Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Crazy Mountains

Brian in Montana

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Crazy Mountains. I've never done anything besides drive bay and look at them from the interstate. But I notice the draw odds for mountain goat are a little better there than most other HDs, so in order to hopefully draw a tag sometime before my 90th birthday, I thought I'd start putting in there.

I recently read an about access issues in the Crazies, landowners choking off traditionally public trails, and that gives me a bit of pause. It occurred to me that may be the reason for the higher odds. Anybody have much experience in the Crazies, be it goat, elk, deer, grouse or whatever?

Definitely difficult access, but there is an abundance of game there. For goats, the access doesn't seem to be a huge issue because of the limited number of tags and the fact that you are hunting at a greater elevation than most guys. I haven't drawn the tag, but my old man did a few years back. He spent over a month in there trying to take a nice billy with his longbow but shot a giant with his rifle the last day of the season. Bottom line is that there are some very nice goats in there. As for elk, the access is a little bit more difficult because of the hunting pressure, but I know a lot of people who have been very successful in there each year.

I recently read an about access issues in the Crazies, landowners choking off traditionally public trails, and that gives me a bit of pause. It occurred to me that may be the reason for the higher odds. Anybody have much experience in the Crazies, be it goat, elk, deer, grouse or whatever?

Yeah, I heard about that access problem too ;). There are several uncontested trails into the interior "goat habitat" if you are willing to walk. It is a much bigger issue for the trails into elk habitat.

I also heard that they were proposing cutting goat tag numbers.

313-20 30-->15
313-30 25-->5

Wasn't it 82 a couple years ago?
I don't know what it was, but I remember when you and I helped with the goats counts two years ago they were worried about exceeding the carrying capacity so they were issuing nanny tags. Maybe they had a die off.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back