Pack for "big boned" hunter?

VikingsGuy

Looking to upgrade to top-notch day hunting back. I am 6'1" tall 265lbs. 42" waist. Seems like much of the higher end hunter gear favors the trim hunter so fit can be an issue for us "big boned" hunters. Of the major backs - EXO 3500, Mystery Ranch Metcalf, Kifaru Duplex+woodsman or Stone Glacier R3300 any experience on fit/comfort for big guys?

The Exo will do just fine. Im very close to those measurements and I ran a large belt. The pack felt like an extension of me.

I'm a big guy as well (~50" chest) and the biggest issue I have with any pack is generally the sternum strap. On my Exo 3500 I still have a little bit of adjustment left, but not much. The pads on the shoulder straps feel a little short as well, but it's not a big issue.

Plus sized gentleman as well. 44 waist, 52 chest. I've got a MR Bighorn which has the same basic frame as the Metcalf and I love my pack. I think any of them will work but if you can try them on, do that first.

Stay away from kuiu! At that size waist belt will not fit espically with winter clothes on

I just picked up one of the mystery ranch Metcalf multicam packs that are on sale right now and so far it seems to fit without any problems on me. I’m not a small guy either.

+ on MR. I've got a Crew Cab with a large belt. I have no problems with the waist belt.

The Shoulder straps can be a bit snug at first, but as the day moves along I keep tightening the straps. Just have to remember to loosen them in the morning.

im a little smaller in the waist but otherwise almost identical and my MR marshall fits nice

I'm just a few miles north of you in Edina, and I have a large mystery ranch crew cab you are welcome to test fit

Thanks for the great offer. I ended up getting a really good year-end deal on a Metcalf in the new sub-apline. It fits really well, but not really much to spare on the belt - a few salads are in order before hunting season :)

FWIW - I have floated on a different string, would be cool to get the twin cities HTalkers together for a beer somewhere. Keep your eyes open, after the super bowl craziness I will post an open invite.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back