Caribou Gear

MT FWP Tentative Season setting meetings

tjones

Show up and be heard.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) is requesting public review and comment on proposed hunting regulations for 2018-2019. Proposals address many topics and include seasons and quotas for Deer, Elk, Antelope/Moose/Sheep/Goat/Bison, Black Bear/Mountain Lion/Wolf, and Turkey/Upland Game Bird/Migratory Game Bird. There are also proposals dealing with hunting district (HD) Boundaries, season dates, the biennially-adopted quota ranges for licenses and permits, exemptions to the ban on urine used in scents, and a 4-Day youth-only deer season, instead of the current 2-day, in years when MEA days do not immediately precede the opening of the general big game season. Except for the proposed changes and regular calendar rotation, the 2017 regulations are being re-proposed for 2018 and 2019. For reference, the 2017 regulations are available on the FWP website: http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/ Additionally, 46 public meetings are scheduled at locations across Montana through much of January for the proposed 2018-2019 hunting seasons.

Some of the major changes being proposed include:
- Exemptions to the Ban on Ungulate Urine used in scents.
- Making the antelope 900-20 archery license a first and only choice with a separate earlier drawing.
- A citizen proposal to make a portion of HD 103 a limited-draw buck permit area.
- Adopt elk season structure for the 43 hunting districts that had shoulder seasons in 2016 on an annual basis rather than biennial to facilitate evaluation of their efficacy and revisiting their adoption on a 3-year cycle.
- In all hunting districts in Regions 1, 2 and 4 make it illegal to take a female mountain goat accompanying a kid or a female mountain goat in a group that contains one or more kids.
- Establish a 4-Day youth-only deer season, instead of the current 2-day, in years when MEA days do not immediately precede the opening of the general big game season.

Information and opportunity to comment can be found on our website under “Opportunity for Public Comment” at fwp.mt.gov/hunting/ or directly by using the links below. Public comments on these proposals will be accepted until January 24nd at 5 p.m. with final adoption at the February Commission meeting.

To read more and comment on the proposals follow the links provided below

2018-2019 Deer Hunting Seasons
· FWP Proposals
· Citizen proposal to make a portion of HD 103 a limited-draw buck permit area

2018-2019 Elk Hunting Seasons
· FWP Proposals
· Adopt elk season structure for the 43 hunting districts that had shoulder seasons in 2016 on an annual basis rather than biennial to facilitate evaluation of their efficacy and revisiting their adoption on a 3-year cycle.
2018-2019 Antelope; Moose/Sheep/Goat/Bison and Bear/Lion/Wolf Hunting Seasons

2018-2019 Turkey/Upland Game Bird/Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seasons

2018-2019 Proposed Biennial Quotas, Hunting Season Dates, and Hunting District Boundary Changes– Proposed

2018-2019 Helena Urban Deer Plan Quotas

2018-2019 Game Damage/Management/Wildlife Health and Special CWD Hunt Quota Authorizations

Criteria for Exception on Ban on Ungulate Urine from Chronic Wasting Disease Positive States (per SB173)

Establish a 4-Day youth-only deer season, instead of the current 2-day, in years when MEA days do not immediately precede the opening of the general big game season

For further clarification or additional materials, you may call the Wildlife Division office at 406-444-2612 or email [email protected]. Comments will be accepted online from the hunting homepage fwp.mt.gov/hunting/ under ‘Opportunity for Public Comment or by using any of the links above; in writing sent to the address above; and by email to [email protected]

I guess I should have titled the thread “Whats the best caliber for elk”

I know FWP meetings aren’t as sexy for hunters as picking the next set of mittens but I see it every biannual season setting. At most 20 guys show up at the meetings then when the regs come out the forums light up with posts about how FWP is shoving new regs down our throats without anyone knowing before hand. Here in the Root there has been lots of work put into the tentatives to get to this point with lots more work to do. I’m sure it’s no different across the state. Take a minute from debating which boot grease to try next, :) read about the upcoming changes in your area and show up at your meetings.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=83897

Deer
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=83881

Elk
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=71326

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to attending in my corner of the state.

Any idea what’s prompting the change in mule deer 261.

The deer link is current, but i think the elk link is out of date.

Do you think a 220 grain bullet is enough to take down a snowbound, half starved, pregnant February shoulder season cow elk?

Last edited:
Any idea what’s prompting the change in mule deer 261.

Do you think a 220 grain bullet is enough to take down a snowbound, half starved, pregnant February shoulder season cow elk?

