Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Platypus Water Bladders

119bowhunter

I'm looking to start using a water bladder in my new Mystery Ranch Metcalf, I own a camelback bladder but never could get over the plasticy taste. I've heard good things about the Platypus bladders but would like to hear some reviews from folks who are using them over the taste. Also, does anyone happen to know what size bladder the Metcalf will accomodate? Thanks
TJ

I can't speak to the size of the bladder for the Metcalf, but I've used Platypus and MSR. They both make great bladders, and I personally haven't noticed the plastic taste. I trust the Platypus a little more for durability.

Camel backs make me gag with the taste. I've never noticed a bad taste in a platypus except for the time I pumped dead bloated mouse water into it. Just don't do that and it will work fine.

I've ruined most other brands. A friend suggested I try Platypus four years ago. So far, not a single failure. I use both a 2.0L and a 3.0L Big Mouth. Both fit in my MR Metcalf. No taste issues with the Platy.

I run a 2 liter platy big zip in my Metcalf and love it. I didn't really care for the mouthpiece and hose. Found an insulated one that I liked better from another brand and it has the same hookup as the platy...

I tried the platypus, and switched immediately to the Osprey. Much better, the hose disconnects about a eeven with the fill hole and no need to remove the hose that you drink from. I use I think the 2 1/2 liter model.

I’ve used a Platypus for several years now.

Every once in a while I’ll get a plastic taste if water sits in the hose too long and it’s hot outside. Even then, it only lasts for a swallow or two and then you get to fresh water from the bladder.

I have been use in platypus and a source bladders four years.. I have no complaints on either...

Do the Platypus bladders have an attachment to hook your water filter up to them directly? What I really like about my Camelbak is that I can just detach my mouth piece and attach my water filter hose to it and fill my bladder without removing it from my pack. But you guys are right, the water ends up tasting like Buzz Lightyear's plastic balls and I'd love to upgrade and not have to deal with that anymore.

Camel backs make me gag with the taste. I've never noticed a bad taste in a platypus except for the time I pumped dead bloated mouse water into it. Just don't do that and it will work fine.

I usually squirt a little "Cow in Estrus" or "Bull Elk in Rut Pee" in mine, and can't even taste the dead mouse anymore.

Just out of curiosity, has Badlands been one of those failures? I already own a Platypus, but I'm about to buy a Badlands pack that won't fit my Platypus. :(

Nope, never tried one of their bladders. My experience with Badlands packs (long time ago) eliminated them from a possibility for things I rely on in the field. Maybe things have changed with their products. I hope you have great luck with them.

I lost an oring on my badlands and got soaked early one October morning two years ago. Loved how big the fill lid was on the badlands. My platy has more off a 2 litter bottle like oppening tough as hell I've had my 3 litter for at least 7 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back