Plowing Snow

I grew up plowing snow in the woods, without wind, so not applicable to your situation.
My brother's driveway in NW Iowa (as flat and treeless as it gets) is raised above the surrounding fields and the wind blows it clean of snow. Not sure if your situation permits such civil engineering, but might be less hassle than that jalopy coming from Michigan.

I guess one good thing about farming is we've got a couple big front end-loaders and a bunch of tractors with not much to do until it all melts, so there's a blade always hooked up. Some years we don't get much snow, last year we got dumped on, but we always have wind so I know what a pain the drifts can be. Good luck!

Sometimes, for a short period of time, the drifts aren't all bad. One of the gandkids.
Drifted.jpg
But then you remember you have clean it all up.

Last edited:
Our 90 hp Kubota with a rear 8' blade and front end loader bucket is unstoppable. Might be a bit overkill for your place though. But I like overkill when it comes to equipment.

Question for the folks. Would this be up for the job? Dad left it, but we aren’t sure we want to get rid of it yet.

Attachments

• 0AB3200B-B6EA-4070-9F46-A7BD71F174B4.jpg
    0AB3200B-B6EA-4070-9F46-A7BD71F174B4.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 154
I've got 1/4 mile long driveway, As most know Wind is always an issue in SD.

1st year I built my house I figured id be able to get by with just a my loader tractor (Case 5140 MFD) that I bought for the farm and save some money by not purchasing a blower for the rear. New years came that first winter and we had a 3 day blizzard. That sunday morning I went out and started moving snow, 9 hours later, I finally broke through and reached the highway. I couldn't believe it took me that long and by the end of the next week I owned a 8' snow blower. Never takes me more than 30-40 minutes now and that's if I DO break a set of sheer pins.

Bite the bullet and get a blower. I've got one for sale if you want to trip to SD and get it:D

Southern Elk- This 2015 30 hp John Deere is perfect for your place. For sale in Helena. I think you could pick up a blower for the rear, but the blade/bucket combo would be plenty to start. Maybe just tire chains and you'd be plowin' We had one of these (2014 model) and you can get a drive-on mower deck that would keep your property nice n clean too. You would find yourself using this thing all year long. Plus, it builds really nice snowmobile jumps easily for when you get a snowmobile. The hydrostatic drive is very easy for anyone to operate- incase you're out hunting and the wife and kids need to plow, or cut the grass, or haul hay, or grade the driveway, etc, etc. :)

https://butte.craigslist.org/grd/d/2015-john-deere-3033r-for-sale/6434381001.html

with a blade/plow you will want to get out often, dont let it pile up. The blower option allows you to do it less often. As for a snow fence, shrubs/trees will prove what is needed and then can add in a roll out fence if you hear of extra crap weather.

Question for the folks. Would this be up for the job? Dad left it, but we aren’t sure we want to get rid of it yet.

That with weights and chains is more than enough. I use a 1983 JD 318 which is that ones little brother for all my personal snow removal and small food plot maintenance. These are great tractors capable of way more than what most think.

Timeontarget, at the time it was new this was a high end garden tractor. They came with a differential lock which is that red pedal and options of a 3 point hitch and FEL. It will do most any job needed on a less than 5 acre hobby farm when properly equipped.

Last edited:
Southern Elk- This 2015 30 hp John Deere is perfect for your place. For sale in Helena. I think you could pick up a blower for the rear, but the blade/bucket combo would be plenty to start. Maybe just tire chains and you'd be plowin' We had one of these (2014 model) and you can get a drive-on mower deck that would keep your property nice n clean too. You would find yourself using this thing all year long. Plus, it builds really nice snowmobile jumps easily for when you get a snowmobile. The hydrostatic drive is very easy for anyone to operate- incase you're out hunting and the wife and kids need to plow, or cut the grass, or haul hay, or grade the driveway, etc, etc. :)

https://butte.craigslist.org/grd/d/2015-john-deere-3033r-for-sale/6434381001.html

That's a really nice tractor. I called and priced a new 40 hp Kubota yesterday. It didn't have the hydrostatic transmission or the plow blade on the loader. It was $26,000.