I think the majority of tag holders focus on 262. I hunt strictly the high country in 261. Last Fall I didn't encounter any permit holders. 262 gets hammered by archery hunters. I'm all for it. Maybe it will up the odds for guys that don't want to kill a tame deer. mtmuley

I guess I should have titled the thread “Whats the best caliber for elk”

I know FWP meetings aren’t as sexy for hunters as picking the next set of mittens but I see it every biannual season setting. At most 20 guys show up at the meetings then when the regs come out the forums light up with posts about how FWP is shoving new regs down our throats without anyone knowing before hand. Here in the Root there has been lots of work put into the tentatives to get to this point with lots more work to do. I’m sure it’s no different across the state. Take a minute from debating which boot grease to try next, :) read about the upcoming changes in your area and show up at your meetings.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=83897

Deer
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=83881

Elk
http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=71326

Tony- your elk link is taking me to the 2015 master list, not this year's. Looks like fwp put the wrong one online.

Here's a link to all the changes for anyone interested-

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/default.html#publicComment

Last edited:
I think the majority of tag holders focus on 262. I hunt strictly the high country in 261. Last Fall I didn't encounter any permit holders. 262 gets hammered by archery hunters. I'm all for it. Maybe it will up the odds for guys that don't want to kill a tame deer. mtmuley

Makes sense. Thank you.

DO you think a 220 grain bullet is enough to take down a snowbound, half starved, pregnant February shoulder season cow elk that has been hunted for 6 months?

No kidding and fixed it for you.

Tony- your elk link is taking me to the 2015 master list, not this year's. Looks like fwp put the wrong one online.

Here's a link to all the changes for anyone interested-

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/default.html#publicComment

Thanks Randy. That link was straight off my email packet from yesterday. I have looked at the R2 elk stuff so much I didn't check. My mistake.

Interesting goat change.

MOUNTAIN GOAT
Regions 1, 2, and 4: In all hunting districts in Regions 1, 2 and 4 it is illegal to take a female
mountain
goat accompanying a kid or a female mountain goat in a group that contains one or
more kids.

And this on deer. I don't think I have ever seen a proposal like this before.

Mule Deer
HD 103: A proposal from Libby-area sportsmen to make a portion of HD 103 a limited
draw permit area for mule deer bucks. FWP proposes no change from the current any
antlered buck. More information available at FWP.mt.gov

Last edited:
And this on deer. I don't think I have ever seen a proposal like this before.

Mule Deer
HD 103: A proposal from Libby-area sportsmen to make a portion of HD 103 a limited
draw permit area for mule deer bucks. FWP proposes no change from the current any
antlered buck. More information available at FWP.mt.gov

I'll admit I don't know anything about this area, but I hope it passes. It wouldn't hurt my feelings any to get more limited quota mule deer areas in MT.

Maybe it will up the odds for guys that don't want to kill a tame deer. mtmuley

I'm willing to bet the 261 odds get worse, at least the first few years. I don't think most people applying for that tag realize that the big bucks are killed in a different numbered unit, and will just select 261 like they have for years. I'm just glad they're looking at only doing 15 tags, when they first proposed the split tags the quotas were much higher.

The 900 pronghorn change should help the increasingly poor rifle tag odds.

Thanks for sharing. These meetings are actually interesting and if you've never gone I recommend going.

I'll be asking the local bio about this:

Remove unlimited mule deer buck permits and go to an any buck (HDs 318, 335,
339, 343) or Either-sex (HDs 329, 340) season.

In 2015, 497 people got an unlimited permit in 335. I can only assume that allowing folks to not declare the district they will be limited to will increase the amount of hunters. I doubt there are 500 bucks in 335 at all. At least they didn't do the same in the Elkhorns, which I would argue is the most over hunted mule deer district in Montana. 1085 unlimited permits were allocated in 2015 for that district . It's shameful.

I'm willing to bet the 261 odds get worse, at least the first few years. I don't think most people applying for that tag realize that the big bucks are killed in a different numbered unit, and will just select 261 like they have for years. I'm just glad they're looking at only doing 15 tags, when they first proposed the split tags the quotas were much higher.

The 900 pronghorn change should help the increasingly poor rifle tag odds.

Guess I'll just have to beat the odds then.

I'll admit I don't know anything about this area, but I hope it passes. It wouldn't hurt my feelings any to get more limited quota mule deer areas in MT.

Its nice to see a bit of a change from all out opportunity to more of a quality hunt.

The elk link now works as well.

Huge expansion of shoulder seasons across the state. It'll soon be harder to poach an elk in Montana than kill one legally.

The elk link now works as well.

Huge expansion of shoulder seasons across the state. It'll soon be harder to poach an elk in Montana than kill one legally.

I still can't get the elk master list to open. Do you have a link that works?

Back