Caribou Gear

Hunting bullets: Partition vs ELD X

180 grain for both my 300 win mag and 30-06

Thanks

I have a partial box (29 to be exact) of Nosler Partition 30 cal 180 grain Spitzer, part number 16331. I will maill them to you tomorrow if you PM me with your address.

edited to add ****** jerm8352, check your messages.

Last edited:
I have a partial box (29 to be exact) of Nosler Partition 30 cal 180 grain Spitzer, part number 16331. I will maill them to you tomorrow if you PM me with your address.

edited to add ****** jerm8352, check your messages.

Thank you so much. I love this board!

I have always used partitions but have all hornady reloading materials and they send me stuff and I have seen a lot about the eld x bullets and I was looking at them in the store the other day and noticed I can get 100 of them for the price of 50 partitions and just got to thinking. I mean it’s not a make or break thing money wise but like I said always looking to save a few bucks and help the bottoms line. Thanks again everyone!

If you're interested in going with Hornady, I think you should have a look at Interbonds. Higher BC than Partitions, but designed more with weight retention in mind. If your used to Partitions, Interbonds will probably perform more like what you're accustomed too than the ELD-X. I think they're pretty comparable in price to the ELD-X as well.

I'd run a 180 grain hornady interlock. More than plenty of bullet for either of those cartridges and inexpensive

The hornady interlock is so underrated! I shoot 150 grains out of my .308 with sub-moa results and have yet to have a deer run. Hope to put one in an elk soon. Interlocks are a no-brainer at 22 cents a bullet. I'll honestly say at 22 cents a bullet, I practice more than I would with partitions for example. Although, I'd still give the partition the nod; there is not much of a difference.

The hornady interlock is so underrated! I shoot 150 grains out of my .308 with sub-moa results and have yet to have a deer run. Hope to put one in an elk soon. Interlocks are a no-brainer at 22 cents a bullet. I'll honestly say at 22 cents a bullet, I practice more than I would with partitions for example. Although, I'd still give the partition the nod; there is not much of a difference.

Yep. There are Interlocks. I've used them a lot in the past few years. I think that as far as the standard cup-and-core bullet goes they are the best. They won't have the terminal performance of a bonded bullet or a partition but I agree with Cerebral Stalker that they are underrated.

In my 300WM i am running the 180gr Sierra Gameking SBT. This bullet over 72grs of IMR4831 has been an absolute hammer on deer (only game animal so far).

So after reading all the posts, has anyone actually used the ELD-X on Elk/Deer?
I am a Nosler Partition guy for all my hunting, and i won't be changing, ever!
But my friend intends on using the ELD-X when he comes over to Montana in 2018, he bought a shed load of heads when he visited last, so how do they perform?
I have heard mixed reports, especially in relation to a similar result as the SST.
Cheers
Richard

But my friend intends on using the ELD-X when he comes over to Montana in 2018, he bought a shed load of heads when he visited last, so how do they perform?
I have heard mixed reports, especially in relation to a similar result as the SST.
Cheers
Richard

I have used the 178 gn hornady eldx out of a 300 wsm on deer and elk. Both critters dropped instantly. The bullet performance was on par with what hornady advertises. The bullets impacted and expanded throughout the vital area. The deer was a double lung shot. With most other bullets he'd have run off and died. Since this bullet sent shards of bullet material into the vital area he dropped stone dead.

I've used partitions, still do in 7mm-08. They work well. I've used barnes and still do from time to time. Use theses bullets inside the performance parameters and do your part and you'll be in good shape.

Cheers
Richard

I've been using 162 gr. Eld-x for my Tikka 7mm the past two years. Two bull elk, one cow elk, 2 antelope bucks, and 2 mule deer bucks all down with one shot. It has performed flawlessly for me. Long range accuracy and peformance has been great.

Many thanks chaps, that will boost his confidence, he will be shooting a 300 win mag, i believe he has some 212 grain loaded up.
Cheers
Richard
I have used the 178 gn hornady eldx out of a 300 wsm on deer and elk. Both critters dropped instantly. The bullet performance was on par with what hornady advertises. The bullets impacted and expanded throughout the vital area. The deer was a double lung shot. With most other bullets he'd have run off and died. Since this bullet sent shards of bullet material into the vital area he dropped stone dead.

I've used partitions, still do in 7mm-08. They work well. I've used barnes and still do from time to time. Use theses bullets inside the performance parameters and do your part and you'll be in good shape.

I've been using 162 gr. Eld-x for my Tikka 7mm the past two years. Two bull elk, one cow elk, 2 antelope bucks, and 2 mule deer bucks all down with one shot. It has performed flawlessly for me. Long range accuracy and peformance has been great.

Like said before, Shooters Pro Shop is a good place. Midwayusa runs sales all the time on bullets, as well.

I'd use Accubonds or Partitions before the ELDX.

So far I really like the 175 eld-x in my 7mm. I shot 3 does with it this summer, all 3 through both lungs missing the front shoulder. All went less than 35 yards with no meat damage. All shots were under 200 yards. Accurate and a decent price.

The ELD-X are a "behind the shoulder" bullet, just as any other non-bonded ballistic tip. I had pass-throughs on an antelope buck and a mule deer buck, both under 200yds with the 162gr 7mm Rem Mag load. But I smacked the shoulder blade on a bedded cow elk, and it only made it into the first lung with almost a complete core/jacket separation at 285yds. My co-worker hit a rib on a mule deer buck at 300yds with a 200gr 300wsm ELD-X and it pivoted 90* and traveled back to the on-side hip, destroying it.

I'm impressed with the accuracy of these bullets, but I'm pursuing a load with the Accubond and Accubond Long Range bullets to have a little more confidence with less-than-perfect shots.

You can add one more elk to my post above as of this morning. Admittedly, it was a "behind the shoulder" shot. DRT. . . No bullet to recover, entrance was a 30 Cal sized hole, exit about golfball sized, 320 yds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back