Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Jimmy Tarps

Gabenzeke

Looking at taking the plunge into floorless shelters and I'm thinking about picking up a granite mountain from jimmy tarps. Anybody have feedback on this? It'd be intended for one guy with a stove and gear. Mostly September archery elk. Thoughts?

Do it. I have only used mine when shit has hit the fan but it is awesome to keep in the pack and super simple.

Do it. I have only used mine when shit has hit the fan but it is awesome to keep in the pack and super simple.

Can I ask why it isn't your regular shelter? Is it pretty storm worthy? And do you run it with a stove? Seems a bit on the small side, so want to make sure it's plenty roomy.

I have the original Granite Mountain (with removable door/vestibule) and is my primary shelter 9/10 times. Very roomy for one guy and gear (I'm 6'1, 185 fighting weight) but not too bad with 2 adults. I always guy out the two ties on the flat side for more head room. Not running a stove. Have never had an issue with condensation as the optimal pitch always leaves some room between the ground and the sides, especially in the front of the shelter. I've had it in some decent but not too crazy weather and it's held up like a champ. I'll often leave the door at home and have had rain and snow and never got wet. Not sure what current stitch quality is on newer models but mine definitely looks homemade. Hasn't been an issue IME. Easy to cram in a full pack with it's small pack size. Hope this helps. Cheers, John

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back