Winter Coyote Calling

Coop

How would you all go about calling public land coyotes that have been seeing some pressure? I know breeding season won't be starting for about another month, and I am sure that they have all heard the rabbit in distress calls. I have been having luck with mixes of locators and challenge calls but a lot seem to hang up just before they're in sight. Thanks!

Just gota give up and go home.

There pairing up now maybe running in groups of 3 old male, female and a young mail.
Got to Pi$$ them off, do some aggressive challenges then a pup in distress seam to make them come in to watch
someone get there but kicked . Don't leave to soon there coming in slow.

Spotlighting is legal in MT although I have only done it once without a whole lot of luck. As far as calling at night, are distress calls more effective, or coyote vocals like Coyotes-R-Us mentioned?

Thanks again guys.

Our coyotes are very pressured here in Minnesota and I have my best luck at night with a bright moon. Get out there and try sounds that you don’t think others use. I called one in last night on the full moon at -15, I also think the colder the better.

Spotlighting is legal in MT although I have only done it once without a whole lot of luck. As far as calling at night, are distress calls more effective, or coyote vocals like Coyotes-R-Us mentioned?

Thanks again guys.

Either will work. One trick is to wait until the coyotes start howling and then reply back. It usually works a lot better than blind calling.

I use different sounds (vole squeeks, fox pup distress ect). Try hunting deeper in the woods also. I have found that a lot of dogs just won't come in if your hunting fields or cut outs. They feel better closing in with cover.

I try to mix up my calling. Starting with a locator, move to a distress (rabbit etc.), then use a sound to authenticate the action (bird call or other opportunist sound that will make the Yote think the event is real) and then another Yote call (usually a bark). Just trying to make it as real as possible, making them feel challenged, and then making it too good to be true!1st Coyote.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back