Buying used, good or bad?

MetalSpineGuy

I'm looking to get into bow hunting but I want to practice for a good long while first.

My question is, is buying a used bow a good or bad idea? I have found a few good used bows (a few years old) complete packages with sights, arrows and stuff for around $200 shipped.

I feel like starting there to see if I can even hit the broad side of a barn before shelling out a good chunk of money on a new bow.

Being an archery virgin, I figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance.

You need to watch out on used bows on eBay. Guys will sell stuff with cracked limbs or really old bows for cheap that aren't up to par with today's technology. I bought a used bow before and it had a cracked limb. I thought I was getting a great deal and when I took it to the shop to get set up to my specs they found the limb. I'd be careful. There's some honest guys out there, but there's also a lot of old outdated bows. For around $350 you can get a lot of new bows with wide array of draw lengths and weights. I got my wife a PSE Stinger X for $350 as a package and it's a great bow. Hoyt sells an Ignite for a similar price, maybe a little more. Mission bows by Mathews sells similar bows for a good price. If you decide you don't like archery, you can sell the bows for about what you paid for them, or not take a huge loss in a sale. Don't get sucked in by a low price on ebay. For a little more you can get a now bow that will grow with you.

I haven't bought a new bow in over a decade. The problem new guys have, bows aren't like rifles. You need the correct combination of bow weight, draw length, and arrow size (spine and length). That takes a shop, or a knowledgeable friend. $200 is a bit low for me, $400 will get you a bow, only a cpl years old.

New bows are expensive, no doubt about it. Being entirely new to archery, I would suggest you find a reputable ARCHERY SPECIFIC pro shop in your area. With a properly setup bow, and some basic instruction they will have you shooting reasonably well at 20yds before you leave the shop.

I would be careful of used. If you can find someone local who is selling, Craig's List has alot, see if they'll let you take it to pro shop for them to look it over before purchase. Honestly though, with how cheap some of the entry level packages are I would just go new and have them set you up right. Take a look at some of these prices new:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow..._ref=~type-Compound-Bow+Packages&CQ_view=list

Those are some great bows.

I have purchased 4 or 5 of them used and I have never had a problem.

I would go to Archerytalk and check out their classified. They have some really good deals. You can end up buying a some that are last year models new that are still a lot less than new. I am not sure I would ever buy another new bow again.

Like someone said bows are not like rifles they do not hold their value.

Used bows can be a good way to get into the game. I would not go the e-bay route though. Either Local purchase that can be taken to a pro-shop and inspected, or archerytalk if you had an idea of what you were looking for first.

I also think that the brand new package bows that others have mentioned would be a good way to go as well. These packages are pretty affordable and will get you set iup with everything you need.

I bought 3 used bows this year as a new archery big game hunter. Two off CL, one off AT. All three work good and are still shooting. In hindsight I would have been ahead to buy a bare bow from a reputable manufacturer. The problem with that is that the affordable models come with accessories I don't want.

My primary bow is a Diamond Fugitive that is almost unused, with a Black Gold sight and a Ripcord rest with new strings that set me back about $350. I really like it, but in the end it took me a couple tries to get what I wanted. The plus side is that for another $250 I have a really nice backup bow with a good rest and five pin sight.

My advice? Buy a quality package deal and then watch AT for higher quality accessories. Honestly, I think most modern bows are so far advanced that killing deer at 50 yards is doable with practice.

The thing with ebay is that I'd be nervous about buying a bow sight unseen. Buying locally from cl or from a proshop, you can see the bow and inspect it and shoot it to see if you even like it. Someone off of cl shouldn't have a problem with you taking the bow to get inspected at a shop to make sure everything is ok with it. AT is a crapshoot too with sight unseen bows. There's a lot of people that want to unload their crap. Sure, you can get something cheaper, but you don't know if the bow has been dry fired or if there's any other sort of issue that led them to selling it. If I were to buy a used bow again it would be locally through cl or a shop to be able to see it and shoot it before I decide.

I agree, John. Definitely a buyer beware situation, and probably best to just buy a new bow for a beginner. For me dealing in online used purchases has worked out great and saved me a lot of money, but it is always a risk.

The most I have ever spent on an entire bow set-up is $350, but all deals have been local. Never bought a new bow.

