Trump administration renews mining leases near Minnesota wilderness area

mfb99

Our modern day TR, Ryan Zinke (AKA the poser/swamp creature) has decided it is a great idea to renew mining leases for a Chilean mining company. I guess this is his idea of MAGA…….

From the Washington Post:

By Juliet Eilperin December 23 at 10:57 AM

A canoer paddles on one of the many waterways in Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. The Trump administration has agreed to renew two mining leases near the area. (Dave Freeman)

The Trump administration moved Friday to renew leases for a copper and nickel mining operation on the border of Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, reversing a decision made in the final month of Barack Obama’s tenure in office.

The action, made public Friday in an Interior Department legal decision, marks a win for the Chilean mining firm belonging to the family of billionaire Andronico Luksic, who rents a home to Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, in Washington.

The department and U.S. Forest Service had decided a year ago not to renew the leases while federal officials launched a formal review of the operation’s environmental impact. Reversing that outcome has been the subject of intense lobbying since President Trump took office. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke met with proponents of Twin Metals Minnesota, a subsidiary of the Chilean mining giant Antofagasta PLC, shortly after taking office.

The two expired leases, which span 4,800 acres and date to 1966, lie on the southwest border of the 1.1 million-acre wilderness area. The federal government had been studying whether all mining activities in 234,000 acres abutting the wilderness should be barred for the next 20 years.

The 19-page decision issued Friday by Interior Principal Deputy Solicitor Daniel Jorjani said the previous administration’s order “improperly interpreted the leases and is withdrawn.” Twin Metals Minnesota, he wrote, has a “non-discretionary right to a third renewal.”

Rather than announcing the decision in a release, aides from Interior’s solicitor office notified Minnesota House Speaker Kurt Daudt (R), who made the news public. “It’s refreshing to have an administration that understands the importance of mining to Minnesota — and the entire United States,” Daudt said in a statement.

The mining operation is backed by many state Republicans and at least one Democrat, Rep. Rick Nolan (Minn.), but is opposed by Gov. Mark Dayton (D) and the state’s two U.S. senators.

As recently as Thursday, Zinke had told Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.) that he was committed to protecting the area. Late Friday, McCollum accused Zinke of deliberately misleading her in their latest call.

“He reiterated to me directly just how precious the waters of the BWCA are and the need for ongoing environmental study,” McCollum said in a statement. “Twenty-four hours later, he broke his word and issued mining leases footsteps from the BWCA to a foreign-owned mining company. Clearly, the numerous assurances I received from Secretary Zinke about protecting the BWCA were worthless and deceitful.”

Doug Niemela, national campaign manager for the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters, said in a statement that the move ran contrary to the will of Minnesota residents. During last year’s public comment period, more than 74,000 people urged the Forest Service to deny the leases’ renewal.

“The Interior Department’s decision is a big fat Christmas gift for a giant foreign mining corporation willing to do anything to exploit the watershed of Minnesota’s crown jewel wilderness,” Niemela said. “It runs contrary to fact, contrary to the law, and contrary to the views of Minnesota voters who love the Boundary Waters and rely on it for thousands of jobs, world-class hunting and fishing, and some of the cleanest water on Earth. We plan to challenge this illegal decision in court.”

Luksic — who has tweeted that there is no connection between Antofagasta’s business and his real estate relationship with Ivanka Trump and Kushner — rents the couple a six-bedroom home he owns in the affluent Kalorama neighborhood. The two serve as advisers to the president.

A White House official said in an email Saturday that the couple were “not aware of the situation, had nothing to do with it and have never met their landlord.”

Fight back against the assault on OUR Public Lands by Zinke and the DJT administration, call your congressional leaders: 202-224-3121

Cheers,

Mark

Ye Shall Be Free To Roam…..

Not sure what problem you have with the first sentence. People keep saying Ryan Zinke was better than the alternatives. At this point, however, when it comes to conservation of fish and wildlife habitat, I am not sure how much worse it can really be? We are really going backwards in regards to conservation in this country and Zinke is a decision maker and also one who loudly proclaimed he was like TR. He is nothing like TR and it is time to start holding his feet to the fire if you ask me. Also nothing wrong with the last sentence, it is encouraging people to take action.

Like it or not Topgun actions speak louder than words. Zinke has been a disaster. As someone who lives near the Boundary Waters, this is the final nail in the coffin in my book

There quite likely is more, but i know of 4 copper projects in this country in the preliminary stages.

Black butte, Pebble, Resolution and now this one.
None of these projects should be allowed to go forward IF they’ll pollute Bristol, the Smith, BWCA etc , but copper isn’t becoming less needed anytime soon.

The demands for alternative ‘green’ energy get louder. From the same crowd is opposition to these projects. All of them. No matter what the environmental plan or risk is, they’ll oppose. But copper is essential to many things, alternative energy being one.

So I ask, where SPECIFICALLY, name the ore body that copper should come from? Demands for copper are projected to rise considerably in the coming years. Where should it come from?

Opposition without a solution or an alternative is just a whine.

Last edited:
There quite likely is more, but i know of 4 copper projects in this country in the preliminary stages.

Black butte, Pebble, Resolution and now this one.
None of these projects should be allowed to go forward IF they’ll pollute Bristol, the Smith, BWCA etc , but copper isn’t becoming less needed anytime soon.

The demands for alternative ‘green’ energy get louder. From the same crowd is opposition to these projects. All of them. No matter what the environmental plan or risk is, they’ll oppose. But copper is essential to many things, alternative energy being one.

