Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Neck Sizing Die?

OhHeyThereBen

Hey all. Looking at ordering some reloading stuff. I think I have everything that I'll be ordering ironed out, but I was wanting some opinions on neck sizing vs. full length resizing. I'll be starting off reloading for my Model 70 30-06 and am wondering if I'm ever going to even see the difference in accuracy between the two in order to justify spending the extra money on an extra die? Yes, I'll be hunting with the ammunition so accuracy doesn't need to be amazing, but I'd just like to know regardless. Any opinions are appreciated!

There are piles of posts on the internet for the neck vs full length sizing. In the end, it is recommended that you full length size hunting rounds so the ammo chambers/feeds reliably. Full length sizing brass does move the brass around a bit which does affect case life however that isn't a major issue if you only resize as minimally. Accuracy with full length sizing can be great if you pay attention to how much you are sizing the brass and make sure you follow the process consistently. If you choose to neck size you will still need the full length sizing die to get brass into spec every few firings. The accuracy between the two will likely be negligible in a hunting rifle. I say buy a full length sizing die set (pick your brand because most will work fine)

There are a few youtube videos...look up Neck Vs Bump Vs Full Length. There is some good info out there and videos often demonstrate the differences.

Last edited:
I have neck dies for 243 and 30-06. Everything else I partial size. I haven't reached the point yet with my neck sizer's that it's time to FL size again just to get the case to chamber again. Before trying neck size dies, I neck sized case's a bit short and two or three more rounds and the case's needed FL sizing or the wouldn't chamber. Actually what partial sizing is FL sizing no more than necessary to get the case to fit the chamber. My FL 243 and 30-06 dies are set that way right now so that when the time come's it's a really simple deal. Simply get out the right die set and FL them. My die set's are for use in one rifle only. Only time I've ever had two rifle's in the same cartridge is right now. Two 243's and both have their own set of dies.
My neck size die's are the Lee collet dies. Tried them just to see if they were worth it. Took a bit of getting used to but now, definitely worth it. The collet die does not have an expander nipple it it. As a result, case trimming happen's a lot less. The expanding nipple in dies actually stretch's the case more than firing it does, a lot more. The good part of the way I do it is I never have to reset dies! I shoot pretty much one bullet only in my rifle's. That also let's me set the bullet seating die one time and forget it, lock it in. Your end up with die's you never have to re=adjust again.

Get yourself a set of Redding FL dies. If you want to control neck tension you can get the FL bushing die. The competition seater die is what I'd recommend also.
When setting up a FL die the directions that come with the die are very general and usually are designed to size the brass way to much. The die should be setup to only push the shoulder .001-002.

Agree with Don here. I neck size for the majority of my rifle cartridges (Semi-auto, lever action and rimmed cartridges all get FL sized). I've noticed better accuracy in my bolts by neck sizing and paying close attention to the necks and OAL of the case. Neck sizing has helped prolong case life in belted mags as well as my 30-06. I have some cases going on their 8-10 loading before I start to lose the primer pocket tension or get incipient case head separation with my standard cartridges and I can get 5-7 loadings in my 338 before retiring the case.

I've been suing the Hornady neck sizers, but also have an RCBS & C4HD neck sizers. Never tried the collet ones.

I would suggest giving the lee collet neck-sizing die a look; I’ve found the Lee dies to produce accurate ammo without the cost; I subscribe to the buy once cry once philosophy in some instances but I don’t believe that I can justify the extra cost of a FL bushing die from Redding when reloading for my moderately priced production rifle (this is coming from the guy who has a Near base on this rifle too Ha!). I believe I have enough empirical evidence to say the the neck sizing die has shown to produce more accurate ammo than FL sizing but note that ammunition produced with a neck sizing die should only be used in the rifle that the fire-formed brass is coming from. One other nice thing about neck sizing dies (at least from Lee) is that they don’t require that messy case lube. I haven’t had the need to bump my shoulder back either with a FL die but the ultimate 4 die kit from Lee comes with both so you can do a few thousandths bump if needed after a few firings.

Neck sizing will usually tighten groups up some. It will extend brass life dramatically.
A full length sizing die can be adjusted to slightly push the shoulder back and size the neck only. In most medium size rifle cartridges a complete full length sizing isn't needed. Belted magnums will need full length sized every so often to alleviate case swelling near the base. Small cartridges sometimes need fully sized to square up the base with the sides, and function in autos causes swelling also.
All cartridges used in autos ,pumps ,and lever guns will need full length resized to function properly.
I only buy a full length die, and then adjust to size as much as needed. Then if it needs trueing up with full sizing it can be done with the same die.
I have collet dies for neck only sizing for a few calibers and don't see it as any better than neck/shoulder bumping with the standard die.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back