2017 Last Minute Wyoming Cow Elk

Jay
That is borderline child neglect and I like it! Fill that tag and have him help packing it out while you sit in the car:hump: Tell him Happy birthday from all of us!

Kirk and Myrtie

Well, Wyoming chewed me up and spit me out today! Headed out before daylight to the spot we found the tracks yesterday. I got to the parking area on top of the mountain well before daylight and as I was getting my pack together, I noticed some fog rolling in. By the time I had my pack on, I couldn't see 30 feet with my headlight. So, I drove back down the mountain to my backup plan. By the time I got there, it was good daylight and the fog had rolled in there as well. I sat in the car for a few minutes waiting for it to clear when I noticed blue skies shining on top of the mountain. So, I drove back up there only to find it was fogged out again. I waited an hour or so for it to clear and decided just to walk around and see if there was any fresh sign. I did find a lone set of tracks that had not been there yesterday. I followed them until they dumped off into a deep canyon. The fog lifted just enough for me to see the track through my binos going over the opposite hillside. I glasses for a while but, I didn't do much good. The fog was just too thick.

I headed back to the hotel for some breakfast and then we went to check out a different area. Unfortunately, the roads were too much for our SUV and we couldn't make it very far.

This afternoon, I headed back up the mountain. When I got out of the SUV, the wind almost knocked me down. Determined to get in a hunt, I shouldered my pack, leaned into the wind, and headed out to find a good glassing spot. About a mile from the road, I found a spot where I could see ALOT of territory. I sat down on a rock and started glassing the hillsides. I had no idea the wind could blow that hard when there wasn't a hurricane warning in effect! I glassed from 2:30 until the end of legal shooting light with only a few rabbits and some amazing views to show for my efforts.

IMG_20171228_161500794.jpg

To be honest, I was/am totally unprepared for the cold/wind/snow. I've duck hunted a few times when it was in the teens and deer hunted in single digits but, this is a whole new level of cold. My teeth literally chattered the entire time I was glassing this afternoon and I had on my warmest clothes. After I lose a few more pounds, I see some Sitka in my future. On a positive note, I am really proud of myself and the effort I have put in exercising the past year and a half. I was at about 7000 feet and hiked some pretty good hills today and, while I did start breathing hard, I didn't feel like I was gasping for air.

Tomorrow looks to be cold and windy again so, we'll see how it goes.

Glassing from 2:30 until dusk in WY weather is no easy task. If I can sit still for 30 minutes, I'm really doing something.

Well, Wyoming chewed me up and spit me out today! Headed out before daylight to the spot we found the tracks yesterday. I got to the parking area on top of the mountain well before daylight and as I was getting my pack together, I noticed some fog rolling in. By the time I had my pack on, I couldn't see 30 feet with my headlight. So, I drove back down the mountain to my backup plan. By the time I got there, it was good daylight and the fog had rolled in there as well. I sat in the car for a few minutes waiting for it to clear when I noticed blue skies shining on top of the mountain. So, I drove back up there only to find it was fogged out again. I waited an hour or so for it to clear and decided just to walk around and see if there was any fresh sign. I did find a lone set of tracks that had not been there yesterday. I followed them until they dumped off into a deep canyon. The fog lifted just enough for me to see the track through my binos going over the opposite hillside. I glasses for a while but, I didn't do much good. The fog was just too thick.

I headed back to the hotel for some breakfast and then we went to check out a different area. Unfortunately, the roads were too much for our SUV and we couldn't make it very far.

This afternoon, I headed back up the mountain. When I got out of the SUV, the wind almost knocked me down. Determined to get in a hunt, I shouldered my pack, leaned into the wind, and headed out to find a good glassing spot. About a mile from the road, I found a spot where I could see ALOT of territory. I sat down on a rock and started glassing the hillsides. I had no idea the wind could blow that hard when there wasn't a hurricane warning in effect! I glassed from 2:30 until the end of legal shooting light with only a few rabbits and some amazing views to show for my efforts.

View attachment 78447

To be honest, I was/am totally unprepared for the cold/wind/snow. I've duck hunted a few times when it was in the teens and deer hunted in single digits but, this is a whole new level of cold. My teeth literally chattered the entire time I was glassing this afternoon and I had on my warmest clothes. After I lose a few more pounds, I see some Sitka in my future. On a positive note, I am really proud of myself and the effort I have put in exercising the past year and a half. I was at about 7000 feet and hiked some pretty good hills today and, while I did start breathing hard, I didn't feel like I was gasping for air.

