Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tips for getting in shape for backcountry

MooseBell

I am planning on going on my first backcountry elk hunt this year. Looking for tips on how to get in shape if I do not live near mountains or any serious terrain. I know BigFin has alluded to getting in shape by going on hikes with his pack on a trail near his house. I can do this but I am worried it won't prepare me for rugged terrain in the backcountry as the trails near where I live do not have steep topography.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MooseBell

If you have access to weights, do things like squats, deadlifts, get ups, lunges.

Do pushups and pullups (strong core and posterior chain is important for packing elk).

Put on a pack with 40# in it and do step ups on a bench, alternate leading legs. 40 minutes of this is mind numbing, but if you don't have hills you don't have hills. An alternative is stairs or bleachers. Skip the StairMaster.

Run, swim, and/or bike for some cardio training.

One day a week of plyometrics is good if you have a good fitness base.

Put a 45 lb weight in you pack, get on the treadmill, and put that incline as steep as it'll go. Go as long and fast as you can and you will notice a big difference over the course of a few weeks. I typically do this as a warm-up option before getting to my regular workout routine, which is similar to what JLS mentioned above. It isn't fun but you will be thanking yourself when you get into the backcountry.

In addition to what JLS said, yoga has done wonders for me. When I'm crawling around during a stalk or just hauling a pack it's important to be flexible.

I will also say that cardio is extremely important; possibly more important than anything. Your muscles won't hurt too bad after backpacking if you do even light lifting, but your brain will be more likely to get enough oxygen to avoid altitude sickness if you're in peak cardio shape. You'll also be able to keep trucking along without as many breaks at high altitudes. I could explain the biology behind it, but I think most people get it.

I'm a big believer in cardio training to help get yourself in shape for backcountry hunting.

I can seem to get in enough strength type stuff just doing chores around the house, but getting in a routine of running regularly all year has really made a huge difference in getting around in the hills for me.

Nothing can truly mimic humping up and down the hills at altitude other than actually doing it, but where I used to find myself huffing and puffing with my hands on my knees gasping for air, I barely find myself out of breath. Also my muscles are used to recovering so I can go day after day without getting overly sore.

That's my 2 cents. Nathan

I don't think you can get in shape for mountain hunting while living in the flat at sea level without running and doing so at a pretty good intensity. Endurance training has to be the focus with the added benefit of dropping your weight/body fat percentage. Power to weight ratio is king when climbing mountains. Strength training should mostly be focused on support muscles for your legs to train for side-hilling and preventing injuries from running itself. Cycling and swimming aren't best from the perspective that they aren't weight bearing which walking with a pack very much is.

I have seen a lot of people fail in the mountains because they were hiking with a moderate pack load on even paths at sea level.

For hiking pack workouts you have to seek out artificial elevation like high rise stair cases, sled hills and football stadiums and then you do hill repeats.

I find that when I'm on the treadmill or stationary bike that reading a book makes the time and miles pass quickly so it's not so terribly boring.

Running, Heavy Hikes, and Biking seem to do it for me. Also have about a 3 month window where I can get some swimming in the river/lake out my front door.

Cardio for sure! One of the biggest hurdles to hunting mountains is being able to control your breathing and heart rate. Mountains will knock the shit out of everyone, but if your heart isn't trying to pound its way through your chest and you can get to the top of a hill without hyperventilating its all doable.

I think the first step is a true picture of your current physical condition. Cardio fitness (resting heart rate, recovery rate, VO2 max)then strength, weight or body mass index. If an obvious problem is there, fix that first. The biggest obstacle is likely altitude. If you can't train at altitude, understand you need to be in superior condition at sea level to be average at over 6000 feet.
All the above are good training tips, but there is no machine that is better than a pack on your back and a dirt/rocks under your feet. Remember you are also training your joints as well as the muscles in your legs and back. Side hilling can take out a fit man who only trains on flat ground.
Best of luck

I have a hard time convincing myself to go to a gym when I can exercise outside.

This is largely true, and I agree with the overall premise of it. However, don't overlook the value of properly done strength training with weights, even if you only do it one or two days a week. Not only does it help you perform better in the field, but it is also a key component of injury prevention and staving off loss of muscle mass as we age.

I'm not in any way advocating hours upon hours in the gym. I'm talking 45 minutes, one or two times a week. Think heavy weights, think compound movements, think posterior chain and major muscle groups. Five to six lifts tops, do them in circuit fashion, and take short rests between sets.

I'd much rather be on my mountain bike or hiking/running trails, but I've seen and experienced the difference it makes.

Everything that JLS said. Compound barbell lifts are great for strength, core stability and injury prevention, and do whatever you enjoy most to keep a good cardio base. Once summer rolls around and you are a few months out from hunting season, do things that simulate gaining elevation with a weighted pack. If you don't have hills, do step-ups with a heavy pack, or hike stairs or stadium bleachers.

If you need a strict program to hold you accountable, check out the Backcountry Big Game Training Plan from Mountain Tactical Institute. It will incorporate a lot of weighted step ups, dumbbell lunges, sandbag getups, a few runs, etc. Equipment needed is minimal- #25 dumbbells, sandbag, backpack and something to step up on.

These are all great things. I'm lucky to have Mt. Helena with a good trail going straight up. I did that over the summer with 50-60lbs in my pack, and even that didn't prepare me for packing out my fiances bull.

On top of all of the exercise above, I think the best thing I did was control what I was putting in my body. Just changing my diet helped a ton. Then, while we were in the backcountry, having food that isn't processed and full of crap will do wonders for energy. We make our own dehydrated meals so we can control what we eat. The quality of fuel you put in your body can go a long ways no matter how good of shape you are in.

In addition to what JLS said, yoga has done wonders for me. When I'm crawling around during a stalk or just hauling a pack it's important to be flexible.

I will also say that cardio is extremely important; possibly more important than anything. Your muscles won't hurt too bad after backpacking if you do even light lifting, but your brain will be more likely to get enough oxygen to avoid altitude sickness if you're in peak cardio shape. You'll also be able to keep trucking along without as many breaks at high altitudes. I could explain the biology behind it, but I think most people get it.

Even people in Fargo are doing yoga now? All my high school friends, enrolled in colleges there, to mainly drink............
Things do change...................
And people get in shape to hunt?.............

Last edited:
all good advice. I would focus on taking hikes wherever you can with a pack. start at 25 pounds, work up to 50. I would also focus on body weight squats.

After taking a LONG break from dedicated exercise, I did this routine at home and it did wonders. Not saying its the be-all-end-all, but a good place to start.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/deer-hunting/2014/05/get-elk-shape-phase-one

Good luck. I am also a Flatlander who is anticipating a good butt kicking to get myself in shape for Wyoming elk

Last edited:
Back