ND Jackrabbits?

OhHeyThereBen

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of an area in North Dakota to find some jackrabbits? I love rabbit/squirrel hunting but have never had an opportunity to take a jack. Any insight?

That was 3 years ago. Rabbit populations cycle and jacks are on the low end but the tasty cottontail populations are high. More than one time I have seen hundreds of jacks in a single "group" in SW ND during the winter. The largest group I ever saw was located in the vicinity of an oil rig (with outbuildings and large storage tanks) during a blizzard. One of the craziest things I have ever witnessed. 200 rds (all I had with) of 223 was not nearly enough but it was fun. When it was over, it probably resembled a buffalo slaughter back in the day.

That was 3 years ago. Rabbit populations cycle and jacks are on the low end but the tasty cottontail populations are high. More than one time I have seen hundreds of jacks in a single "group" in SW ND during the winter. The largest group I ever saw was located in the vicinity of an oil rig (with outbuildings and large storage tanks) during a blizzard. One of the craziest things I have ever witnessed. 200 rds (all I had with) of 223 was not nearly enough but it was fun. When it was over, it probably resembled a buffalo slaughter back in the day.

I remember when I lived in WY during the early 80's.
North of Rock Springs Jacks were so thick you could walk around and wack'm with a baseball bat.

The 80s and early 90s in extreme SW ND were stupid thick with jackrabbits. Good times.

I have a problem with cottontails in my yard. I don't mind them eating a little grass but they eat it down to the dirt and then dig for some reason. Then they leave their dropping and pee and the grass will not grow in those spots.
I have started my campaign to thin out their numbers using my air rifle. Also they are quite tasty since they are grass fed. :rolleyes:

1027171829-01.jpg

Last edited:
The landfill in fargo use to be covered in them. I once saw 8 bald eagles flying over it one day. This was a few years back when I went to NDSU

There are a crap load of them in Southwest Fargo. But trying to find some to hunt has been tricky! Thanks for the replies guys! If any of you would like to chase some squirrels and bunnies in the Sheyenne Grasslands in the next month let me know!

Last edited:
Honestly I see very few jackrabbits. Grew up in northwest ND and didn't see many. Now I live in Bismarck and I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 all fall around here.

Funny. Like you I see tons of jackrabbits in South Fargo. Out by Fleet Farm and over by Mexican Village. Best bet would just keep going south a little more. Grasslands is a fun place. Good luck.

On a positive note, I just realized that rabbits are a non-game species in North Dakota! That means that my winter after 1/7/18 will still involve some hunting.

How in the world does a state decide that a squirrel is a game species and a rabbit is not? Seems strange to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back