2017 Pronghorn

375H&H

I will have to do the write up when I have more time but I wanted to post pics of my dad and I's goats. Not bad for public land in what I would consider one of the worst antelope units in all of Wyoming.

IMG_0481.jpgIMG_0482.jpg

Awesome looking goats! Congratulations! Looking forward to reading about your hunt!

Ok, now for the write up.

My dad and I do a hunt every year for a week or so and this year we decided on antelope as the previous 2 years were mountain elk hunts. When my dad was on his way out to hunt I told him to make sure and take a full week off of work as the unit we are to be hunting is exceptionally poor, but that didn't bother us. We have each killed quite a few goats so just getting out and spending time together was more important in this instance.

Well, the first day out, there were 3 other trucks at the parking spot, no bother. We usually hike further than other people but still not off to a good start. Well about a mile in we see another mug and he is sure to push us as close the boundary fence that he could and not be right on top of us. We high tail it to a glassing knob to get away from the pressure and set up shop. We saw a few does off of the public land and have 1 young buck that we put a stalk on and watch for a bit. He was too small, but still fun to stalk when there isn't much else going on.

We continue down through the ravines and as we crest each one we set up and glass to no avail. About the third crest and we have been glassing for no more than 5 minutes and I tell my dad I see a good buck that we need to kill. I would have never found that buck bedded if it were not for my binos on a tripod. We pack everything up quick and get the game plan on how we are going to approach the buck. We start hiking and get to a point where the buck can no longer see our approach so we go as quick as we can hike. Along the way, we see a MONSTER muley buck at about 80 yards. We are concerned that he and the other deer will spook the antelope, but we continue on our path and the antelope is still bedded.

We drop our packs and begin to crawl. We get to a point over looking the antelope and he is now standing right on the fence line looking directly at us at about 100 yards. A few moments later and he is down and he is even better than we originally thought. He is just a hair over 14" with very high prongs, a nice buck for sure. And an older buck, as the nose is entirely black, indicative of an older animal.

The next day we head out to a different chunk of land that I have never hunted before and start walking. We get about 1.5 miles in and we start glassing and right in front of us is a nice buck bedded and he doesn't even know we are there. I look him over for quite a while before I decide to take him. Seconds later was all it took and he turned a circle and was down. This buck was also nicer than we originally thought with more mass and longer prongs than it appeared. He is a hair over 13" and a buck I am very proud of. After we packed him up and were packing out another buck ran right to where I shot mine, nearly the same size, and once he saw the blood, took off running. But that buck put the spot in my bank as a good place to sit and wait for the antelope to come off of a nearby field.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I am far too eager for next hunting season already.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back