Caribou Gear

Best way to go on a moose hunt without having to draw? $9000.00 budget

I second the Idaho moose strategy. Your odds are around 1 in 12 as a non-resident. Do not try to extrapolate what the odds are by seeing a unit that last year had 2 NR apply and 1 got drawn. That unit does not have 50% draw odds. There are no dedicated NR tags overall nor for a specific unit. All applications, R or NR, have equal chance to be pulled next but the NR choices may be null if the 10% cap for moose was reached or even if the 10% cap is not met yet the 10% per unit cap was reached.

Odds are, if tags hold steady and moose applications for R and NR remain steady, you will draw in the next 8 years with a 50% chance you have drawn by the end of 4 years of applying. Your cost will be around $200 a year to apply and you can't apply for any other tag. You have to front the money and if you draw then the cost of the tag. If you have average luck then can draw the tag for under $5000 and will not need a guide or pay a trespass fee if pick your application unit wisely. If have great luck then will be under $3000. If have terrible luck, the $9000 will be gone and no tag in hand after many years of fruitless applying.

I have been looking at Idaho for years and considered applying several times. I think I may apply this year and see what happens. I will most likely be looking at 2019 to book with any outfitter anyway. If I got lucky and drew a tag my bother could most likely buy an OTC archery elk tag for the same area and come along. I am still researching the drop hunt in Alaska though, it has me very excited. I am trying to find a way to get my brother to come with me.

A lot of good advice already given, so now you have to decide if you are after the true experience of the hunt (Alaska gets my vote here but you need another person of the same mindset) or you want a good experience and almost guaranteed meat with a good representation of moose antlers for the wall (Newfoundland gets the nod here). Good luck with your choice and congratulations.

A lot of good advice already given, so now you have to decide if you are after the true experience of the hunt (Alaska gets my vote here but you need another person of the same mindset) or you want a good experience and almost guaranteed meat with a good representation of moose antlers for the wall (Newfoundland gets the nod here). Good luck with your choice and congratulations.

I could not have said it better than this. A lot of folks go to Alaska and come home empty handed but have a grand experience. Newfoundland is a sure shot for some great meat and a nice trophy if you go with a good outfit. Our outfitter took some really great moose last year in that 50-60 inch range and average mid 40s.

You could hunt 3 years for 2 weeks/year in western Ontario with your budget. Fly in drop camp or cabin relatively low success rates but it is a grand adventure. Door to door from CO to Nakina was mid 2's a couple years ago.

I am with The Nikster - Alaska DIY Moose can be done for about $5,000, will cost more if you get one to get the meat, antlers, and cape home. But remote Alaska is an experience that is second to none, and DIY makes it even more memorable.

If you are interested in going DIY Alaska Moose, PM me and maybe I can provide some info. I have done remote Alaska about a dozen times, including a memorable caribou hunt with The Nikster (yours is still the biggest caribou I have seen taken on any of my hunts Nick!) Just FYI that my costs equate to a comfy camp - Bambistew lives in AK, doesn't take all of the luxuries, and does many great DIY hunts each year for a fraction of what I spend.

No Idaho tag this year. I may get serious about Canada next year, I have to admit I am a little intimidated about logistics for Alaska.

Another vote for DIY in AK.

I did it in 2015 for quite a bit less than $9k. We were 2 for 2. PM me if you would like details.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back