Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The Opportunity and Bounty of Public Lands 2017

onpoint

My brown girl and I completed the 2017 Montana hunting season today, the same way we started it on 9/1/17 - hunting public lands.
My, wife, my dogs, and I were lucky enough to hunt 4 continuous months for Blue and Ruff Grouse in Sept. and Oct. across vast tracts of United States Forest Service ground. In October, we chased antelope on Bureau of Land Management and turkeys on USFS. We also hunted roosters, Hungarian partridge, and sharptails on various pieces of Montana State, BLM, and Bureau of Reclamation parcels. Elk were chased on USFS and Montana State land - an unlucky bull that wandered onto a small piece of state land filled our freezer.
We looked over a lot of mule deer on BLM and Whitetails on state property. And for the last month, my dogs and I logged a lotta' miles on all types of public land all around this big state.
Today, my older girl made one of her trademark photo op retrieves on a small piece of MT FWP ground. The rooster and one sharptail in the bag.
Tonight, with the dogs at our feet, my wife and I had a nice dinner of Public Land batter fried huns, steamed lemon pepper carrots, and asiago garlic pasta.
Of course I hunted some private ground - but without Public Lands, 90% of the aforementioned activities would be non existent - for this hunter.
Public Lands and how fortunate we are to have them in our lives as the average Joe outdoorsmen/women - nothing more needs to be said.
jan1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a great year and nice write up. Glad to see there are still a few deer and elk in the "wasteland" of public lands in Montana :)

Congratulations on a good year Tim. I'm not sad to see this hunting season go, and am very much looking forward to a myriad of public land adventures in 2018. Like you, other than taking my daughter deer hunting on my best friend's ranch, probably 95% of what I did on public land of some sort.

Here's to bumbled points and missed shots in 2018!

Here's to bumbled points and missed shots

I left those parts out purposely. ...........To bumbled points in your future, looking forward to pup stories.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back