pro-american, states rights, spirit of the individualism that the country was built on, those dudes in DC don't know anything about your lands rhetoric. The various politicians Cam as rubbed shoulders with fly him out to Utah, wine and dine him and let him shoot a big elk on their ranch, then they talk about how this is all about conservation and that "Really Cam we are just like you, local salt of the earth guys, and shouldn't it be us who manage these lands we live here and know what's best. All that stuff you have read has been put out by 'green decoys' we have no intention of selling lands once the state owns them." Cam flattered by they way they treat him posts a bunch of stuff on his platforms and brings a whole crowd of people onto the transfer side, then the Utah delegation points to him and says see hunters support us and this pushes another load of people who are on the fence into the transfer camp.

Like I said I think Cam is a good guy, but I don't think he is 1/2 as savvy as Bin Fin, Land Tawney, etc. and I don't trust him to tell slim balls in Washington not to piss down his back and tell him it's raining.

I sure hope folks like Randy and Land will be advising Cam.

Sure a lot of negative stuff when we don't even know what will happen with that Council, so let's see what happens. Would you guys rather have had Zinke appoint Busbice to it?

He's at the table. Don't be a hater, wish the man well and kudos to Zinke for extending the invite.

Would you prefer he follow example of Yoyo from Patagonia and refuse to join the adult table?

I'm not a hater of Hanes, I'm a hater of Zinke. I will give no kudos to him when we all know this will be nothing but lip service. He is hellbent on the destruction of our public lands with no regards to the lasting consequences.

I'm not a hater of Hanes, I'm a hater of Zinke. I will give no kudos to him when we all know this will be nothing but lip service. He is hellbent on the destruction of our public lands with no regards to the lasting consequences.

Then think of it this way: With Cam on this council, we have a better opportunity to deliver our message in a voice that Zinke will hear. While this council will be focused on international hunting, I think it's a good bet that the sidebar and lunch conversations won't simply be about the big five or polar bear hunting.

Again, work with Cam. He's shown himself to be willing to listen to groups like TRCP & others. That's a step in the right direction for those of us who are working to stop the theft of our greatest birthright.

You know, gift horses & mouths and all that. :D

I thought that once Obama was out of office I wouldn't have to hear about a conspiracy involved in every political move that was made. SSDD, just from a different side of the aisle.

I say give Cam a chance and lobby him to represent us to the extent he can.

This is about influence, and I can guarantee the best way to negate the public hunter's ability to influence the administration via Cam's influence is to trash him without giving him a chance.

Realistically, this is a VERY small opportunity for influence. Are we going to leverage that influence or throw it away? A dime doesn't buy much, but it's better to pick it up and save it than throw it in the trash can.

Then think of it this way: With Cam on this council, we have a better opportunity to deliver our message in a voice that Zinke will hear. While this council will be focused on international hunting, I think it's a good bet that the sidebar and lunch conversations won't simply be about the big five or polar bear hunting.

Again, work with Cam. He's shown himself to be willing to listen to groups like TRCP & others. That's a step in the right direction for those of us who are working to stop the theft of our greatest birthright.

You know, gift horses & mouths and all that. :D

Ben, We just hit 66% agreement. Please PM your birthday with favorite colors, sizes and address. See 2018 is gonna be an amazing year. :eek:

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but frankly after his softball interview with that slimball Chaffetz last year and the man crushes he seems to have on Trump and Trump jr., and celebrity in general, im not exactly enthusiastic. The fact of the matter is a guy of his age, who's been hunting as long as he has, but speaks superficially and relatively poorly about conservation knowledge doesn't exactly Inspire much faith in me. Clearly he has had the time and experience to build a depth of knowledge about conservation and hunting, but doesn't seem to have done it . Cam has never claimed to be a deep thinker so I can't fault him for it but if he's representing Hunters beyond his Instagram account, then he needs to put down his selfie camera and tank top and hit the books. Because this s*** is serious business

Last edited:
My assumption is Cam, like most intelligent individuals, understands that he does not hold all the answers and will reach out for advice/wisdom from trusted advisers. I think he is at least due a chance, before the lynch mobs are assembled...

"Even in the golden age of time, inevitability, someone complained that everything looked too yellow."

Dang, pretty tough crowd here. Bordering on some sort of litmus test that folks volunteering/asked to serve/represent must reflect our personal views and positions 100% of the time. If that is the case, I doubt any of us will be qualified to serve/represent. It runs the risk of building walls to form such a small tent that it is a tent of one. Not good for the future of hunting.

Maybe it is the nature of forums and the internet, but I worry that the hunting community is too quick to "eat their young." I would hope that folks could hold judgement until there is action to judge. Until such time, I am here to support Cam in any effort he, or others, pursue on behalf of hunting.

Back