Damn Bipartisan Crap ;)

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I like to point out how often our hunting, fishing, and conservation issues get solved in a bipartisan manner. This is a good example that is part of the Montana history of our delegation working on these kind of things, regardless of party. I can't give insight as to the level of bipartisan support other state delegations provide on hunting, fishing, and conservation issues, but the history Montana has on these efforts keeps my idealist senses alive that our issues are not partisan.

MT delegation.jpg

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...24b43505.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Thinking about the Montana legacy on these issues, I recall when Conrad Burns won his Senate seat on the platform of "No Net Gain" and many other less than favorable positions. In spite of a sporadic track record and a less than stellar reputation for concern of those who may not have been his core base, Burns came around to the idea of large landscape conservation, fighting the DC resistance to fund some of the most critical projects of the last twenty years. Before he passed, he was interviewed and asked what he found most gratifying of his time in the Senate. When he listed his landscape funding efforts as being toward the top, it made me smile; a "No Net Gainer," over time and through respectful engagement, became a reliable vote on large landscape issues.

Thanks for sharing Randy. As a hunter in California, I often times get depressed at the inability to simply have a productive discussion about anything, let alone hunting in a state where it is largely viewed as unfavorable. This makes my day.

I got to review this project this past summer but unfortunately work didn't allow for the onsite tour. I gave it a big thumbs up. More good work lead by the Trust For Public Land organization. Montana's projects usually always rank first or second in the nation and up to now have always been funded. Thanks mostly to TPL. Glad to see this one finally out in the media.

I admittedly am no fan of neither Gianforte nor Daines. I also was no fan of Conrad on a lot of things. Conrad always seemed a lot more genuine overall, however, governed in a different time than now. I hope things like this punctuate the other BS enough to keep some glimmer of hope going...... Agree, the MT delegations have usually seemed a little more in tune. MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE A LOT OF FOLKS HERE HAVE REALLY SHOWN UP FOR SPORTSMANS ISSUES AND OUR POLITICIANS ARE AWARE THAT WE ARE AWARE. Unless I'm completely out of touch, I firmly believe this to be true......

Last edited:
BF with regard to Mr. Burns, his ability to evolve a position over time would lead me to believe he was a good dude at the core, he just came from a different background with different ideas. I like good dudes. But our general ability as a society to elect good dudes as not good and getting worse every year.

Just an observation. A "forum" regarding public lands and hunters who hunt them.
Two posts back to back about possible "positives" regarding the above. A few replies to each over two days.
A post about plowing snow, something like 14 replies in a couple minutes.
All kinds of conversation on here lately about negativity, partisan bickering, hyperbole. Along comes a chance to weigh in on something political that's not much in the way of controversial or worth sniping (coming from one who doesn't mind the back and forth) at each other over, maybe even a step in the "right" direction - relative crickets.
The snowplowing post already took a political slant (slightly humorous...)..........
Carry on.

Just an observation. A "forum" regarding public lands and hunters who hunt them.
Two posts back to back about possible "positives" regarding the above. A few replies to each over two days.
A post about plowing snow, something like 14 replies in a couple minutes.
All kinds of conversation on here lately about negativity, partisan bickering, hyperbole. Along comes a chance to weigh in on something political that's not much in the way of controversial or worth sniping (coming from one who doesn't mind the back and forth) at each other over, maybe even a step in the "right" direction - relative crickets.
The snowplowing post already took a political slant (slightly humorous...)..........
Carry on.

I've been biting my tongue because I don't have much positive to add. I get that we should give them credit when they do something right, but lately one party seems like a dog that pisses in 9 out of 10 of my rooms. I'm unenthusiastic about complementing them for not ruining my carpet 10% of the time, especially on what looks to be the noncontroversial wishes of a private landowner. Short of Kerry White and real estate developers, who would oppose letting a private property owner limit future residential development on his own land?

What about Tester supporting timber industry jobs? That seems to be more of a cross the isle reach than what the other two are doing. [Just a general observation, not one pointed at Fin]

The truth is the absolute worst MONTANA democrat is going to be better than Gianforte or Daines on the vast majority of our issues. That's why I'm unenthusiastic about all this.

I've been biting my tongue because I don't have much positive to add. I get that we should give them credit when they do something right, but lately one party seems like a dog that pisses in 9 out of 10 of my rooms. I'm unenthusiastic about complementing them for not ruining my carpet 10% of the time, especially on what looks to be the noncontroversial wishes of a private landowner. Short of Kerry White and real estate developers, who would oppose letting a private property owner limit future residential development on his own land?

What about Tester supporting timber industry jobs? That seems to be more of a cross the isle reach than what the other two are doing. [Just a general observation, not one pointed at Fin]

The truth is the absolute worst MONTANA democrat is going to be better than Gianforte or Daines on the vast majority of our issues. That's why I'm unenthusiastic about all this.

Sour assed crap like this is exactly why your tribe keeps losing, Rob. Carry on.

The number of posts on a thread is not a measure of interest in that thread. I have learned a lot more here by listening than by talking. Sometimes the more noise in the room, the more diluted the message.

Agreed. I listen here a lot. mtmuley

This is where I'm at, and it's not a partisan thing, but I do know it sounds cynical. If someone $h!T$ on public lands 10 times, and does something nice once, is it ok to thank them? How about 100 to 1? When I do a good job at work, I don't expect the folks I work for to give me kudos every time. I'm open minded to both republicans and democrats, but thanking our elected officials every time they throw us a bone while they piss on the rest of the carcass feels too much like subservient suckerhood to me. At some point, and I've personally reached that point, I'm gonna look at the bones thrown my way as obvious political moves designed to manipulate. When those attempts at manipulation align with my interests, great. I would still like Montana to send both Gianforte and Daines packing for the greater good.

Religion and politics are not my strongest talking points. I will say this though, RobG has a point on the 9 out of 10 rooms. I’ve been wondering if the dog is drawing the spotlight to room number 10 just so he can go and crap in 1-9 again while we are still happy about # 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back