So I ask, where SPECIFICALLY, name the ore body that copper should come from? Demands for copper are projected to rise considerably in the coming years. Where should it come from?

Opposition without a solution or an alternative is just a whine.

Looks to me like the US could stop exporting scrap, for a start.

Also, unless I'm reading the data wrong, US demand for copper is not rising, but has declined significantly between 1996-2016...very significantly.

https://www.copper.org/resources/market_data/pdfs/annual_data.pdf

It also looks to me like the ore body that copper should come from is probably from Arizona or we could increase imports (again trusting the data).

Last edited:
Looks to me like the US could stop exporting scrap, for a start.

Also, unless I'm reading the data wrong, US demand for copper is not rising, but has declined significantly between 1996-2016...very significantly.

https://www.copper.org/resources/market_data/pdfs/annual_data.pdf

It also looks to me like the ore body that copper should come from is probably from Arizona or we could increase imports (again trusting the data).

In the coming years there is predicted ( of course predictions can be wrong) to be an increasing supply deficit in the global copper supply.

Arizona. That’s where Resolution is at. Thanks for answering the question.

There’s a huge open pit mine (7k acres ~ 10 sq miles) in the foothills of Boise that was dead but is now moving forward under the new DOI. It’s public land I hunted several times this fall. Similarly, a timber recovery project was fast tracked this fall that clodes 49k acres to sportsmen for 18 months. I’m in favor of logging but would appreciate if proper procedures were followed.

The flood gates have opened under the new DOI to exploit resources for maximum profits.

Not sure what problem you have with the first sentence. People keep saying Ryan Zinke was better than the alternatives. At this point, however, when it comes to conservation of fish and wildlife habitat, I am not sure how much worse it can really be? We are really going backwards in regards to conservation in this country and Zinke is a decision maker and also one who loudly proclaimed he was like TR. He is nothing like TR and it is time to start holding his feet to the fire if you ask me. Also nothing wrong with the last sentence, it is encouraging people to take action.

Like it or not Topgun actions speak louder than words. Zinke has been a disaster. As someone who lives near the Boundary Waters, this is the final nail in the coffin in my book

Randy asked the guy to knock off the stuff like the "AKA" remark and other political statements and just post the essential stuff. I'm not a lover of any of the politicians in DC and beyond because IMHO the biggest share of them are out for themselves and not for the good of America and it's citizens! You don't really think that Zinke is making decisions like this on his own do you? I can just about guarantee it's coming from DC and he's just a puppet dancing to the head master that appointed him!

There’s a huge open pit mine (7k acres ~ 10 sq miles) in the foothills of Boise that was dead but is now moving forward under the new DOI. It’s public land I hunted several times this fall. Similarly, a timber recovery project was fast tracked this fall that clodes 49k acres to sportsmen for 18 months. I’m in favor of logging but would appreciate if proper procedures were followed.

The flood gates have opened under the new DOI to exploit resources for maximum profits.

This sounds like the logging project you are talking about.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/boise/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD557383

USFS is not administered by DOI.

Open pit mine proposal is also on USFS land. Meetings were held in December to comment on it. Did you go to any of these?

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/bois...ce-plans-public-meetings-idaho-open-pit-mine/

Last edited:

The USFS is under the Dept of Agriculture, not Interior. The closure of the area to be logged is through 2018, not for 18 months like you stated, and IMHO closing it for the safety of the public was the right way to go even if it eliminates hunting for one season. It is also a relatively small area in the scheme of things compared to the overall acreage of that forest.

I bet the people who work at that mine in Minnesota are grateful for a the lease being renewed. All those who don't use any mined materials can now bash me.

The USFS is under the Dept of Agriculture, not Interior. The closure of the area to be logged is through 2018, not for 18 months like you stated, and IMHO closing it for the safety of the public was the right way to go even if it eliminates hunting for one season. It is also a relatively small area in the scheme of things compared to the overall acreage of that forest.

August 2017 to December 2018 is close to 18 months, but Boise Forest Service also stated this......

"The total salvage timber area is about 10,000 acres within the 49,000 acre closure. The larger closure area was designed to include all areas of active logging and most of the associated road corridors needed to transport the timber from the sale areas. As logging is complete, the closure area and ending date are expected to be reduced over time."

It's also a post fire timber sale so fast tracking the work is important since the value of fire killed timber deteriorates quickly.

You ever canoed for a week in the BWCA, portaging all your gear from lake to lake, catching big smallies, camping at a different isolated rocky lonesome sight each night, falling asleep to the sound of loons calling, waking up to the mist on the lake in dead silence.....
You ever canoed upstream in a beautiful River like the Kawishiwi........
You ever spent Christmas Day in a dead silent snow fall on the ice a frozen lake like Basswood, hoping to pull a nice lake trout through the hole.....
I have. Spending years in MN's Arrowhead leaves indelible memories of a truly unique piece ground- no other like it in America's lower 48.

These things are all intricately tied to the watersheds. Watersheds that this proposal has the ability to negatively impact. Study a map of the country, note the drainage.

Yeah, the WAPO has the left wing slant to things. Twin Metals info release(s) gives their slant.
If you grew up in the Arrowhead of MN, as I did, you may have just a genuine concern for a really cool place.

Yeah, I drive a truck full of copper wiring. I guess I just think it's a little more complex than that.......

Those who would argue that because I drive a vehicle which burns gas, I should support drilling for oil on the Blacktail Plateau in Yellowstone National Park or such other places where it exists are folks IMO who are missing a logic chip and possess a skewed sense of reasoning ... but heavy on unfunny sarcasm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back