7-08 for elk rifle?

I want a 7mm-HT SO BAD. Just don't need one. My wife is pregnant so maybe I can justify it for my future kids???

I think what you need is a 7x57. Shoot the same bullet's as the 7mm08 about the same speed and kill any elk you can hit with it. But, this is important, you won't have to hang your head when someone ask's what your shooting! :)

I think what you need is a 7x57. Shoot the same bullet's as the 7mm08 about the same speed and kill any elk you can hit with it. But, this is important, you won't have to hang your head when someone ask's what your shooting! :)

I like to think of the 7x57 as a rough draft of the 7mm-08. :cool:

Thanks guys
Appreciate the feedback
Even the condescending commits lol!
I know Newburg shoots one pretty well

Better than 6.5 CM. Equal to 308. Not as good as 270, 30.06, magnums. For elk @ ranges past 250 yds w factory bonded, partition and mono ammo, as OP said. Shot placement matters far more than caliber.

What make's it better than the 6.5CM, equal to the 308. But not as good as the 270 or 30-06 magnums?

What make's it better than the 6.5CM, equal to the 308. But not as good as the 270 or 30-06 magnums?

The general trend I described favors larger diameter bullets moving @ faster velocities. Case size increases in this trend, except 7HT uses the same case capacity as 308,"equal" w slightly larger diameter bullets in 30 cal. Inside 250 yards, give or take, an accurate double-lung shot by any of these and larger calibers is likely to terminate your elk. Beyond 250 is where bullet penetration really varies on elk-size game, depending on bullet mass and velocity plus bullet construction. So a heavier bullet moving faster is better for elk IME.

Santa put me on board the 7mm08 train this Christmas with a Sako Finnlight. And yes, I plan to shoot elk and most everything else that Montana offers with it.

Santa put me on board the 7mm08 train this Christmas with a Sako Finnlight. And yes, I plan to shoot elk and most everything else that Montana offers with it.

Nice! I keep waiting for a Santa rifle, but it hasn't happened yet. Clearly you've been living right. Enjoy!

I think I heard somewhere that a guy called Big Fin has killed lots of critters with a 7-08, at ranges better than 200 yards, and they all died. But there's no proof to back it up... Or is there?

I think I heard somewhere that a guy called Big Fin has killed lots of critters with a 7-08, at ranges better than 200 yards, and they all died. But there's no proof to back it up... Or is there?

Actually, everyone knows that BF will edit the footage to make it LOOK like he used a 7mm-08 but the actual kill is done with a 300 win mag at the very least. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back