I agree that they can be a great value! But, YES, you do need to know the draw length and weight range that fits you. I have both bought and sold used bows. I have never had a problem with either the compounds or recurves that I have bought. I suggest that you try a friends bow or look over some at an archery shop. Decide what model(s) you are interested in then check out archerytalk.com.

I have bought bows, rifles, clothes, DSLR cameras and lenses, etc. used with no issues!

Buying used is certainly up to you, but my advice is to only buy what you can shoot, that goes for new and used. Don't buy anything you haven't shot, I know that severely limits your options but it'll be worth it. Before you start shopping make yourself a list, your wants and needs. Make sure the bow and equipment checks off your items on that list. Shoot a lot of bows! Throw brand names out of the window and find one that fits you and check out warranty programs as well. I wouldn't shy away from buying used, but it'd have to be a used bow that fits me and one that I can put my paws on and shoot.

Maybe look at the bows that have a wide range of adjustment...that way you can pass it on to a child or friend of you decide it is not for you or want to upgrade

I buy used. New bows are too expensive. Let someone else overpay and then swoop in when the next latest and greatest thing is out that you “have” to have. I saved $400.00 on my last bow that was 2 years old. Still going strong after almost 5 years.

Maybe look at the bows that have a wide range of adjustment...that way you can pass it on to a child or friend of you decide it is not for you or want to upgrade

This is good advice. All of the major manufacturers do a line of bows geared towards youth and beginning adults that offer a huge range of draw weight and length. The nice thing about those bows is that are usually a lower price and you can get them set up as ready to shoot packages. For an example, I bought my wife a PSE Stinger X in a ready to shoot package with 6 arrows for under $400. She loves the bow and it is growing with her nicely. Even the lesser priced grow with you type bows are good bows and not junk even though they are a low price point. You can go in to a shop and buy one of these type bows and get it set up exactly to you and have arrows properly spined to the bow. Many pro shops even offer lessons for beginners. So, for a little more money you can be out the door with a new bow that's set up to you. Buying a used bow it's always recommended to get it tuned and then you need to get it set up to you and your specs, which can cost upwards of $200 or so. So, in reality, buying a used $200 bow isn't saving you money in the long run. Right now is a good time to buy a bow from a dealer because the 2018 bows are out and they are wanting to get rid of the 2017 bows, so you can walk into a really sweet deal a lot of times.

I bought a Bear Cruzer bow for $200 locally off of Craigslist. It's a decent bow for the price, with a wide range of adjustability. My friend's stepdad had an older Mathew's Switchback XT though, and it's in good shape. I haven't bought it from him yet, but it's a great bow and the arrows that he has for it are amazing. I took a doe with it last weekend, and I'm going for one of the many bucks I've seen recently, this weekend. Used is cheaper, but know how to look for a lemon as far as limb status, usage, accessories and their wear and tear. I'm no expert though. Happy Hunting and target practicing!

Do Not take this example as a general rule ! But a few years back, I was wasting a Saturday away with one of my college buddies hitting pawn shops for...whatever. Found a really nice looking Darton bow (cracked limb) for $40. Offered $20, bought for $30. I figured WTH, maybe I could screw/bolt & epoxy it as a 'Project'.

So, I take it home and on a whim call Darton customer service. Turns out it's still under warranty ! $10 shipping and I got it back with a completely new very striking red/gray/black/green laminated riser. Beautiful bow.

Well, it was a 45#-60# bow with only 40% let off. (shows how old it was/I am) but again on a whim I called customer service & got connected to one of their Techs. He told me all I had to do was buy a set of $10 cam inserts to take it down to 60% let off!

So, all in (minus a accessories) I got a darn good whitetail set-up for $50. Still have it. And it still puts dinner on the table just fine.

And, I will repeat, Do NOT take this as a normal example of buying a used bow, but it Can be done, just be careful.

Last edited:
Most proshops have a used section and there you will get the service you will need to be successful. Buy used there, and then buy most accessories from the shop and you should be good to go.

If you know how to tinker with your bow, buying used is a great way to get a few year old bow for pennies on the dollar. I am shooting a used 2008 Bowtech that I paid $300 or so for that was close to a grand when new, and slings an arrow where ever the pin is when the release breaks... Good luck.

Back