Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado GMU recommendations for 72 year old dad's hunt

Cotten

My dad will be 72 when we hit the mountains next fall. He has accumulated 9 NR preference points for deer here in Colorado. His knee has recently started bothering him and I think it's time to cash in those points before he can't hike like we have hunting elk the past few years. He's willing to hunt hard and cover miles. We hunted cow elk this year together and hiked 5 miles one day, 8 miles the next, followed by another two 5 mile days. Our hunting trips are really an excuse to spend a week together, but I would love to put him on a quality mule deer. I think a 3rd or 4th season hunt is the way to go. I've hunted units 10, 21, and 30 for elk. Any of those units would make for a fun mule deer hunt, especially unit 30, but he doesn't have the NR points to make that happen. Right now I'm looking pretty hard at a 3rd season hunt in unit 22. I've driven through that unit a few times. It looks like incredible mule deer country and the trophy potential is there. Looking at OnX though, it appears to be heavily roaded. We aren't really road hunter types and I would much prefer a nice WSA over a road in every canyon or on top of every ridge. Anyone with any experience in unit 22? Is there another unit I should be looking at? Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

I used a couple of resident points on a 22 3rd season deer tag in 2016. I ended up with a small buck on my last evening after a misstep on a larger buck.

You are correct that there are a lot of roads. There are a few isolated areas, but it didn't feel like wilderness to me. In addition to other hunters, there is quite a bit of commercial activity in the area.

In 3rd season you'll also have to contend with more elk hunters. 4th season may be a more enjoyable experience.

Just my $.02, but I personally won't apply there again. Too many roads. Sorry, but I don't have enough experience to reccomend another unit for your situation.

I've hunted that unit 3rd season twice recently, 2015 (wifes tag) and just recently in 2017. You are correct that there are very few areas to get away from roads, 1 to maybe 2 miles is about the most you will be able to find. This past year I checked out several new spots trying to find hidden pockets away from the roads and found some deer, but honestly the better bucks I found were pretty close to the roads...

Last edited:
Are the roads largely navigable by 4wd pickup, or do they require an ATVs or side-by-side?
Any experience with unit 30, 3rd season?

4wd pick is fine for most. A few get pretty narrow due to sagebrush/tree branches where an atv would be preferred but overall a truck Is good to go. ATV would just save some wear and tear on your vehicle.

You are right Unit 22 is covered with roads... one around every bend... haha I would consider Unit 43 (early), 53 (3rd), 55 (3rd), and 66 (2nd) if I had 9 NR points. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I will look at those units. Has anyone hunted GMU 30 during 2nd or 3rd season fairly recently?

You are right Unit 22 is covered with roads... one around every bend... haha I would consider Unit 43 (early), 53 (3rd), 55 (3rd), and 66 (2nd) if I had 9 NR points. Good Luck!

It look like 3rd season hunts for 53 (11 points) and 55 (12 points) are out of reach.

Have you looked at 33 4th? Not sure about the points needed. But it has some potential. Not nearly the quality in 33 like there are in the units mentioned but every year some 180 to 200 inch deer come from 33. Also 33 has been a 1 point unit for NR for a while so you could likely squeeze in a few more hunts before your dad hangs it up.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back