Happy Wednesday! Who's up for an armed takeover?

Seems funny to me that a man with only 160 acres has upwards of 1000 cows. Then said man, refuses to pay more than $1,000,000 back for past due fines and penalties.

plumber1969 OMG exactly!!!!!! I guess thats how you can pay your attorney fees. Throw away the key.

The competence of those involved on the Feds side of things is a bit ridiculous. If they are not convicted of anything it will be because of problems with the prosecution not because they are innocent of any crimes.

Bundy is a pox on the landscape, in many respects a welfare con artist, and hardly a person who I have any appreciation for. That said, every person is afforded the same protections of the Sixth Amendment, even folks like Bundy. I may not like what he does or what he stands for, but I will defend his right to a fair trial as being paramount.

If the damn government prosecutors cannnot follow the rules they are asked to uphold, as is reported, this is the outcome. Can't blame Bundy, not his attorney, not the judge; just the prosecutors. If you can't follow the basics of criminal prosecution and you are a government prosecutor, then you might need to be employed elsewhere.

Nothing like stoking the fires for more anti-public land crap; elevating the Bundy boys to the undeserved position of Constitutional Oracles, then watch how much more of this "I own these public lands" crap we get to deal with. All because some prosecutors seem to think the Sixth Amendment is optional.

Good point Randy. This falls squarely in the lap of the government prosecutors, it's flat-out embarrassing that was the best they could do.

I think the prosecutors may have been handed a bag a crap and were trying to turn it into the gold every thought was there. Sounds like the BLM personnel really put the prosecutors in a tight spot legally but then they still tried to shoot for the moon.

There is still hope though. From the article

"Acting U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre had no immediate answer when asked by the Associated Press about whether prosecutors would retry the case, but according to Reuters, a new trial date was set for Feb. 26, 2018.

In a new trial, the Bundys and Payne still would face 15 felony charges including assault and threats against federal officers, firearms counts, obstruction and extortion."

I WOULD HOPE that the photos of those wannabe badass asshats on the overpass aiming rifles at Fed employees would be enough for some kind of conviction.

In my opinion the Bundy Clan should be treated like any other gang, and the government should go after them with RICO if possible, a big stretch I know.

I'll be honest, I think Bundy is a loon, but I haven't the time to follow the case and everything that went down.

Bundy is a pox on the landscape, in many respects a welfare con artist, and hardly a person who I have any appreciation for. That said, every person is afforded the same protections of the Sixth Amendment, even folks like Bundy. I may not like what he does or what he stands for, but I will defend his right to a fair trial as being paramount.

If the damn government prosecutors cannnot follow the rules they are asked to uphold, as is reported, this is the outcome. Can't blame Bundy, not his attorney, not the judge; just the prosecutors. If you can't follow the basics of criminal prosecution and you are a government prosecutor, then you might need to be employed elsewhere.

Nothing like stoking the fires for more anti-public land crap; elevating the Bundy boys to the undeserved position of Constitutional Oracles, then watch how much more of this "I own these public lands" crap we get to deal with. All because some prosecutors seem to think the Sixth Amendment is optional.
This should keep the already dead horse from being beaten to dust.

Seems funny to me that a man with only 160 acres has upwards of 1000 cows. Then said man, refuses to pay more than $1,000,000 back for past due fines and penalties.

Weird right? If my family farm of 150 acres started producing 10 times more bushels of corn or beans than it could possibly grow, you'd think we would have to answer for that.

At the next Family Farm meeting, I will have to suggest we get into cattle. Productivity per acre seems to be a hell of a lot higher.

Buddy's are not good people and I think that is quite simple. But as Randy stated they have the right to a fair trial. I grew in a community with their relatives and they do the same crap and try to lock people out, good thing for OnX maps. The sad thing is when it cost $1.87 per AUM (Animal unit month), it's already basically free. AUM is defined as what a 1000 pound cow and her calf need for grazing per month.

Bundy is a loon welfare entitlement rancher who should be in jail.
Seems to me the same Feds who lost this case are the ones losing every case against the enviro-wackos & we wind up paying their bills.

I have 140 ac of better range than the Bundys have in NV & good water. I can run a few head, part of the year.

RE: the number of acres and number of cows...

In some of the drier regions base property for holding a grazing permit is on the water you own/control and not on the land. Regardless, the idea of reciprocal base property was done away years ago and IIRC through the court system. Meaning, you do not have to have to be able to produce the forage on your base property to feed the number of animals on your permit. Base property could be a parking lot. That same change in base property rule has allowed some non-forage producing entities to hold grazing permits. Some of which have been 'championed' on this very site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back