Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

legal moose help

okie archer

I have been invited to moose hunt in 20a by a friend wo owns a little bit of land near Fairbanks. We are both non resident. He is telling me that in that zone it is any bull that is legal. I thought 50" or 4 brow tines was minimum legal size. I called AK g&f today and gentleman informed me that both areas in 20a are 50" or 4 brow tines. I don't understand what my friend is talking about. Am i missing something? I dont know how to handle the situation because I don't want to sound skeptical or insulting to my friend.
Any advice?

I don't see any non res hunts in 20A that is any legal bull so fish and game is correct it seems to me. Just tell him you where looking at the boundaries of the unit and reading regs and tell him what you found. I wouldn't see why it would be in any way insulting. The law is what it is May save you both a lot of trouble with the brown shirts of AK.
Also a word of advise about AK know your game laws and follow them to a T especially want and waste and game retrieval rules. Those are taken very seriously in AK.

HAHAHA! Correct MTTW what in the heck was I thinking. Geez see it's not even in my vocabulary. I'd cut every inch of that moose meat off it's that good.

There are "draw" hunts (for residents) that are "any bull", but harvest ticket regs (for a non-resident) are 4 brow tines or 50" spread. It sounds to me like your buddy is NOT familiar with the regulations. I would be wary of taking his advice, with regards to hunting in AK. There are some GMU's in AK where a non-resident can take "any bull", but Unit 20 is not one of them.

20A, non-resident:
One bull with 50-inch antlers or antlers with 4 or more brow
tines on at least one side

Harvest ticket, season is Sept 1-25, 2018

Maybe he is just using old information. When I hunted ANWR it was any bull. Now it is 50" /brow tine restrictions.

You know what I highly recommend? Reading the regulations for the area you are hunting, rather than relying on a buddy or random strangers on the internet. "Some guys on Hunt Talk told me..." won't fly with a warden. There are different regulations for residents and non-residents. They're pretty clearly stated in the AK G&F regulations for each GMU.

You know what I highly recommend? Reading the regulations for the area you are hunting, rather than relying on a buddy or random strangers on the internet. "Some guys on Hunt Talk told me..." won't fly with a warden. There are different regulations for residents and non-residents. They're pretty clearly stated in the AK G&F regulations for each GMU.

EXCELLENT ADVICE! To add a caveat, ask questions regarding regulations (that would result in a citation) of a wildlife trooper (division of the AK State Troopers). They are the ones that write the tickets and interpret the regs in the field. Totally different organization than F&G.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back