Caribou Gear

MT FWP Tentative Season setting meetings

This is good news, but the Spotted Dog population boom is a good example of why I think managing multiple districts under EMUs is not a good idea.

Spotted Dog is in District 215. Districts 215,318, and 335 are managed as one EMU. 800 B tags allocated a year. Here's a picture of that EMU, Spotted Dog being in the upper left hand in purple. Elk that live and winter on the east side have nothing to do with the Spotted Dog Elk IMO.

EMU.jpg

And here's a graph of populations in the EMU and by district.

EMUGraph.jpg

I'm glad they are recognizing that the population is thick on Spotted Dog, and not elsewhere in this instance, but 800 b tags are allocated for these 3 districts and I think a disproportionate portion of the pressure falls on 335 on the east side, a district where 700 elk were counted in the 2016-17 winter survey.

That's why I'm an advocate for managing on a finer scale.

I'm glad that was shut down. WMA's were established to protect animals in the winter, not provide a place to hunt them. That's ridiculous that they even considered that.

Good to see it get shut down.

We got notice that our tax meeting is tomorrow, so I'm out for tonight unfortunately. Going to be chasing receipts and getting ready for the IRS to show us how much they love us small business owners.

Don't a lot of the cows in 215 spend a good portion of their time on the private land down low in the upper Clark Fork? Seems like I can usually see a couple hundred in the pivots when I drive through on the highway.

I hope everyone takes the time to comment on the proposed changes, it only takes a few minutes. Here are the links to enter your comments. It doesn't make much sense to complain and then not submit any comments to FWP.

Proposed Youth Season:

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2017/4DayYouthHuntProposed.html

Deer seasons (includes proposed new LE unit 103):

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2017/2018-2019deerSeasons.html

Elk seasons:

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/publicComments/2017/2018-2019elkSeasons.html

14 public in attendance tonight in Havre.

Presentation on CWD sparked good conversation.

I brought up a few questions about youth hunt and wasn't called a kid hater....at least to my face. I was told the 4 vs the 2 day hunt would only occur about 1 in 5 years. 16 and 17 yo would not require an adult as long as hunters safety course had been taken and hunting in a permit area would possibly be allowed if the "youth" had said permit (a little confusion that one).

I will submit comments tomorrow.

Good crowd in Hamilton last night. Had to leave early, but heard most of what I wanted to. mtmuley

Good crowd in Hamilton last night. Had to leave early, but heard most of what I wanted to. mtmuley

I counted 65.

Interesting comment from a landowner in HD262. "the damn mule deer are pest and so are the hunters, so what is FWP going to do to help with too many deer"

I found it interesting that although 262 was never meant to be a "trophy" area, it has become one. Now, amongst complaints from landowners, and evidence there are too many deer, some were against any additional harvest of bucks. mtmuley

I found it interesting that although 262 was never meant to be a "trophy" area, it has become one. Now, amongst complaints from landowners, and evidence there are too many deer, some were against any additional harvest of bucks. mtmuley

This is happening in the entire state in my opinion . Look at all the complaining that goes on cuz people can't find huge bucks every day

I went to the meeting in Lewistown last night. There were about 40 people there, unfortunately there wasn't a very good turnout from sportsmen. Most of the hunters didn't speak up for fear of getting ran out of town. FWP said their reasoning for extending the shoulder seasons until February 15th was because all the different dates made things confusing and they wanted them to be consistent. I liked the recommendation of just ending them all on January 15th.

By who?

Why would anyone not speak their mind?

because A lot of people are big talkers on the internet, but when it comes time to voice their opinion about cutting season length,tags,etc in person, they bottle up.

And what are the landowners fired up about ? Too many deer ? How many hunters they allow ? Same old song and dance

And what are the landowners fired up about ? Too many deer ? How many hunters they allow ? Same old song and dance

Too many elk, too many people asking to hunt, neighbors not allowing hunting, etc. Actually two landowners complained about lack of deer which was good to hear them say something about it.

I was really impressed with one landowner that spoke up. He has a pretty big place that is in block management. He knew he was going to piss a lot of people off by saying it but he called out a lot of the other people in the room saying that the elk problem is a result of landowners being greedy rather than bad management by FWP. It took some balls for him to do that.

Too many elk, too many people asking to hunt, neighbors not allowing hunting, etc. Actually two landowners complained about lack of deer which was good to hear them say something about it.

I was really impressed with one landowner that spoke up. He has a pretty big place that is in block management. He knew he was going to piss a lot of people off by saying it but he called out a lot of the other people in the room saying that the elk problem is a result of landowners being greedy rather than bad management by FWP. It took some balls for him to do that.

I tend to agree with him . And good for him . Took nerve to do that

For anyone interested in how the final public meeting played out in Gardiner (Region 3 ) here is my take on it:

1. Multi generational Gardiner residents seem to have little respect for FWP biologists, wolves, and Native Americans. It is mind blowing to me that many folks can not grasp that treaty rights are not policed by FWP. So much time was wasted by folks griping about treaty rights to FWP biologists.
2. The wolf quota issue surrounding the northern border of YNP is very interesting. The biological research (conducted by FWP) suggests a quota of approx 6 wolves however public comment to support a lower quota of 2 has won out to benefit the ecotourism industry. There seemed to be equal representation from folks who support an increased quota and folks who support a decreased quota.
3. The long-time local residents and outfitters are still upset over the closure of bull elk hunting for the final two weeks of the season in 313. They blame wolves and Native Americans alone for the low bull/cow ratios. FWP has no plans to return to a 5 week branch antlered bull season in 313 until the surveys show a branch antlered bull/cow ratio of 12/100 in 313 or a ratio of 23ish/100 across the northern range. Spike bull numbers are up according to FWP biologist but we still seem to be few years away from the recovery goals that could result in the reopening of a 5 week season in 313.
4. Very few folks at the meeting seemed to give a hoot about mule deer, antelope, moose, sheep, goat, etc. Once elk and wolves were discussed, many folks left the meeting.

Obviously, other topics were discussed but the above issues seemed to dominate the meeting.

I didn't hear one comment regarding wolves in Hamilton but I had to leave before the meeting was over. Interesting. Lively mule deer discussion though. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back