Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Plowing Snow

Can you drive around the drifted area if you go on the neighbors? This would be the first thing I would find out vs keeping the road plowed at all times. If you have an emergency it would be good to have an escape route that didn't involve plowing snow.

Ask to put up snow fence on the neighbors.

I'd look into getting a bobcat or backhoe, or make friends with someone who has one.

Where about in the valley? Some parts get a lot more snow than others. How far off the county road or highway?

Might could drive on the neighbors on the side above the road in an emergency. It's not fenced. Sent you a PM. You'll know exactly where it is.

I was going to ask how you are liking the wind so far. ;)

We knew what we were getting into, but you never get used to it. I'd rather it be zero degrees and calm than 35 degrees and windy. We are always amazed when we drive over to Bozeman and there is no wind.

One mile long driveway in northeast Iowa. I put up 26 rolls of snow fence that covers 1/2 the driveway (the good wooden stuff). I can do it in 4 hours with the help of 4 kids. I repay the kids by umpiring Little league during the summer for free. Best investment I made. Wind blows terrible across the plains of Iowa. Most of the snow is stopped. I also have a blade for my truck. NOTE: as stated it will ONLY move a limited amount of snow. If it drifts and freezes like concrete....... you are SOL :) The best option is a tractor and blower.

Another NOTE: I put the fence on the neighbors property. Just ask..... what else they gonna do with that land when it's frozen and snow covered.

If you need tips for putting up snow fence fast.... just ask me :)

good luck to all
the dog

attachment.php

And some years the fence disappears :)
attachment.php

Last edited:
I think snow fence and a tractor with a blower is your best bet. My second choice would be something with a front loading bucket. My Dad lives on top of the biggest hill around and is surrounded by nothing but hayfields. The wind blows constantly. He uses a tractor with a blade on the back and has been stuck quite a few times. As others stated, plowing deep snow only builds a mound on the edges that only increases the drifts.

Budget will drive your decision and the frequency that you must plow. Lots of snow creates its own problem if you only have the ability to pull/push an angled blade but have no way to remove the snow far enough away from the road edge that you don't start creating walls that will eventually close in on you. A mid sized 4x4 tractor 30+ HP with a front angled blade is pretty useful.

if your gonna plow push snow, plow/ push it as far as possible away from the road the first time you touch it, like 100 yards or more will give you room later to keep plowing, up wind side of road start plowing trenches parallel to each other for your own snow fence, leave couple feet between each one,, i plow 3/4 mile road and sometimes up to 4 miles so we can get to work and the other couple residents can make it, i have a 50hp mahindra 4wd with 7ft bucket and an 8ft blade ( no cab) sometimes i plow every couple hours all night and day to keep up with it,

the first time you touch snow is the easiest it gets harder to move every time after even with a blower and its hard with a rear mount blower on your neck after 8-10 hours,,,,,

It certainly looks like some sort of blower is my best option. I'm sure the most economical option will be a rear mounted blower on a tractor. That's going to suck having to be in reverse the entire time. I've used tractors my whole life and there's nothing worse on your neck than having to work in reverse for extended lengths of time. My neck hurts just typing that.

if your gonna plow push snow, plow/ push it as far as possible away from the road the first time you touch it, like 100 yards or more will give you room later to keep plowing, up wind side of road start plowing trenches parallel to each other for your own snow fence, leave couple feet between each one,,

I open the driveway (snow to downwind side), then blade another path (or two) parallel to and about 20 ft upwind of driveway and that path(s) will fill in full before driveway drifts shut. Of course, I'm not dealing with feet of snow at a time here...

Hire somebody to plow it out for you. Lots of folk need the work. Cheaper than buying your own plow rig.

I've thought about this. It would definitely be cheaper. The problem is we have to come out every morning for work and school. I don't know if I could count on someone else to get it done in time.

snowmobiles for all, I tried the hire some one first year I was in my new place, 4300.00 later my wife said " get a tractor" she don't care how long I sit on it without a cab,,,,,

Hire somebody to plow it out for you. Lots of folk need the work. Cheaper than buying your own plow rig.

I wonder if you could hire someone for the bad drifting days, but for other days a cheaper option, like a truck would work? Seems like getting permission from your neighbors for a snow fence could go a long way.

I wonder if you could hire someone for the bad drifting days, but for other days a cheaper option, like a truck would work? Seems like getting permission from your neighbors for a snow fence could go a long way.

Yes, that's an option. So is parking a vehicle at the county maintained road and driving out on an ATV or snowmobile (cross-country if it's drifted too bad for the ATV). I'm sure the kids would love it, but I don't think my wife would.

This is what I do "unfortunately" for a living in the winter. The suggestions of a blower are right on the mark. I use a truck but have found if you want a road or driveway cleared in a windy area a blower is the only way to go. It won't take you that long with a blower. I can't imagine your neck hurting as bad as mine. I just got in and have been plowing since 11 am yesterday with only a break from 1:30am-4:30am this morning. If you ask why not use your mirrors I'll tell you that you can't see the stupid college girl who's decided to pull right behind you as your trying to clear her lot at the apartments. Man I hate my job.

I’ve done it in a large Cat and Fiat front end loader with a 20’ snow scoop! Never had a problem with college girls getting in the way. I loved that job! Seeing you didn’t give us a budget my vote is for this:
09D2D860-C41B-4D69-B06D-41EEFC804ED6.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what I do "unfortunately" for a living in the winter. The suggestions of a blower are right on the mark. I use a truck but have found if you want a road or driveway cleared in a windy area a blower is the only way to go. It won't take you that long with a blower. I can't imagine your neck hurting as bad as mine. I just got in and have been plowing since 11 am yesterday with only a break from 1:30am-4:30am this morning. If you ask why not use your mirrors I'll tell you that you can't see the stupid college girl who's decided to pull right behind you as your trying to clear her lot at the apartments. Man I hate my job.

I hear this next round coming in is going to be worse than the last. Better rest up.

I’ve done it in a large Cat and Fiat front end loader with a 20’ snow scoop! Never had a problem with college girls getting in the way. I loved that job! Seeing you didn’t give us a budget my vote is for this:
View attachment 78314

I tell you what, you buy me one of those and I'll have a place for you to stay on your next hunt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back