This looks good for clearing sidewalks of up to about 8 inches of fairly powdery snow. It might work for larger jobs, but you'll find that running a bigger piece of equipment will get the job done much more efficiently with less wear and tear on that piece of equipment than a small piece of equipment. Most people tend to beat the hell out of stuff when they're plowing snow anyhow, so having something that will stand up to the stress and strain of the job is tantamount. On smaller pieces of equipment, pins and bushings wear out faster, pto couplings wear out faster, and you'll have to have the throttle wide open and the engine screaming to get any power out of that thing. Get something bigger with more torque.

Maybe this analogy will help: Think of it like trying to pound a railroad spike-sized nail into a log with a framing hammer vs. a 10 lb sledgehammer. With the framing hammer, you might get it done, but you'll be trying to make up for the lack of weight by swinging that thing extra hard. You'll probably miss a time or two and nick the wooden handle up near the head and over time it'll break. A sledgehammer has enough mass to get the job done without the wild swings and you can take slower, more controlled swings.

That's a really nice tractor. I called and priced a new 40 hp Kubota yesterday. It didn't have the hydrostatic transmission or the plow blade on the loader. It was $26,000.
I personally would go with a Bobcat or similar skid steer unit with a blower attachment. You'll find the skid steer will be way more versatile and useful in the off season for about the same amount of money. Call around to the local tractor dealerships and see if you can pick up a used one.

We get a ton of snow where I'm at, 6+ feet last year. I use a John Deere Skidsteer with a bucket and a angle snowplow with wings. It works great, and I can bust through drifts and stack snow 12 feet high if I need to.

I personally would go with a Bobcat or similar skid steer unit with a blower attachment. You'll find the skid steer will be way more versatile and useful in the off season for about the same amount of money. Call around to the local tractor dealerships and see if you can pick up a used one.

I'm looking for a used tractor, but I agree with you that a Bobcat would be the best option. Even used they are expensive.

Maybe this analogy will help: Think of it like trying to pound a railroad spike-sized nail into a log with a framing hammer vs. a 10 lb sledgehammer. With the framing hammer, you might get it done, but you'll be trying to make up for the lack of weight by swinging that thing extra hard. You'll probably miss a time or two and nick the wooden handle up near the head and over time it'll break. A sledgehammer has enough mass to get the job done without the wild swings and you can take slower, more controlled swings.
You're talking to someone who has plowed roads with a D-9 cat (after using a D4) so I get that a bigger hammer is better, even in spite that horrible analogy ;). After I posted the pic I remembered SE had a pretty long driveway and that dad's toy would be under gunned. But I was skiing knee-deep powder and wasn't going to stop to help you guys. (Southern Elk, we have a saying up here, no friends on a powder day :D)

You're talking to someone who has plowed roads with a D-9 cat (after using a D4) so I get that a bigger hammer is better, even in spite that horrible analogy ;).

Ha! My imagination gave out on me... it was all I could come up with at the time.
That must've been a lot of snow! As a kid, one of my most memorable plowing experiences was pushing back giant piles in March after a winter's worth of heavy snow with a D-2. Amazing what weight and torque will do.

Update: I haven't bought anything yet, but I looked at a nice New Holland tractor this morning. I'm curious if you guys think it's sufficient? It's a 37 hp 4x4 with a loader and hydrostatic transmission. I'm thinking about using the loader and a box blade on the rear to start with. I could always get a snowblower for the rear if needed.

Update: I haven't bought anything yet, but I looked at a nice New Holland tractor this morning. I'm curious if you guys think it's sufficient? It's a 37 hp 4x4 with a loader and hydrostatic transmission. I'm thinking about using the loader and a box blade on the rear to start with. I could always get a snowblower for the rear if needed.

37hp wont turn much of a blower so be aware of that. my 5140 is 113hp and I can really make it grunt with my 8ft blower on hard wind driven snow drifts.. I wouldn't want any less HP in my situation.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back