Selling GPS coordinates

Steelhead

I’m not one to overly stir the pot but does anyone else find it just a tad ironic that eastmans and gohunt are sending out blast emails about how horrible it is to exploit wild game populations for money? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of selling big buck/bull coordinates but it seems a little ironic that’s all. Anyone else?

I don't use gohunt, but my lousy experience with Guy a couple years ago when I got banned from their website for sending the AG a complaint in behalf of a dozen members when they screwed us and dropped the digital MRS we were paying for and then had the balls to ask us for more money to get it back has soured me to no end with Eastmans. The "Eastman Way" IMHO sucks big time and what you just mentioned in your post is more than a little hypocritical from both companies!

GoHunt is selling you access to public information that the aggregate and package in a way that is easy to consume. You can, if so inclined, do the exact thing they are doing. So in that regard, it is completely unlike you scouting an animal and then selling the GPS coordinates that you have put shoe leather in to find. I believe the onus is on you to explain/prove how GoHunt is exploiting wild game populations for money. They are exploiting information that is already available. I see no irony there.

GoHunt, Eastmans, Epic and Hunting' Fool are like stock market analysts looking at stocks on Wall Street. They look at the various units and give some guidance on what units are relatively better using a measure whether that be size of animal, harvest rates, odds to draw the tag, etc. Opinions are given in some cases as to the best units based on their review of the public available information and some discussions with F&G biologists, outfitters and member hunters.

Selling the coordinates of a particular animal might be what is called insider trading on Wall Street. Confidential information, not known to the general public, is provided to a person to act on.

All the above parties are exchanging information for money. Only one party is pointing the hunter to a specific spot to find a specific animal. If that land is Federal then there are commercial permits needed as are on Federal land scouting as a commercial venture.

I know it's not exactly the same thing and I know that the info is available publicly. Isn't the reason that we are on this particular forum because these animals/populations are ours, available to the public? Therefore what is the difference between selling info on a public population and selling info on a public individual animal? I'm not a fan of the latter by any stretch. It ain't apples-to-apples but seriously you can't getcha just a little bit of pot/kettle there?
It's a new age of huntin that's for sure.

I know it's not exactly the same thing and I know that the info is available publicly. Isn't the reason that we are on this particular forum because these animals/populations are ours, available to the public? Therefore what is the difference between selling info on a public population and selling info on a public individual animal? I'm not a fan of the latter by any stretch. It ain't apples-to-apples but seriously you can't getcha just a little bit of pot/kettle there?
It's a new age of huntin that's for sure.

I agree totally. I think that Eastmans are pissed because some of their clients won't bother with their services and just buy coordinates.

Big difference between selling actual location of an animal and selling "Lower density elk unit can make this hunt tough to find big bulls. 300-330+ bulls with a potential for better. Good access. Some flat, thick terrain."

GoHunt, Eastmans, Epic and Hunting' Fool are like stock market analysts looking at stocks on Wall Street. They look at the various units and give some guidance on what units are relatively better using a measure whether that be size of animal, harvest rates, odds to draw the tag, etc. Opinions are given in some cases as to the best units based on their review of the public available information and some discussions with F&G biologists, outfitters and member hunters.

Selling the coordinates of a particular animal might be what is called insider trading on Wall Street. Confidential information, not known to the general public, is provided to a person to act on.

All the above parties are exchanging information for money. Only one party is pointing the hunter to a specific spot to find a specific animal. If that land is Federal then there are commercial permits needed as are on Federal land scouting as a commercial venture.

Really need a like button!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back