Tomorrow looks to be cold and windy again so, we'll see how it goes.

Last December I hunted w a great guy and hunter. Getting out of the tent on a 10 degree, breezy morning he told me, "no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Tag sammy for my Dec. cow hunt this year, but I was comfortable every day. Good luck in filling the freezer.

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but try the best you can to find glassing spots out of the wind. Even if you can get somewhere where the wind is knocked down even 10mph, it'll make a huge difference. Get downwind of some timber or on the downwind side of a steep hill or even a cliff. As I found out this year also, glassing for hours in a steady 50mph wind just isn't realistic.

Your PM box is full, but you need to head to the Shirley Basin HMA if you’re still hunting. I saw 200 in there yesterday and killed one. Text message the Game and Fish’s Hunt management coordinator for unit 7 and she’ll help you get in them when she’s in cell range. Her name is Mariah and her work cell is 30seven-399-1018.

Your PM box is full, but you need to head to the Shirley Basin HMA if you’re still hunting. I saw 200 in there yesterday and killed one. Text message the Game and Fish’s Hunt management coordinator for unit 7 and she’ll help you get in them when she’s in cell range. Her name is Mariah and her work cell is 30seven-399-1018.

Great info! what this site represents right here, hunters helping hunters!
Matt

First, I want to say thank you to everyone here that offered tips, advice, intel, and encouragement. Had it not been for the support I received from this site, chances are, I would not have even attempted this trip.

Second, I have never been one to admit defeat easily but, Wyoming beat me!

Friday morning, I woke up to the sound of the wind howling through the air conditioner but, it didn't sound any worse than it had on Thursday afternoon. I headed back up to my parking spot on top of the mountain and when I turned into the spot, I realized I had made a mistake! What had been 4 inches of snow the evening before had turned into at least a foot of snow and the SUV was immediately stuck. I opened the door to see what was holding me and was hit by a gust of wind that felt like a freight train. I managed to get the door open and, using the shovel I had taken on the advice of several forum members cleared enough of the snow to be able to back out. I got my pack and rifle out of the back of the SUV and headed for my glassing spot. By the time I got up there, the wind was so strong (I later found out there were 65+ mph gusts) i couldn't hold the binoculars steady enough to glass. So, I headed back to the SUV in hopes of driving around to the other side of the property and finding a glassing spot out of the wind. I hadn't made it far on the road before the county maintenance ended and the road was covered in snow...deep snow. Deep enough I had to dig the SUV out again. Finally, I headed back down to the bottom of the mountain in an attempt to salvage the morning. The wind was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I made it about 75 yards across the open plain at the base of the mountain before I couldn't take it anymore. I turned around and made my way back to the warmth and stillness of the SUV.

On the way back to the hotel, I called my wife to let her know I was returning. After some discussion about the increasing wind and possibility of more snow in the forecast for Saturday, we decided to cut our losses and head for warmer climes. By the time I got back to the hotel, she had most of our stuff packed and we were on the road south in short order. We have been discussing a trip to Carlsbad Caverns for a couple years. We figured since we were already that for west, we would just head down there and check that off the list. The drive down I-25 through Colorado was amazing with the plains on our left and the mountains on our right.

We spent the night in Roswell with the aliens and got an early start to Carlsbad Caverns Saturday morning. We had a great time at the caverns! Here are a couple pics...

IMG_8277.jpg

IMG_8329.jpg

26169085_10210746069230873_5604683044141544243_n.jpg

We left for Florida around 3:30 pm and, after a few stops and a short nap in Louisiana, made it home 24 hours later. All in all, we had an amazing trip and made some great memories! I learned more in my 2 days elk hunting than I could have in a year of reading and watching videos. Thanks for following along!!!!

Glad everyone made it back home safely, better luck next time and enjoy the weather down south!

Nothing beats a Christmas road trip with the family, even if Wyoming weather chews you up and spits you back out. Happy new year!

Sounds like you had a great family trip. And like you said, you learned a ton and can use that knowledge next time!

Good job! You should be proud. What you tried to do isn’t easy. I hope you keep after it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back