HT Bob Marshall Wilderness Adventure

Sytes

Putting together a Hunt Talk summer fishing trip - streams and lakes surround. Flies, spinners, bobbers... whatever brings the adventure to your experience. Fly reels forward, backward, right side up or inside out... no critics allowed or you will burn at the stake!

This will be a backpack trek to the base camp location (Approx. 10 miles - day in / day out) where a wall tent eating area & group fire gathering location will be situated. Bring your hammock, tent, tipi, or tarp it under the stars... it's a b.y.o. setting. Bear precautions are a must.

This is open to all - Family, etc.

Looking at August. Dates to follow. 5 day adventure. Post your interest and what part of August would work best for you.
Please post up or pm if you are able to assist with pack options. Would like to make our Wilderness available to ALL including friends / family who may not be able to hike the distance (horse options).

Here's the skinny regarding this... I have a few treks with my horses for Summer. One is off to a "Professional" horse trainer/packer early spring to recover what I fudged up. Looking forward to working with this one as he is a stout 'stang! :) My paint has no care either way for riding or packing. She's a great mare and not much marish attitude within. Haha!
My intent is to work with these two as packers with 3 Summer trips planned and one Rut hunt come late Sept - hopefully. We're going in either way and figure - might as well open it up to you.

It is amazing! Borderline awe inspiring!

If you've ever wanted to experience the true Wilderness of Montana's Bob Marshall (it is awesome!) Well, here's your opportunity.

Last edited:
This sounds like a great idea! So far, our August is looking quiet. Thanks for the invite- I've always wanted to see the Bob Marshall Wilderness and this is the excuse I need. My wife is gonna want to bring a couple horses to pack and ride.

I'd join you if it was in july. Still might could make it work later, Just have to give something else up. But the 'Bob' is on my bucket list

oh man, what a great idea! I love the pitch, too. Theoretically interested....logistically complicated for me, though, due to an infant and toddler at home and I don't want to be using up my family leave time before hunting season starts. Thanks for getting this going, none-the-less!

That sounds like a blast. I’m pretty sure my August will be swamped but maybe this turns into a yearly event.

First part of august sounds good, east or west slope?

We can keep this open to discuss though my Initial thought...

North End via Hungry Horse > Meadow Creek TH > Follow the South Fork Flathead, "Wild and Scenic River" > to somewhere around the Black Bear pack Bridge or Independence Park. This is mainly Stream fishing and several trails following other creeks that run into the South Fork Flathead. Small lakes are a bit of a distance though the main river is well respected for the Cutthroat and Bull Trout (Need special Bull Trout "Catch Card" to fish for them). Little Salmon Park is just a bit further south.

We could route over to Big Salmon Falls from Holland Lake. Good fishing as well as several lakes surround the area. Smokey chain (Necklace) and Pendant lakes. It is a main artery for outfitter Pack strings and narrow pack trail / switchback pass to route over. This may give more fishing variety though the difficulty degree bumps up due to the pass, either pass.

As a side comment...
If any are interested in planning a packraft trek through the Bob in 2019, I am in! I've yet to float this though a good friend has and he says it is epic! 7 day trek...

Sounds fun.... my goats would have a great time! Not sure if I will be able to make it the first week, maybe the 2nd or 3rd week in Aug. Depending on draw's of coarse :W:
Matt

I am definitely interested in the 2019 packraft trip! If all things come together as planned, I will be finishing my degree this spring and may just have time in August as well! This sounds like a blast, I fished Graves creek with my brother a few years back and it was outstanding. Had tiny brookies jumping out of the water for our flies! :cool:

That sounds like a blast. I’m pretty sure my August will be swamped but maybe this turns into a yearly event.

We'll see. The HT Bear Hunt worked fantastic mostly due to great personalities w/o chips on shoulders. I believe we all share an interest enjoying the outdoors. The "Bob" is a bit challenging as it takes a bit to get in. I suppose that's one reason it holds its mystique.

Would enjoy Duck-slayer and his goats! I think between the goats, horses, backpacking, etc... We'll have a great variety of experience and a fantastic setting for friends, family, sons and daughters around the group campfire to yammer away and take in what the Bob offers.

I'm hoping my wife and daughter will be able to join the trek as well. Looks good thus far.

2nd week of August it is.

Any thoughts on location or other options? There are some basic rundown on the net covering both areas mentioned.

I could probably make it in for a weekend. The meadow creek trailhead and trail is a pretty good jump-off spot and an easy hike in to anyone that hasn't been there before. Just as an FYI to folks that may not know, the bull trout fishing season comes to a close at the end of July.

I could probably make it in for a weekend. The meadow creek trailhead and trail is a pretty good jump-off spot and an easy hike in to anyone that hasn't been there before. Just as an FYI to folks that may not know, the bull trout fishing season comes to a close at the end of July.

Ohhh... didn't know the July season close for the bulls. Good to know. Thanks.

For a first trek, let's keep it as safe as possible and stick with the Meadow Creek TH and camp around Independence Park.

To narrow down the dates, how about Aug 11-15 (Sat-Wed) or if we want to keep the bulls in play, we could work July 14-18 (Sat-Wed) otherwise, the Cutthroats are a fun catch as well - for myself, I'm a cutty guy. The size are quality however those bull torpedos are pretty fun!

The dates are open to discuss for forming this to be as calendar friendly for all interested. I am fairly flexible for scheduling. If July seems a better fit for the majority, that works for me...

I was also thinking if any have interest in floating the South fork Flathead back to the trailhead from camp, look into packrafts to pack into camp or I may be able to pack a couple in with the horses... whatever may be safely done to bring the most out of this trek.

Last edited:
The Bob is Awesome and I've never been in from Hungry Horse...I'd be interested in this trip. I'd like to bring my boys, age 10 & 11 and we'd would be backpacking in. Anyone else have kids that will be going in?

In regards to dates, at this point I'm pretty flexible. However, I've always wanted to string up the fly rod with some "meat" and catch a Bull Trout!

Work has me routed out of the area for the 1st half of July and the 2nd half of August. I have a stretch from July 26th - 30th that would work best. Also Bull Trout season, by permit - if I understand correctly though will verify. I understand this may not work for some though my days off are tight outside this one 5 day window - I may be able to add another day on the front or back end.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back