Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First Trip West

WesternAmbition

Hello all and Happy New Year. I am looking to make my first trip out west for Pronghorn in Wyoming. Have 0 Points and was doing some research on go hunt for draw odds. According to them the best odds for me would be Unit 63. Anyone have any experience with this unit or should I consider another unit and if so which one? Thanks for the assistance.

I have no idea how you came up with unit 63 that does take a lot of PPs for a chance to draw it. Go onto the G&F website at the link shown in the previous post and look on it to see what your best chance to draw with no PPs is. The easiest way to cut the time it will take is to go right to the Random Draw at the top and see how many tags are in each unit and if there are more tags than first choice applicants. Those are the units you will want to concentrate on, so make a list of them. Then go into the hunt planner and select each of those units to see the map and how much accessible public land there is. After you've done that and found a few units then come back and ask specific questions about that unit to get the help you want.

Welcome aboard.

You won't draw 63 unless you get very, very lucky. Skip Gohunt for Wyoming and look at the Game and Fish website. Look east in areas with little to no yellow if you want to hunt this year.

Let us know how it goes! You should be able to have a fun hunt!

Welcome aboard.

You won't draw 63 unless you get very, very lucky. Skip Gohunt for Wyoming and look at the Game and Fish website. Look east in areas with little to no yellow if you want to hunt this year.

Let us know how it goes! You should be able to have a fun hunt!

He needs to look for lots of yellow that is the BLM land on maps, not a little! White is private land on the maps that he doesn't want to see and have to deal with.

Topgun, I understand that. My point was that in order for him to find the units on the map that he can draw with 0 points, he’ll have to look for units with less yellow. When he narrows down the units he can draw, he’ll have to take a closer look at access. More yellow is definitely better, but not if you can’t draw the tag.

I looked at the numbers from WGF for NR RD odds and First Choice PP. As near as i can tell, I could be wrong, Units 20,21,102,113 hold my best odds for draw this year. I was looking at the interactive maps and onX maps and they all seem to have a fair amount of Public Land. I am leaning more towards Unit 20 as a 97.5% draw odds and a success rate of 88% with what looks to be good access to The V from Hazelton Road. Also the Nat Forest in the upper west corner of the unit. Has anyone any knowledge of this unit and does anyone know if Between the Creeks Road will give you access to the middle of the unit. Thanks

Looks like you could be guaranteed the tag if you are willing to pay for a special.

I looked at the numbers from WGF for NR RD odds and First Choice PP. As near as i can tell, I could be wrong, Units 20,21,102,113 hold my best odds for draw this year. I was looking at the interactive maps and onX maps and they all seem to have a fair amount of Public Land. I am leaning more towards Unit 20 as a 97.5% draw odds and a success rate of 88% with what looks to be good access to The V from Hazelton Road. Also the Nat Forest in the upper west corner of the unit. Has anyone any knowledge of this unit and does anyone know if Between the Creeks Road will give you access to the middle of the unit. Thanks

Trust me on this one, as I have hunted west of the Hazelton Road every year since 1999 and also know that part of the state that is unit 20. There are no antelope in the NF up north in 20 and the only legal road going east off the Hazelton Road into 20 is the Barnum Road and that is the southern boundary of 20. The middle of the unit is mountainous areas that hold deer and lots of elk (unit 34) and very few, if any, antelope. Almost all the antelope in unit 20 are in the eastern 1/3 of the unit on private land and that's why the success rate is so high and why tags are easy to draw. I would never waste NR money for a unit 20 buck tag unless I had a ranch locked up ahead of time.

Trust me on this one, as I have hunted west of the Hazelton Road every year since 1999 and also know that part of the state that is unit 20. There are no antelope in the NF up north in 20 and the only legal road going east off the Hazelton Road into 20 is the Barnum Road and that is the southern boundary of 20. The middle of the unit is mountainous areas that hold deer and lots of elk (unit 34) and very few, if any, antelope. Almost all the antelope in unit 20 are in the eastern 1/3 of the unit on private land and that's why the success rate is so high and why tags are easy to draw. I would never waste NR money for a unit 20 buck tag unless I had a ranch locked up

There appears to be reasonable amounts of state land near 196 in the north eastern portion of Area 20.

Back