MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming with 0 pp

RafterR

Looking into units 1,103, and 113 for the draw with 0 pp. will be 2 of us for rifle season. From what I’ve been able to determine from goHUNT, all 3 should be 100% for either type 1 or 2 depending on the Unit. I know all 3 units have smaller areas of public but looking at onX there should still be enough access to allow for a good trip. Do these areas make sense for a 0 point draw or should I be looking elsewhere?

I looked at the WY info and I don't show any of them 100% with zero PP, but maybe I'm blind. :)

I used https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2017-Drawing-Odds to look at the odds. Look through these and look for 100% with a zero and that would show you where to start. You can then use maps to see the amount of public land and if it's land locked or not.

Go here and use the interactive map:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting

You can also use OnX as well, but it's nice to have multiple sources.

I looked at the WY info and I don't show any of them 100% with zero PP, but maybe I'm blind. :)

I used https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2017-Drawing-Odds to look at the odds. Look through these and look for 100% with a zero and that would show you where to start. You can then use maps to see the amount of public land and if it's land locked or not.

Go here and use the interactive map:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting

You can also use OnX as well, but it's nice to have multiple sources.

They are actually looking at the odds a little better than you did. The odds aren't 100% with 0 PPs in the Regular Draw, but if you then go to the Random Draw stats where they would then be placed the stats show that unit 1 had 63 tags and only 33 first choice applicants. Unit 103 had 46 tags and 36 first choice applicants. 113-1 had only 20 tags and 134 first choice applicants, so that would be a long shot, but 113-2 had 35 tags and no first choice applicants. The only difference between the two types is that 1 is good for the entire month of October, while 2 is from 10/11 to 10/31, so all but one of those choices in those units should be a lock if the tags and stats stay the same for the 2018 season.

Last edited:
Topgun is correct. But, don't be surprised if one or all of those units is not 100% for 2018. Your odds will be decent, but may not be a lock. I've seen more "I have 0 points and want to hunt" posts than usual for this time of year. In addition, people who got burned in the leftover draw this year who typically hunted leftovers will be applying in the main draw.

Topgun is correct. But, don't be surprised if one or all of those units is not 100% for 2018. Your odds will be decent, but may not be a lock. I've seen more "I have 0 points and want to hunt" posts than usual for this time of year. In addition, people who got burned in the leftover draw this year who typically hunted leftovers will be applying in the main draw.

And that is exactly why I finished my comment the way I did saying "if the tags and stats stay the same for 2018" and I would say that it's doubtful that they will.

They are actually looking at the odds a little better than you did. The odds aren't 100% with 0 PPs in the Regular Draw, but if you then go to the Random Draw stats where they would then be placed the stats show that unit 1 had 63 tags and only 33 first choice applicants. Unit 103 had 46 tags and 36 first choice applicants. 113-1 had only 20 tags and 134 first choice applicants, so that would be a long shot, but 113-2 had 35 tags and no first choice applicants. The only difference between the two types is that 1 is good for the entire month of October, while 2 is from 10/11 to 10/31, so all but one of those choices in those units should be a lock if the tags and stats stay the same for the 2018 season.

Good info, thanks for the 2nd look...As NW and TG stated, the issue is how will 2018 look since the cost of everything went up. I personally look for a lot of people to dump points in 2018/2019 which will make it very hard to get a zero PP tag unless it's in a totally useless unit with hardly any access or public.

Good info, thanks for the 2nd look...As NW and TG stated, the issue is how will 2018 look since the cost of everything went up. I personally look for a lot of people to dump points in 2018/2019 which will make it very hard to get a zero PP tag unless it's in a totally useless unit with hardly any access or public.

I guess I would have to disagree on your reasoning for units like he's looking at since if someone has built up PPs they aren't going to be dumping them in units that only take a couple PPs or less, so you can also look at it that it will probably worsen the odds in some of the higher PP units and maybe not ones he's looking at. However, it's all a guessing game and the only way to know will to be to put in an application and see if you get drawn this summer and what the odds were that you got drawn or didn't after it's all over.

I guess I would have to disagree on your reasoning for units like he's looking at since if someone has built up PPs they aren't going to be dumping them in units that only take a couple PPs or less, so you can also look at it that it will probably worsen the odds in some of the higher PP units and maybe not ones he's looking at. However, it's all a guessing game and the only way to know will to be to put in an application and see if you get drawn this summer and what the odds were that you got drawn or didn't after it's all over.

yep...it's all going to be a crap shoot due to the price increases. It could very well increase the odd in a person favor as well, we all will have to wait and see.

Thanks guys. The numbers that Topgun posted are the numbers I used for my research determining the units I came up with. I’ve been studying both the WY website and goHUNT. With this being my first hunt I wasn’t sure how the rate hike would affect our chances. I understand that none of these may be a for sure draw, but with listing all 3 as my choices I would think it increases my oddds since none of these units seem like very prime choices for anyone looking to dump their points.

Just remember those are first choice units so unless supply increases greatly and/or demand decreases you won’t get any of them as a second or third choice.

The way you’re suggesting you structure your ap is fine if you want to get points, but if you want to hunt i’d Look at areas Where people had a good chance to draw as second choice and others as third. That way if things go similarly you have three fair chances at consideration.

First choice is where points are taken into consideration the second and third are random.

Efw thank you for that pointer. That makes total sense. I’m not sure why I didn’t see that while looking at draw odds. Time to go back and do some more research as I’d rather hunt than just draw a point.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back