Caribou Gear

Mount Ideas

Here is a cat of a friends. Done by Dennis Purcell down in Red Lodge/Roberts area. The guy knows cats very very well.

Norman's Cat.jpg

3791FA0A-9CAD-4600-A319-83702AFB31F7.jpg
There is a reason Phil has multiple world titles and has been honored with the cover shot on Breakthrough 3x that I know of, maybe more now. To have 1 world title or make the cover of that magazine 1x is an accomplishment most guys will never see. Heard he used a real tongue for one of his world title cats. First time attaching a pic, let’s see if it works.

Ya, the guy is amazing. Cats are the vast majority of what he does. Every one of them is amazing. 933A6609-D64B-4BDC-9C74-ACCA891A09C8.jpg

Please don’t take this post as saying no one else is any good, but Phil is the best cat guy in the world. If you are going to say someone is the best I guess you have to back it up if you mean that literally. From the 2017 Taxidermy World Championship:42B17F2E-FFA1-4A31-A6DD-484235B91DA8.jpg1A8A9596-4703-403C-99CF-A07DFE235E17.jpg

I'm a fan of the laying on a log. My mom does taxidermy and has done a handful, and I definitely like those more than others. She does more bobcats though, and I like those jumping for a quail. I think I've seen them done jumping for grouse, and think that would be neat.

Lehman, I have seen Phil's work and he does a great job no doubt about it. I was more so looking for pose ideas as I already have a taxidermist I already use. When I get him done I will be sure to share!

Wow, those Phil Soucy mounts are unbelievable - anyone have a guesstimate on a price for one of those?

Congrats on the nice Tom too EYJONAS!

Last edited:
I just shot a cat in Alberta on Sunday and I'm sending him to Phil Soucy's for sure.

He isn't the cheapest but he's the best in my opinion.

Congrats on the Alberta tom eyes......i love seeing them big boys please do share. That is a very nice looking mount sneakypete. Thanks for sharing.

what about recreating your 3rd picture?

do a false 1/2 tree coming up from the floor, few branches coming off and the tom perched as he is: nice view of his head looking down, get the tail, can see the back claws a bit

A friend and I did this mount. It takes up some room. I could only imagine for a big cat but it sure beats dusting the thing off every day.

Capture.jpg

20180414_154530.jpg
Cats are really hard and it seems about 75% of them end up looking like Helen Keller became a taxidermist. The mountain lion in the pic was done by Lifelike Taxidermy in Carmen, ID. Ben is a houndsman and knows what a cat should look like. He is sort of "the cat man" among all my hound hunting buddies. The African lion was done by my friend Randy Gilmore out of St. Louis, MO. He does everything that does at the zoo there and also does nice cats. I like seeing the mounts on this thread. Very cool.

just take it to Soucy and bite the bullet on price. he will not disappoint. not many will alter a form to a special pose and I can't imagine paying 5k-7K for a shite mount. bonedogg.

Back