What hearing protection in the field you use? I finally damaged my hearing...

A couple things.

If you are a right handed shooter, then always have a plug in your left ear in case you forget to put it in your right ear. This will lesson the damage to your left ear, which often takes a brunt of the blow.

Canal Caps with a plastic band can be placed around your neck and easily put on.

Suppressors will reduce the intensity of the gun blast.

Electronic muffs or plugs are good for duck hunting, but can be a pain for upland or deer hunting. Just make sure the volume isn't too high or you will drive yourself nuts breathing or stepping on grass.

I have used the Soundgear electronic in-ear protection for a couple of seasons.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/store/soundgear-electronic-hearing-protection.html

Less expensive than custom electronic earplugs.

They don't provide enough protection for range days, but are adequate for hunting, where I'm only firing a shot or two. Environmental sounds pass through, but they cut out loud sounds. Biggest issue is fiddly batteries, and they don't fit that well in my ear (tend to work loose and lose sound seal while exercising.)

Recently bought some PELTOR TEP 100 plugs. Haven't used them hunting yet, just hiking.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-TEP-100-T...24&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=peltor+tep-100&psc=1

Claimed sound suppression is greater than the Soundgear, particularly when using the foam Skull Screw plugs. These plugs seem to stay put in my ears better, based on the few training hikes I've taken with them.

Amplification is more noticeable with the Peltors. Walking in crunchy snow is pretty loud. Amplification of background noises and wind seems more distracting than the Soundgear plugs.

Headed out on a Javelina hunt at the end of February. Will bring both and see which I like best.

Would like to get some high end custom molded digital plugs, but can't afford the $3000 price tag right now.

I'm a huge fan of the Walker Razor XV with Blue Tooth. I picked them up for $78 on Amazon. I've had them for about 6 months and they are really comfortable and nice to use. The are noise enhancing for lower decibel sounds but they cut sound for all sounds above a certain decibel point if you are into the electronic ear plugs. They are also Bluetooth so you can answer calls while at the range without having to take your ear pro off. This was a big feature for me since the wife seems to always want to call me while I'm at the range. They are also rechargeable unlike other electronic earplugs in the same category.

Lastly they are a band style that you wear around your neck and the ear plugs themselves are retractable and extend out from the neck piece. This was a huge feature since any of the earmuff style headphones always interfered with my check to stock positioning so this doesn't change that at all. They are like wearing foam earplugs but will all the added features above.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back