What would you include in your OH $%# Archery repair kit?

Arch Stanton

The last time I bow hunted it was 2001. Lots of rifle hunting since then. My friend and I jumped off the deep end this past August and went on a 9 day backpacking bow hunt for mule deer in Nevada. Some of the most fun I've ever had on 2 feet.......we didn't have much back-up gear if something went wrong with our bows or the rest of our archery equipment. I feel like we got lucky.

What would you carry on your person, or in your pack, to repair most issues with a bow in the field?

What skills should we learn to be better prepared to fix archery equipment and stay in the field?

Thanks!

On my person or in pack not a lot. Couple allens, some d loop material and a bit of serving thread. Back in the truck is a press, back up string and rest and pretty much anything else to fix anything but a messed up cam or limb. If I had a back up bow I would just bring that.

Last edited:
On me in the field: same as mplane72

Back in the truck: full assortment of stuff: My bow first aid kit (nocks, serving string, extra BH, field tips, judos, pliers, press, spare sight, whisker biscuit, wax, spare silencers, star and allen wrench set), spare arrows, flu flus, back up bow.

In my truck I carry far more than I will probably ever need, but it takes up minimal room and short of me shooting all 24 of my arrows, I can just about fix whatever I need to to keep hunting.

Luckily an extra string and stringer is all I need, longbow. I do carry an extra arm guard and shooting glove but can shoot without them if necessary.

if you know how to string a bow, a portable bow press. My buddy will vouch for that as his arrow fell off the string shooting at a grouse this fall and the string jumped off the cam lol! I vouch too cuz since he's my hunting partner I missed that next morning driving him to great falls to get his bow restrung, I blame randy for getting the kid addicted to shooting grouse loL!

The fewest Allen wrenches needed to tighten a loose sight/rest/quiver/etc. I wrap mine tight with a rubber band; I think I have three that I need to adjust/tighten those items.

Extra D-loops; also, practice attaching one a few times in the offseason so you are comfortable with the process.

Drop away rest cord; same thing -- review the instructions, hit up YouTube, etc. so you are familiar. Not always the easiest process, depending on the rest you use.

2-3 extra nocks and a woodscrew. I cracked a nock once by bumping the ends of my arrows on a rock. Didn't notice it until after the hunt, but if you were to damage several in a fall, bump on rocks, etc. a few miles in, you just reduced your 5 or 6 arrows down to 3 or 4. The woodscrew allows you to get a broken nock out of the arrow if it breaks off too far down or flush with the end of the arrow. Just twist the threads in a bit, and slowly pull the broken nock out. Works great.

Broadhead wrench. No one needs to end a hunt by hand tightening or replacing a broadhead in the field and slicing the hell out of your hand. Cheap insurance.

All of it fits in the same little Ziploc baggy the drop away cord came in.

Last edited:
Set of Allen wrenches. A couple of extra nockings. Some serving thread. If I can't fix the problem with those items it probably needs to be on a bow press anyway.

D loop material, allen wrenches on me. Target back at camp/truck. I'd like to have an extra sight or pins for my sight. I broke a pin one hunt and didn't have any way of fixing it. Just hoped I wouldn't need that 40 yard pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back