Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

7-08 for elk rifle?

pumatom

Looking for an elk and deer rifle
Don't want to get a big mag cartridge
Is the 7-08 a reliable gun for Western hunting at various distances ??
With factory ammo
Thanks

the 7mm-08 is perfectly acceptable elk round with proper bullet and shot placement

Yep it'll work. End of story. No need to do the monthly debate on this one.

No, it's a overhyped, underpowered, soon-to-be-obsolete cartridge.
I would definitely go with something else.
Hopefully some on here can help.

No, it's a overhyped, underpowered, soon-to-be-obsolete cartridge.
I would definitely go with something else.
Hopefully some on here can help.

You are no help. The 7-08 has been gone over up and down and sideways here. Every bullet, every powder in damn near every rifle chambered such. Great cartridge. I don't have interest in one however. Do you? mtmuley

Better than 6.5 CM. Equal to 308. Not as good as 270, 30.06, magnums. For elk @ ranges past 250 yds w factory bonded, partition and mono ammo, as OP said. Shot placement matters far more than caliber.

The bullet is the only part of the cartridge the elk sees. I use a 7 mag, but the only difference there is more velocity, which is worth maybe 150 yards extra range. Check the ballistics tables. Also hornady superformance will generally give you an extra 100 fps or so.

Good luck.

7mm-08 is more than adequate for elk! Accurate, reliable and deadly. Wife killed a bull here two years back with her 7mm-08. Dropped where he stood... I ranged him at 315yards. No need for magnum cartridges unless you are gonna hunt at ranges over 450. Hell, 440yards is a quarter mile. Good luck with your decision. The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back