Caribou Gear Tarp

In or out on WY moose and sheep points?

Flatrock

Anybody bailing on the WY moose and sheep points game now that it's $150 a point? I'm 33 and am at 8 for sheep and 7 for moose. Feel like it's kind of silly to continue for at least moose. Probably will stay the course on sheep. I feel like it's inevitable though that the NR split will go to 90/10 and that would be a dagger. I'm not going to just do points only every year though and will actually apply for a random tag. If a guy was going to do points only for 30 years, then I think it would be completely pointless.

I am out on both, but with only a couple points in both. I would rather put those dollars into supertags.

I am done applying for sheep points as well. I am 37 and with only 7 points, I will never draw a sheep tag on points. I will probably apply in the future with the hope of getting lucky in the random draw.

Since I will never draw a preference point tag for either species, I am not paying the new costs for points. Just not worth it.

With moose like this walking through camp why would you bail?

View attachment 78318

Because just looking at them isn't worth that much to some. I have 13 points for moose, so I have to stay. I walked away from UT when I had 10 and they made it so anyone could apply for all species.

Last edited:
Bailing would be the smart choice. It depends on whether or not dreaming about moose hunting is worth the yearly cost because that's probably all you'll be doing. You never know, though. The better choice would probably be to save that money and do a self guided hunt in NW Ontario. I'm so glad I didn't get in the moose or sheep game in Wyoming.

I'm bailing. I only have a couple points each. bailing on bison after that tag fee increase. will stay in for antelope, deer. I can draw moose and mountain goats in Idaho as a resident.

I'm out. I'll spend my money in another state with better odds. I am also looking to cashout my elk, deer and pronghorn in the next couple of years.

I'm in for sheep with 18 points but only sitting on 5 moose points since I drew the tag once already. I'll probably bail on moose points and just keep putting in and hoping for the random tag. I've got a 13 and 11 year old(soon to be 12) and we're going with elk, deer, and antelope but I'm not starting them on the moose and sheep points.

I'm sticking it out, I have 12 points for moose - I do think they should at least send you a tee shirt that says "I bought a moose preference point and all I got was this lousy tee shirt"

I drew moose in 2000, then bailed on the sheep. Too rich for me. Good luck to all those in for the long haul.

I'm in for sheep with 18 points but only sitting on 5 moose points since I drew the tag once already. I'll probably bail on moose points and just keep putting in and hoping for the random tag. I've got a 13 and 11 year old(soon to be 12) and we're going with elk, deer, and antelope but I'm not starting them on the moose and sheep points.

You cant apply in the random without buying a point for moose or sheep...you get a point whether you want one or not when you actually apply.

I don't know what I would do if I were a NR with less than 10 points...probably keep applying for moose and bail on sheep. I would take the 150 I was going to spend on a point or a slight chance of a random tag and buy raffle tags for sheep (probably in another state).

I'm banking points for a cow moose. The unit I wanted went from 5 points last year to 7 points this year. I figured a lot of people dumped points before the price increase, so I figure it will come back down or settle out in a few years. I'm still a couple of years from drawing, but I'll still keep getting my points. I really want to hunt a moose, even if it's just a cow, and to me it's worth the money for the experience I really want to have. If I was only 3 points in for a bull I'd probably bail being 45 years old and not probably going to draw in my healthy lifetime. But, I want a moose, and my wife is cool with the tag money, so I will shoot for a cow and play my odds in Idaho for a bull.

I'm banking points for a cow moose. The unit I wanted went from 5 points last year to 7 points this year. I figured a lot of people dumped points before the price increase, so I figure it will come back down or settle out in a few years. I'm still a couple of years from drawing, but I'll still keep getting my points. I really want to hunt a moose, even if it's just a cow, and to me it's worth the money for the experience I really want to have. If I was only 3 points in for a bull I'd probably bail being 45 years old and not probably going to draw in my healthy lifetime. But, I want a moose, and my wife is cool with the tag money, so I will shoot for a cow and play my odds in Idaho for a bull.

Why not apply for ID cow this year? Better odds, no need to accumulate points. You can hunt bull afterwards.

I gave up on moose and sheep points in Wyoming about 10 years ago after accruing maybe 2 or 3 points each. I finally did the math and realized I didn't want to play that game. Even if one could draw in 30 years, there is no guarantee you could actually physically hunt; hell might be dead. I just setup a separate savings account and have $50 each paycheck auto deposited and I'll use that for a moose and or sheep hunt in Canada. Already have enough for a moose hunt. If I die before I go then maybe my son can go in my place or use the money for house down payment, education ,etc..

You're gonna wait 7 years minimum and be out of pocket well over $2000 for the license alone for a cow moose?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back