Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting bullets: Partition vs ELD X

jerm8352

I have been using Nosler partitions for elk deer and antelope for a while with great success. I have no reason to switch except that the Hornady eld x hunting bullets are basically half the price of the partitions. I am a cheapskate and right now the wife is staying home to take care of the kids so any money saved is a good thing. However, we depend on hunting so whatever bullet I use has to perform. Just curious and bored as I can’t hunt or fish right now. Thanks for all the help.

Of all things to skimp on, ammunition is not one of them. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. Be happy that you found a bullet that performs well out of your gun and stick to it. Partitions are expensive for a reason. This coming from an ELD-X guy.

Are you talking Bullets or Loaded Ammo?

Shooters Pro Shop is Nosler's Factory Second seller. You can get Partitions, Etips, Accubonds for reloading for a fraction of what they retail for. Sometimes they even have cheap loaded ammo.

I agree with BlakeA. The bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt, but the most important. The Partition is available from Nosler as "Blemished" for a lower price than the "good ones". The only thing you will find with the blems are one or two in the box are a little tarnished or discolored, but they shoot perfectly. Stick with the Partitions !

edited to add***** I must have been typing the same time as Mtnhtr. He offers similar advice .

Last edited:
Don't know what cartridge your using, for me it would make a difference. About all I have hunted with for over 30 years are Hornady cup and core bullet's, never had one fail me! Many years ago I used the Speer Hot Core in a 7mm rem mag, they work really well and the only reason I'm not using them today is the Hornady's were a bit more accurate!

I don't care for bullet's with plastic tip's, reason is that tip has to go somewhere when the bullet hit's, I suspect right back into the bullet! The Nosler bullet's I think they all have that tip. Nosler bullet's are designed to retain 70% of their weight. Have read of some pretty messy results with plastic tipped bullet other than monolithic.

As I said, no idea what cartridge your using but normally I like a medium weight bullet to start and look for accuracy and speed. I don't have much use for a bullet in a hunting cartridge that will make say 2800fps but have to load down to 2400fps to get accuracy out of it. If you want a 308, buy a 308. Don't get a 300 mag and load it down! For hunting bullet's in up to 25 cal, I like the heavy end of bullet's. In my 25-06 I use nly 117gr bullet's and can darn near drive them to fast. I've tried 100gr in it and they really mess up the inside of a deer! Never went with a 115gr bullet, seem's they are all premium and I'm not into them. My 6.5x55 I like 140gr bullet's, they just kill stuff! Like the same bullet in the 6.5x06, just kill stuff with them. My 308 I only run cast in but my 30-06 get's 180gr bullet's. My opinion of the 30-06 and 180 gr bullet's is that they just work. Velocity stays down to where it won't tear up a bullet! Now I haven't used a 30-06 till this year, one shot, one elk! Bullet exited but not a lot of damage on the inside. I used a 308 for game hunting for many years with a 165gr bullet. The 180 worked well in it but I wanted the bit faster 165, no complaint'.

I take shot's at big game to 300+/- yde and need bullet's that preform best in there in the rifle I'm using. I don't want a bullet that tears up the inside to much. But if you don't car how much the bullet's tears up inside, plastic tipped bullet's with a lot of velocity will do. And as you see, they are expensive. Forget the saying that the bullet is the most inexpensive part of the hunt. A bullet that cost twice the cost of a cup and core is expensive! If for no other reason than reg cup and core bullet's, lead tipped, will do everything you need but, only if you choose them properly.

Virtually all bullets are cheaper than partitions, if you're handloading. You'd probably get the same perfomance from accubonds and pay less. But, unless you shoot a lot, you're talking small differences here. Is it worth messing with a good thing?

I don't care for bullet's with plastic tip's, reason is that tip has to go somewhere when the bullet hit's, I suspect right back into the bullet! The Nosler bullet's I think they all have that tip. Nosler bullet's are designed to retain 70% of their weight.

Nosler Partitons do not have a plastic tip. The Nosler Ballistic Tip does have the plastic tip, and tends to expand a lot quicker and penetrate less than the Partitions.

Thanks for the help. I knew I needed to just stick with the partitions but I really am that cheap and needed someone else to tell me to stay (I seriously spend hours online with every purchase I make just to save a penny or two. I literally can not spend money until I know for certain that I am getting the best deal possible).

Thanks for the help. I knew I needed to just stick with the partitions but I really am that cheap and needed someone else to tell me to stay (I seriously spend hours online with every purchase I make just to save a penny or two. I literally can not spend money until I know for certain that I am getting the best deal possible).

What caliber and grain weight are you shooting. I might have some laying around to donate to a good cause. I have switched over to Barnes TTSX, but have some Nosler Partitions in 3 different calibers.

Take the time you spend on the internet and go shovel walks or mow yards, then you don't have to worry about the pennies you might save.

I'm a little curious as to why partitions to ELD-X specifically. Their both hunting bullets, of course, but designed with rather different performance aspects in mind.

I'd run a 180 grain hornady interlock. More than plenty of bullet for either of those cartridges and inexpensive

Hard to beat the Partition and getting them through SPS. If you are really that worried about cost try the Accubonds. Fantastic bullet also.

I'm a little curious as to why partitions to ELD-X specifically. Their both hunting bullets, of course, but designed with rather different performance aspects in mind.

I have always used partitions but have all hornady reloading materials and they send me stuff and I have seen a lot about the eld x bullets and I was looking at them in the store the other day and noticed I can get 100 of them for the price of 50 partitions and just got to thinking. I mean it’s not a make or break thing money wise but like I said always looking to save a few bucks and help the bottoms line. Thanks again everyone!

If you are truly trying to save a couple bucks I would grab some of the X or M's and use them for practice and plinking then use the partitions for hunting season. If we are only talking about 50 shots per year out of your hunting gun it would be a moot point in my book.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back