Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Last Day Rooster

Brittany Chukarman

I was out doing chores when I heard this guy crow. Grabbed the gun and a few shells and Ranger and I went after him. The quail were still in the blackberries where they roost and we must have busted out 100 birds on the way. We'll get to them in a few days. Anyways, when we got near to where I thought the rooster was crowing, Ranger started tracking, nose to the ground. The bird jumped but was screened by willows
until he got out pretty far. Followed him up the draw and he jumped way out of range that time. Circled around through the sage bush above him towards the top of the draw and jumped him long again but was able to drop him. Beautiful big, fully feathered bird. Nice end to the season. I was able to get 3 roosters this year. Have yet to see a chukar in spots where I've always had them.

Attachments

• 1-DSCF4228.JPG
    1-DSCF4228.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 190
Last day (for all upland birds) here is tomorrow - I will got to my dark place for a while beginning Tuesday morning. Nothing better than the combo of birds, a good dog(s), a nice shotgun, and bird country - maybe some things equal - but nothing better. Enjoy the quail - and not being done yet - little jealous....
Nice and cold, fresh snow and really educated birds here - but they still can end up in the bag - hopefully tomorrow will be a good last day here, too.
Yesterday....
DSCN0075.jpg

Those bushy flats are for sure tough hunting, especially late in the season. They'll run like jackrabbits. Lots of fun after a fresh snow following a track with a drag mark between the feet! Good luck tomorrow. Is the dog holding up well after the surgery?

My other, older girl is the recipient of double ACL surgeries. And thanks for asking - she's doing great, hunting hard at 10 years old and 3 years post surgeries.. She's up tomorrow.
IMGP0199.jpg
She has seniority so she got the first hunt Sept. 1'st and will get the Jan. 1'st finale. I hunt them together when I want to work on my patience.....
Pheasants breasts on your dinner plate tonight????

After I get a few quail to go with it. It's my 91 yr old dad's favorite meal and right up near the top of my favorite game birds. It's a real treat for us, just don't get that many.

Last winter must have been as hard on your pheasant as it was on our chukar.

The drought this summer was record breaking. Poor forb production, poor insect crop = no protein to grow chicks. The dog caught one emaciated hatch year rooster Labor day weekend, and that was the last hatch year bird I’ve seen. Top that off with more CRP getting plowed under this fall, and I think it might be quite a while before numbers improve in this neck of the woods.

Hope your chukars see some favorable conditions coming their way!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back