Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Cameron Hanes to be on Zinke created Conservation Council

I've seen a few of our own HT'ers working with Cam on issues. I hope he continues to keep their counsel as he embarks on this service.

"Nobody cares, work harder." ...Ok, I'm done...Seriously I hope he can make a difference. He did stand up to Chaffetz last year.

Last edited:
Not to dog Cam as he is one hell of an elk hunter... but I feel like they chose him because he has limited knowledge of the issue, politics, well anything other than working out and kill animals and figured they could use him as a figure head to placate hunters.

Cam isn't knowledgeable enough about anything to know if something the administration is doing/proposing is good or bad for the hunting community, I can guarantee he is floored to be on the council and will post on all his social media accounts exactly what Zinke wants him to post.

Cam is unfortunately a well intentioned pawn, and definitely not someone who is going to stand up if the administration makes moves that will hurt the hunting community.

I agree, he's never impressed me as a guy that's too politically savvy.

When I read through the goals of the council, it doesn't seem to me like there is much in if for the average hunter. I mean its all great to promote conservation in other countries and all, work on behalf of the Hollywood type hunters so they can import ivory, etc...but how is that good for the average US hunter?

I'll give him a chance, but I'm not overly optimistic about him or this council.

Cameron Hanes is probably not the first person that comes to mind in a context like this, but he is an avid wilderness hunter and has been for a long time. As such, he might be just what this committee needs. I'm kind of glad to hear about this, myself.

Cam is the real deal hunter! But far from a conservationist statesman. We need an Aldo Leopold in that type of position. Cam is no doubt we intentioned but will get steamrolled in politics. Case in point, listen to his interview with Chaffetz. He will speak on behalf of the hunting public and most wont know any better. He will represent all hunters but is no better informed than the average joe redneck. We need the 99.9% percentile conservation-minded intellect.

Want fitness advice? Cam is the man.

Want wildlife conservation advice? Look towards Rinella or Newberg. Of course they aren’t, shall we say, cooperative team players.

Will the placard at the table where Hanes sits simply be "Token?"

He's at the table. Don't be a hater, wish the man well and kudos to Zinke for extending the invite.

Would you prefer he follow example of Yoyo from Patagonia and refuse to join the adult table?

Last edited by a moderator:
We're up to 33% agreement Troy. ;)

Give Cam a chance and help the dude excel at this instead hammering him.

All of his hunts are either guided or pricey private land ranches, hopefully he surprises me but I would no expect much.

I'm not a big fan but geez, give the guy a chance. Looks like this is all about international hunting anyway. Probably to find a way import tusks and polar bears.

My hope is that after the Chaffetz interview last year, Cam hunkered down on the issues more. I was pretty harsh toward him after that, but I think this could be a good spot for him, especially if it's aimed more toward the aesthetics of hunting. Cam does a pretty good job of showing hunting in a positive light.

Back