Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Plowing Snow

Southern Elk

I wanted to hear people's opinions on the best method to plow snow. We will be moving into a new house after the holidays and I will have to plow about 4/10ths of a mile of private road to get out to the county maintained road. The snow seems to drift really bad in this stretch. I initially planned on getting an ATV and plow, but I no longer think that is a viable option. The current owner is using a very small tractor and front end loader and spending hours busting drifts. This can't be a good solution either. So my question is whats the best option for clearing drifts that could be 2'-3' deep? Would a V plow on a truck do the trick? Is some type of snow blower on a tractor better? What other options do I have?

I can't help you on the snow plow question, but I would certainly think some snow fence would be a top priority.

I have some experience plowing commercially and residential. A pickup truck with an 8’ v plow will not move a 2 or 3’ deep drift that is more than a 4 or 5’ Long without killing the truck. We routinely get roads drifted like that and they quickly become traps that takes larger equipment to clear. If you get the snow fencing up you will likely be able to keep it from drifting shut and will clear it much easier. If you want to see what works you are more than welcome to come over and do ours with the big 4x4 tractor sporting a 8’ blade any time. Lol

I have a friend near McAllister who uses a logging chain on a pole out in his back yard to gauge the wind. He doesn't consider it windy until it's at a 45. Some of the snow in my yard comes from the Madison Valley.:p Good luck with that driveway................

^You are correct, Onpoint. The wind can be down right miserable. It's been howling for 3 straight days. We don't get a ton of snow. It's the drifts that I'm worried about.

Last edited:
I wanted to hear people's opinions on the best method to plow snow. We will be moving into a new house after the holidays and I will have to plow about 4/10ths of a mile of private road to get out to the county maintained road. The snow seems to drift really bad in this stretch. I initially planned on getting an ATV and plow, but I no longer think that is a viable option. The current owner is using a very small tractor and front end loader and spending hours busting drifts. This can't be a good solution either. So my question is whats the best option for clearing drifts that could be 2'-3' deep? Would a V plow on a truck do the trick? Is some type of snow blower on a tractor better? What other options do I have?

I have a similar situation. 1/4 mile driveway, then 1/2 mile private road. 4 residents on the street, all of us with tractors. I'll be using my tractor and FEL bucket. I'd like to get a front blade with hydraulics, but not sure it's "needed". I'm home office, so it's not a huge issue for me, but would like to say I'm a good neighbor if others need to get out.

There isn't snow fence up on the road, but I have snow fence up on my place. If you do place snow fence research on how and where it should be placed. I think the Wyo Ag site has some good info, but I can't find my link right now. If I do I'll post it.

BTW, I've used a quad with a blade for a 1/2 mile driveway at the previous residence, not fun!

Run into your situation on a regular basis at work, fortunately we have a FEL to clear any roads we need to access. A truck with a v-plow should be fine for your situation, you might have to add some tire chains and make a couple passes at the really thick stuff, but you should be fine. You could probably find a good used truck or tractor with a plow already installed for cheap on a government auction site or public surplus.

I get the same issue only most likely not as much snow as you. we don't get a tremendous amount of snow but the wind is nasty and consistent. My drive is 200' long. I have a blade on SXS and it works well until the drift gets to be about 3' high and crusted. At that point I usually just slab off chunks with a shovel and then push those out of the way with the plow. The best solution I have seen is a snow blower attachment on a skid steer. However, hard to justify unless you already have a skid steer.

We have a 8N ford tractor with a blower works well, trucks and plows are great but can easily get worn out quickly if not properly used causing added cost. Plowing can also add to the drifting problem by creating a ridge along your driveway where a snowblower will spread it out and away from the driveway. These are things I have noticed on the hunting land here in MN and on the ice roads to get to the fish houses.

I can tell you a back blade on a tiny tractor is not the way to go... A front mount snowblower is in my future... just need a tractor with a mid-mount pto first.

Can you drive around the drifted area if you go on the neighbors? This would be the first thing I would find out vs keeping the road plowed at all times. If you have an emergency it would be good to have an escape route that didn't involve plowing snow.

Ask to put up snow fence on the neighbors.

I'd look into getting a bobcat or backhoe, or make friends with someone who has one.

Where about in the valley? Some parts get a lot more snow than others. How far off the county road or highway?

Smaller tractor with loader on front and snow blower on the back and you will always be able to get out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back