PEAX Equipment

Wyoming G&F Improvements

375H&H

I wanted to start a thread about some improvements that the Wyoming G&F could make to their system of wildlife management. Now let me say that overall I believe they do an amazing job as there are significant opportunities and amazing quality for all species, but these are a few tweaks that I think should be incorporated:

Better management of mule deer. The region with the highest trophy potential is general for residents and over run with people. More draw units would be my suggestion in a lot of regions in the state that have trophy potential also to increase the size of the deer herd.

Bear baiting. I have no issue with baiting but I do have an issue with a 2 month season that only goes 5 days because the quota gets filled. Not a lot of opportunity and I think that could be increased with better management of the baiting done in the state.

Let's hear your suggestions and maybe some will fall on open ears.

Midget strippers with every antelope tag that takes more than 3 points to draw to bring me coffee and poptarts in the mornings when I'm camping on my hunt.

Let non residents hunt wilderness areas. :)

2nd on wilderness, or reclassify it non-motorized.

change point system to tags in special draw now, make rest of tags random draw. I would concede an outfitters pool for both res/non to get rid of wilderness requirement.

make non resident tags 8x or max 10x of residents

drop age to hunt antelope to 10.

make deadline for applying after reports on winter kill are done

Let non residents hunt wilderness areas. :)

2nd on wilderness, or reclassify it non-motorized.

change point system to tags in special draw now, make rest of tags random draw. I would concede an outfitters pool for both res/non to get rid of wilderness requirement.

make non resident tags 8x or max 10x of residents

drop age to hunt antelope to 10.

make deadline for applying after reports on winter kill are done

corner crossing or tax landowners for the land they lock up and essential theirs with checkerboard pattern

I wanted to start a thread about some improvements that the Wyoming G&F could make to their system of wildlife management. Now let me say that overall I believe they do an amazing job as there are significant opportunities and amazing quality for all species, but these are a few tweaks that I think should be incorporated:

Better management of mule deer. The region with the highest trophy potential is general for residents and over run with people. More draw units would be my suggestion in a lot of regions in the state that have trophy potential also to increase the size of the deer herd.

Bear baiting. I have no issue with baiting but I do have an issue with a 2 month season that only goes 5 days because the quota gets filled. Not a lot of opportunity and I think that could be increased with better management of the baiting done in the state.

Let's hear your suggestions and maybe some will fall on open ears.

Better mule deer management- I would be interested to know why you think limiting buck hunting causes an increase to the size of a deer herd. Also, I think I will listen to wildlife managers as to when an area needs limited quota. As long as the buck/doe ratio is adequate, why limit opportunity?

Bear baiting- Let's hear your solution to managing bear baits. My bear area rarely closes, you must hunt an area that is over run with outfitters.

Better mule deer management- I would be interested to know why you think limiting buck hunting causes an increase to the size of a deer herd. Also, I think I will listen to wildlife managers as to when an area needs limited quota. As long as the buck/doe ratio is adequate, why limit opportunity?

Bear baiting- Let's hear your solution to managing bear baits. My bear area rarely closes, you must hunt an area that is over run with outfitters.

For deer this is the equation I use which may be completely wrong: less bucks killed=more bucks in the herd=more does bred=more fawns=bigger herd. My case study would be Colorado where they increased their herd size through limited quota. it just doesn't make sense to me that the number 1 and 2 regions for deer trophy quality are general areas. Yes, the buck to doe ratio may be fine, but those regions could have a much better hunting experience and more trophies taken every year with limiting. Look at Montana, buck to doe ratio is fine but the quality of experience and trophy is nowhere near where it should be with their seasons which have significantly more opportunity than Wyoming does.

Let me think on the bear issue for a bit and I will get back to you.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back