Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

4Runner for hunting

N2TRKYS

I've recently bought a 2018 4Runner Offroad 4Runner(it'll be here around the 10th of this month).

For those that hunt out of a 4Runner, what are some can't do without accessories that you put on your rig?

Thanks

I own a 1996, 1998, and, as of last week, a 2018. They're great rigs for off pavement adventures. Congrats on your purchase.

Must have items:
4 sets of chains.
A Shovel
Jumper cables
Road flares
A tarp to put down in the back cargo area for meat quarters/antlers.
A knowledge of how to quarter your animals.
Heavy duty zip ties to secure elk antlers to the roof rack.

That's all I can think of right now.

i'd recommend against a bolt together hauler, no way they stay tight in the long run.. get a welder/fabricator to build you an aluminum one that will tilt up and lock vertical. I bought one (cheap) from our high school trade school (Piedmont) that is made out of angle steel- It's strong but heavy. I think they have some of the steel ones left

I did my first mod yesterday. I replaced the factory fog lamps with Baja Design Squadron Pros in amber. I love them, so far.

4 Runners are awesome. I was with my friend when his 1985 4 Runner turned 200,000 miles. Be sure to post pics of your rig in action! Or just a picture of your rig in the driveway is cool too.
I recommend a winch, quality mud tires, and place to put an elk or deer. ARB airlocker is nice too, but kinda pricey.

Last edited:
I put over 200K on a 3rd gen 4runner, it was a great rig but the back seat didn't fit tall people or 3 car seats too well, so it had to go. Put good tires on it, and a good roof rack or basket won't hurt (i'd skip the hitch hauler, i think they just get in the way when you're off-road), tire chains, shovel, cargo liner. Mine didn't have locking differentials and I still got it up some pretty nasty roads without getting stuck, but I think yours comes with one.

Trying to decide if I want to get an aftermarket roof rack. I like the looks of the Gobi Stealth, but don't know if I want the weight.

I put some Husky Weatherbeater floor and cargo liners in a few weeks ago. I'm liking them, so far. Yesterday I installed Xenon Depot LED Pro low and high beam bulbs. They are a big improvement over stock.

Frontrunner racks look good.

Got a 2018 for my wife a few weeks back. Its our 3rd 4runner. 3rd gen sold at 176,000, 2003 4th gen still going at 200,000 miles and now this one. Our new one is an SR5, put the black trd pro wheels and new Cooper AT3 tires on it right after I bought it. Looks pretty nice to us.

I have a '06 v8 with 185k and I love it - I even sleep in it when possible and Im 6'1". I have a cargo box on top for all the large annoying stuff so space usually isn't an issue. I recently put BFG K02's on this fall after reading all the great reviews on them and Im really impressed with them so far - no noise on the highway with great off road performance. I haven't even come close to needing to hit the locker or drop in 4Low with them. I also upgraded the skid plates to RCI Metalworks - highly recommended and light if you go with the aluminum. Other than that everything else is stock. As for gear - in addition to what ishootdasmallones's suggested ARB makes a nice recovery kit and tire repair kit but you can build you own for cheaper. I also keep a set of traction tracks for just in case like the ones in the link below. Lastly if you havent found you way over to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ there are tons of sweet rigs to drool over and all the advice you could need. I think the only thing I want to get in the future to add is the Rino Rack foxwing awning that swings out 270 degrees to my roof rack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1SKI...olid=3618T5MCPIU2R&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:
A high lift jack is useless on a stock 4Runner. (I’m on my third) You will fold up the stock bumpers with it rather than jack it up. If you have an aftermarket bumper you may be able to use it as a jacking point, or you can jack with the receiver hitch if you are brave ennough.

I replaced my interior lights with leds bulbs and my door lights with green leds. I also changed my reverse lights with brighter led bulbs. Happy with it so far.

I may level it out with Bilstein 5100s, but probably gonna stick with stock size tires.

Haha!
The places that you find 4Runner fans. I have a 2017 and I love the thing!
Roof rack is always helpful, even if it’s just an add on basket type.

Hi-lift jack and a tow chain.

I bought my Hi-lift jack back in the early 80's after we spent the day high-centered and stuck in a mudhole. If I'd already had one we could have gotten ourselves out instead of having to wait all day till 2 trucks came by and got us unstuck.
To this day I have yet to need it to get unstuck but it has handy for other things. Don't do like I did, get one before you need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back