Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount Ideas

Leland with Big Cat Taxidermy, top cat guy in the country. Do any pose or look you are going for

2. Default

Please don’t take this post as saying no one else is any good, but Phil is the best cat guy in the world. If you are going to say someone is the best I guess you have to back it up if you mean that literally. From the 2017 Taxidermy World Championship:Name:  42B17F2E-FFA1-4A31-A6DD-484235B91DA8.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  51.1 KBName:  1A8A9596-4703-403C-99CF-A07DFE235E17.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  108.1 KB

I'm a fan of the laying on a log. My mom does taxidermy and has done a handful, and I definitely like those more than others. She does more bobcats though, and I like those jumping for a quail. I think I've seen them done jumping for grouse, and think that would be neat.

Lehman, I have seen Phil's work and he does a great job no doubt about it. I was more so looking for pose ideas as I already have a taxidermist I already use. When I get him done I will be sure to share!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

Wow, those Phil Soucy mounts are unbelievable - anyone have a guesstimate on a price for one of those?

Congrats on the nice Tom too EYJONAS!
    Last edited by rustneversleeps; 02-07-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: congrats to OP

6. Default

Name:  IMG_3179.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  42.2 KBName:  IMG_3180.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  66.4 KB by far the best cat mount I ever seen!

I just shot a cat in Alberta on Sunday and I'm sending him to Phil Soucy's for sure.

He isn't the cheapest but he's the best in my opinion.

Congrats on the Alberta tom eyes......i love seeing them big boys please do share. That is a very nice looking mount sneakypete. Thanks for sharing.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes View Post
    I just shot a cat in Alberta on Sunday and I'm sending him to Phil Soucy's for sure.

He isn't the cheapest but he's the best in my opinion.
    Any pictures you can share?
    Who were you hunting with?

what about recreating your 3rd picture?

do a false 1/2 tree coming up from the floor, few branches coming off and the tom perched as he is: nice view of his head looking down, get the tail, can see the back claws a bit

Wow who did that one?

12. Default

A friend and I did this mount. It takes up some room. I could only imagine for a big cat but it sure beats dusting the thing off every day.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  41.6 KB

13. Default

Name:  20180414_154530.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  35.9 KB
    Cats are really hard and it seems about 75% of them end up looking like Helen Keller became a taxidermist. The mountain lion in the pic was done by Lifelike Taxidermy in Carmen, ID. Ben is a houndsman and knows what a cat should look like. He is sort of "the cat man" among all my hound hunting buddies. The African lion was done by my friend Randy Gilmore out of St. Louis, MO. He does everything that does at the zoo there and also does nice cats. I like seeing the mounts on this thread. Very cool.

just take it to Soucy and bite the bullet on price. he will not disappoint. not many will alter a form to a special pose and I can't imagine paying 5k-7K for a shite mount. bonedogg.

The first ledge or the one with the mule deer under it are awesome. Those are my votes!
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

A relaxed pose, like the one on the log with its leg hanging down. That's the way animals spend most of their lives and how I'd want one represented in my home - just chillin' in the corner.

No McManus stupid grins!

Here's an update on the lion mount. He's about done and I am very happy with him. Fritz from Rimrock Taxidermy in Park City has once again done a great job for me and I will continue to take stuff to him for years to come. His service and turnaround time is unmatched in my opinion. Enjoy.Name:  ML 3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  85.5 KB

Here's an update on the lion mount. He's about done and I am very happy with him. Fritz from Rimrock Taxidermy in Park City has once again done a great job for me and I will continue to take stuff to him for years to come. His service and turnaround time is unmatched in my opinion. Enjoy.Name:  ML 3.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  85.5 KBName:  ML 1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  103.2 KBName:  ML 2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  140.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I dunno why it posted like 3 times but oh well, there he is.

Looks great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12