Caribou Gear Tarp

In or out on WY moose and sheep points?

Why not apply for ID cow this year? Better odds, no need to accumulate points. You can hunt bull afterwards.

Because I have an account set up to save up for the tag, so I don't have the tag money this year. I'm saving up over a couple of years. Besides, I probably won't do any strenuous hunting next year after surgeries, so in 2 years I'll probably start.

You're gonna wait 7 years minimum and be out of pocket well over $2000 for the license alone for a cow moose?

I like moose meat, and I like hunting, so why not hunt a cow moose while putting in for bulls in Idaho? See which I get first.:cool: I figure if I can draw a bull or cow in Idaho in 2 or 3 years, and then a cow in Wyoming in 4 or 5, and then my wife can get a moose of some sort a couple years after that, then I have constant moose meat in the freezer. :) Besides, it looks like I'd be out over $2000 for a cow in Idaho as well, unless I'm not seeing something right.

Last edited:
I like moose meat, and I like hunting, so why not hunt a cow moose while putting in for bulls in Idaho? See which I get first.:cool: I figure if I can draw a bull or cow in Idaho in 2 or 3 years, and then a cow in Wyoming in 4 or 5, and then my wife can get a moose of some sort a couple years after that, then I have constant moose meat in the freezer. :) Besides, it looks like I'd be out over $2000 for a cow in Idaho as well, unless I'm not seeing something right.

um how do you figure that? most NR moose tags in Idaho are at best 10% odds. there are residents that took 10+ years to draw a bull tag in the decent units. I mean its possible but odds are not in your favor. I mean hell its possible you never draw in Idaho too.

Last edited:
Did you miss the IF in my post? According to draw statistics there are units with up to 75% draw odds for a NR. They may not be good units, but I'm willing to work. Sure, I might not draw in 2 or 3 years, but I possibly could. I know someone who drew her 1st year applying with less than 1% odds. Don't piss on my leg, dude...I'm dreaming here :cool:

You can buy a half beef, fully processed for less than those cow moose licenses, and argue the fact that moose is not better than beef. And the hunting experience may rival that of a mule deer doe on an alfalfa field. For that kind of money and willingness to wait, you might want find an Alberta Canadian moose hunt, fully guided, for a bull.

Because I have an account set up to save up for the tag, so I don't have the tag money this year. I'm saving up over a couple of years. Besides, I probably won't do any strenuous hunting next year after surgeries, so in 2 years I'll probably start.

Aren’t you a disabled veteran? If you are, see if you qualify at 40%. ID gives 5 moose tags to DAVs. If you think you might meet the requirements, I’ll help you find a nonprofit conservation. I’m the Treasurer of one (never done this, however) or we can find another that’s done it before.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/licenses/disPrograms.prdf

Last edited:
You cant apply in the random without buying a point for moose or sheep...you get a point whether you want one or not when you actually apply.

I don't know what I would do if I were a NR with less than 10 points...probably keep applying for moose and bail on sheep. I would take the 150 I was going to spend on a point or a slight chance of a random tag and buy raffle tags for sheep (probably in another state).

Thanks Buzz. I forgot about that. Now I'll have to rethink my strategy...

At 52, I dropped out of Moose this year with 7 points. The upcoming increased cost and age didn't register as worth the contribution to me. Still want to do a moose hunt, may just cross the border and get it done.

I drew a moose tag in Idaho in 2014. For $150 a point you can get in the in Idaho game with much better odds...

I drew a moose tag in Idaho in 2014. For $150 a point you can get in the in Idaho game with much better odds...

Yea... Especially if a guy wanted to get an OTC elk tag and was going to buy the license anyways, that would be a much better idea. Sounds like the Idaho odds aren't nearly as good as they look on paper but still not too bad.

Isn't Idaho changing their draw system this year though? Like you maybe don't have to front the tag fee anymore?

Buzz- Do you think it's inevitable at some point that sheep and moose tags will go to a 90/10 split? I can't blame residents for wanting that and I would honestly expect that to happen at some point. Unless the outfitters are really that powerful to keep it the split how it is now.

Aren’t you a disabled veteran? If you are, see if you qualify at 40%. ID gives 5 moose tags to DAVs. If you think you might meet the requirements, I’ll help you find a nonprofit conservation. I’m the Treasurer of one (never done this, however) or we can find another that’s done it before.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/licenses/disPrograms.prdf

Thanks! I'm 100% through the VA. I talked to a lady at F&G and walked me through to get my DAV licensing.

You can buy a half beef, fully processed for less than those cow moose licenses, and argue the fact that moose is not better than beef. And the hunting experience may rival that of a mule deer doe on an alfalfa field. For that kind of money and willingness to wait, you might want find an Alberta Canadian moose hunt, fully guided, for a bull.

If the money is coming out of my pocket and I'm willing to wait...shouldn't it be my decision? :W:

Oh it is. I just was trying to shine some light on it for you. It's like a saving with Geico insurance commercial.

Oh it is. I just was trying to shine some light on it for you. It's like a saving with Geico insurance commercial.

I've actually thought about going to NFL for a moose hunt. I'd drive out and would go past most of my family and a lot of my friends along the way. But, the moose in NFL aren't any bigger than they are in Idaho, so I can save myself a few grand. Alaska is another option if I can find a hunt I don't have to fly in. There's lots of choices and options, but a lot of it comes down to money and the thought that I could do a couple of moose hunts for the cost of a single one and have moose meat in my freezer for a long time. Decisions decisions....

Yea... Especially if a guy wanted to get an OTC elk tag and was going to buy the license anyways, that would be a much better idea. Sounds like the Idaho odds aren't nearly as good as they look on paper but still not too bad.

Isn't Idaho changing their draw system this year though? Like you maybe don't have to front the tag fee anymore?

I think anyone who applies in Idaho should do their homework. Applying in the toughest draw unit as a non resident is a bad idea.

I just turned 35 and I am sitting on 8 sheep points. I guess I have 10 months to think about it, but I'm leaning towards using the money on raffles.

Thanks! I'm 100% through the VA. I talked to a lady at F&G and walked me through to get my DAV licensing.

John, let me know if I can help. I can work the nonprofit org side for you and anything else you need. I’m at ground zero in Boise and I know most of IDFG officials.

I hoe you get a tag!

Bryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back