Finding an accurate load.

Sometimes a gun just doesn't want to shoot. A buddy has a Sako .300 Win Mag. The absolute only factory load that would ever shoot was the Winchester Fail Safe in a 180. He tried virtually every boat tail bullet he could lay his hands on to reload and nothing. He could get a Nosler Partition to shoot about an inch but that was the best the gun would do and nothing better with any other flat base bullets. He finally had it re-barreled and now it'll shoot pretty much anything he loads into it.

Some of those light weight rifles with 22 inch barrels are great guns to carry and swing into the shoulder quick.
The magnums are more than a handful to shoot well in a set up like that though.
I suspect that is the more likely culprit for accuracy trouble.
Some guys can still shoot em fine. Not me.
I like some weight in my mag rifles.

Just a suggestion. Maybe try a 165gr bullet. Or even a 200gr bullet. Also what powder are you loading?

Rifle effect accuracy the most, and that's where I start.

First thing I do is shoot some blue box federals, if it shoots those well, I figure the rifle doesn't need much attention and I should be able to find a load pretty easily.

If a rifle doesn't like blue box, in my experience, it's got some issues that need looking into before it gets fed any hand loads.

Ha! that's the same thing I do. LOL

I have been getting a lot of good info from the net. I have had no problems finding a load for my 308 which i have been loading for many years. i only seem to have problems with my SAKO 300s . this is the second one that dosn't shoot well and trying not to go broke finding something it shoots well.

Does sound like bedding to me now. I've only had one rifle that bedding couldn't fix. The rest, all but three, were good shooting when I got them but better after being bedded. Look for the bind in the action and bed the recoil lug then try it again. I've never done it but pillar bedding might be the way to go. Most poor shooting rifle's end up being fixed with just a small tweek here and there.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back