Default Do you boil your elk ribs?

I'm going to make some elk ribs today. I'm not going to use a smoker. I used the boil then bake method once before and they turned out great. Is there a better way? Do you guys boil them? I have heard some other methods can leave the kind of fat behind that coats the mouth. Thanks in advance. mtmuley

Some day I will shoot an elk close enough to the truck that I will pack out the ribs. I would like to try them as well.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    Some day I will shoot an elk close enough to the truck that I will pack out the ribs. I would like to try them as well.
    This one died about 500 yards from my kitchen. mtmuley

If I do them strictly in the oven I cook them on 425-450 for about 45 minutes, then spray them with root beer or dr pepper or apple cider and wrap them tight in foil and cook on 300 for 3 or 4 hours. I don't sauce them while they cook, just a good dry rub.
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    Smart shooting...gonna need a taste review on the ribs, sounds yummy.

I've done the parboil , then stick on the BBQ to finish method before. Worked great.

Never had them, but if you would be so kind as to send me some I would be glad to try my hand at them and let you know!
    Guns don't kill people. Dads with pretty daughters do!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    If I do them strictly in the oven I cook them on 425-450 for about 45 minutes, then spray them with root beer or dr pepper or apple cider and wrap them tight in foil and cook on 300 for 3 or 4 hours. I don't sauce them while they cook, just a good dry rub.
    this is how I would go about cooking them.
    Fear the beard....

Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    this is how I would go about cooking them.
    Done this recipe, it’s in there!!!!

I have been told to take Deer ribs and boil in crab boil, then put on the grill. I have not tried them that way, please try this so I don't waste any in the future. John
    “Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    Nice! It practically jumped in the freezer for you.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

I tried Elk ribs once, like chewing on a bar of bees wax. I need to try again, you guys boil the fat off?

Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    I tried Elk ribs once, like chewing on a bar of bees wax. I need to try again, you guys boil the fat off?
    This is exactly why I thought boiling them was a good idea. I didn't get to them yesterday, so am today. Boiling is a pita though, so I'm gonna try Cushman's recipe. mtmuley

How'd these go mate? Our season is just about to kick off and I'm keen to try.

I might have to try cushmans rootbeer idea on my cal bighorn sheep ribsI have,,they are a bit fatty looking but id like something that would keep them moist as ill probly never get another sheep to try.do they pick up any of the rootbeer taste cush?