I need a new sleeping bag

stan_bailey02

I need a new sleeping bag, any thoughts on the Big Agnes Buffalo Park 40deg bag. I'll use it mostly during in September bow hunting elk.

I would say you need a 20f bag. I have an older North Face syn 20f bag that works well but a 40f is truly a warm weather bag IMO.

For me in the Colorado high country my 15 degree bag is often not warm enough. I end up sleeping in heavy weight fleece tops and bottoms more often than not. Next bag I get is going to be a 0 degree. I'd rather vent than be cold!

For me in the Colorado high country my 15 degree bag is often not warm enough. I end up sleeping in heavy weight fleece tops and bottoms more often than not. Next bag I get is going to be a 0 degree. I'd rather vent than be cold!

I second that only thing with the 0 degree bag is that it usually comes with a little bit more weight but I would say it's definitely worth it if it's cold. Don't know if you're trying to go ultralight or anything but just thought I'd throw it out there. A 20 degree bag with a liner that you can choose to bring or leave is also another option. Same probably same weight as a 0 degree bag but more options. I personally use a 20F down bag. Like John said we need a little more details to help you out.

A 40 degree bag is more for camping in Moab in the summer. The temperature ratings are the coldest it can be with you uncomfortably making it through the night. Typically add 10 degrees to be in the lowest comfortable temp... so essentially if it gets colder than 50 you will probably be cold. I have been on the continental divide in August and had it hit 20 degrees. I would never do a fall hunt in the Rockies with anything less than a 20 degree bag.

If you are sleeping in a wall tent with a stove that bag would be fine.

biganges.PNG

Marmot Helium. For me it’s comfortable down to its 15 degree rating with no base layers. Light and roomy, too.

Marmot line with atomic names are great but expensive. I like DriDown bags which retain some loft if wet. I have one by Sierra Designs. I also like 20F for a 3 season bag.

Am I the only one that uses a -40 degree bag? My dad found a sale on the North face dark star and bought 4, so I wasnt about to pass up a free bag of that caliber.

Thanks for everyones input. I usually hunt from a base camp in a tent or old trailer, neither of which has heat. I've been using two cheep bags and I'm tired of freezing when it gets down in to the 20's and 30's. I want to buy one good bag and add a liner (for added warmth and protect the bag elk hunting funk) and not be cold. It looks like I'll need a 20 to 30deg bag.

Look at the Army modular sleeping bag system. You can use all of the pieces together in cold weather and be good -0, or use pieces as needed for warmer temperatures.

I picked up a 15 degree Sierra Designs Mobile mummy and have been SUPER happy. I used it in singe digit temps (I carry a small thermometer) this hunting season and was very comfortable. I would also like to try Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed (really cool design and featuers). I didnt have experience with Sierra Designs before buying the bag, but the reviews were very positive so I took the plundge. So far I have been really happy with the featuers, weight and quality. I pasted in links below to both bags mentioned.

Mobile Mummy
https://sierradesigns.com/mobile-mummy-800-15-degree/

Backcoutnry Bed
https://sierradesigns.com/backcountry-bed-800-15-degree/

I've been using two cheep bags and I'm tired of freezing when it gets down in to the 20's and 30's. I want to buy one good bag and add a liner (for added warmth and protect the bag elk hunting funk) and not be cold. It looks like I'll need a 20 to 30deg bag.

for those temps I'd recommend a good 15-20 deg bag and get a good pad

Thanks for everyones input. I usually hunt from a base camp in a tent or old trailer, neither of which has heat. I've been using two cheep bags and I'm tired of freezing when it gets down in to the 20's and 30's. I want to buy one good bag and add a liner (for added warmth and protect the bag elk hunting funk) and not be cold. It looks like I'll need a 20 to 30deg bag.

If weight is no concern, go 0 degree.

Look at the Army modular sleeping bag system. You can use all of the pieces together in cold weather and be good -0, or use pieces as needed for warmer temperatures.

The army bags are a great idea and may have been warm when they were first produced, but I suspect the surplus stuff has been stored in the compression sack for way, way too long. I picked one up pretty cheap thinking it would be a good truck camping bag. Then I proceeded to freeze my ass off the first cold night I spent in it.

Also, average height of the military must have been about 5’9” when they designed those bags.

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I have to chime in since I haven't seen what I think is the best sleeping bag out there. Do yourself a favor and get a Wiggy's sleeping bag. Do a little research on them. Watch some videos about them. I will never buy a different bag. I love the 0 degree bags(Super Light) with the Overbag. I also own an Ultra Light and an Ultima Thule model. Whatever model you choose I would definitely suggest getting the Overbag with it. The Overbag adds so much versatility and can be used by itself if you are camping in the middle of a hot summer.

https://www.wiggys.com

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back