Dirty and shot "new" savage youth axis?

Falcon75

I took a buddy to Dick's sporting goods yesterday to get out house from kids and wife getting ready for New Years Party and it was last day of $100 rebate. No one else in area cabelas included has a axis left cause of Christmas and rebate. Dick's has the gun with cheap throwaway scope for $100 more than everyone else with no scope and no gun for $349.99. We look at .243 youth with our boys and it is really dusty cause we are not a necked rifle cartridge deer hunting state. (.45/70 and .40 cal pistol cartridge legal but my 30 06 is dangerous)

Axis bolt was smooth and from what I have read here and other sights a sub 1" gun at a bargain price. At $179.99 I can see why. Buddy purchases gun after make point that we have 8 kids between us that could shoot the gun. He walks through front door with gun and wife is fine with purchase cause it is for kids.

He cleans it and barrel is rusty outside and inside is dirty like the new gun is not new. The bolt head has powder ring after cleaning.

Does anyone know if Savage fires gun before shipping? Really disappointed cause I feel we didn't get new gun and don't know what to do.

Attachments

• 20171231_214945.jpg
    20171231_214945.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 406
I sent a gun back to have the scope base screws re-tapped and they test fired it before returning it so it's probable. Shoot them an email or give a call. Their CS seems pretty good.

Does it shoot accurately? You are going to burn some powder in it yourself. I wouldn't sweat it if it shoots well.

savages customer service is pretty good, I would give them a call about it before you start running rounds through it.

I am going to call today just don't want run around that it is stores fault and then vise versa. We were going to shoot it but ran out of daylight. Trying to help keep a local homeless tent camp alive in these negative degree conditions. I wanted to go play but my buddy thinks it is too cold. I said we can shoot out the house window it is warmer. Wife just looked over at me like a librarian. I guess we could shoot from cab of truck to better our hillbilly skills.

My guess is 2 things are going 1) the rifle was handled at the store and got surface rust because they didn't bother to wipe it down 2) it was probably fired at the factory and you're seeing a bit of residue and oil. The bolt head does look like it had several rounds shot so who knows what's going on.

I would wonder why the rifle wasn't inspected before it left the store

Most rifles from major manufacturers that I am aware of are test fired for function &safety and/or accuracy before leaving the factory. I'm not aware of any company that cleans the bore afterwards. So yes it is not at all uncommon to have some fouling in the bore of a new gun. As other's stated, the surface rust is most likely from being handled in the store and sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. I worked in a major firearms retailer for 5 years so I would say that neither of these things is uncommon, but the store should probably take better care to address the surface rust issue(we wiped our guns w/oil down several times per week)

Last edited:
Yes, Savage fires EVERY rifle that leaves the factory - multiple times. First it gets proof tested (1 round that's typically in the 70-75kpsi range) to make sure it's not going to go BOOM! due to any defects in the steel. Then once it's assembled they run a full magazine through it for function testing (feeding, extracting and ejection). And if you're ever lucky enough to get an invite to the factory to build your own rifle they'll even let you go up to the second floor and put a few more rounds through it in their 100 yard R&D range. Just be forewarned, their shooting bench isn't lefty friendly.

SavageIndoorRange2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back